PDA

View Full Version : Rear end problems?? - heard a pop and saw sparks

Dean68
04/18/2013, 06:32 PM
I was driving 60mph and I heard a loud pop sound and looked out the side mirror just in time to see some sparks near the rear wheel. I only saw the sparks for a second or so and thought I blew a tire up. But then it was driving fine and I knew it wasn't a flat. I stopped around 1/4 mile later to check it out. The passenger side near the brakes/axle was smoking some leaked oil because I have a rear axle seal that has been leaking but not enough to ever need to add any. But something was hot as can be around the brakes and end of rear axle. It smoked for a couple of minutes.

I had it towed to a reputable shop. I think they told me they tried the following: they spun one wheel, the other side didn't move at all and vice versa. They also tried to pull an axle shaft but it didn't want to slide out.

What is the best way to test the rear end and how tough of a time is it going to be to get part? used or new?

What could have caused sparks? The brakes seemed fine.

Thanks

Triathlete
04/18/2013, 07:24 PM
The sparks/smoke were probably a result of the combination of heat build up and leaked fluids. The heat may be from bad wheel bearings or a stuck brake caliper. Of course it could be something entirely different. But I would start with those.

LittleBeast
04/18/2013, 08:58 PM
OF COURSE THE AXLE WOULD NOT SLIDE OUT!!!!! Do not let a shop work on your rear axles they will ruin your ABS sensor and charge you to replace it! ABS sensor MUST BE REMOVED to remove rear axle. I guarantee you they did not know this and if they put a gear puller on it they probably already ruined your ABS speed sensor. Good luck.

Dean68
04/19/2013, 06:09 AM
I got a bit more information this morning. The shop said that when they first had it up in the air, one wheel would spin and the other didn't. Then they took it down, drove it and put it back up. Then the other wheel would spin but the first one didn't.

When they tried to pull the axle shafts, they did remove the speed sensors but couldn't get the axle shafts out.

Dean68
04/19/2013, 08:14 PM
The ring and pinion are bad. Now the shop is searching for used replacements. If they can't find one, they will rebuild.

VXorado
04/19/2013, 11:46 PM
OF COURSE THE AXLE WOULD NOT SLIDE OUT!!!!! Do not let a shop work on your rear axles they will ruin your ABS sensor and charge you to replace it! ABS sensor MUST BE REMOVED to remove rear axle. I guarantee you they did not know this and if they put a gear puller on it they probably already ruined your ABS speed sensor. Good luck.

I found this out the hard way last weekend. :_brickwal

subject47
04/20/2013, 06:33 AM
Wait they said the ring and pinion are bAd but drove it around.... Did you notice any grinding. Or loping in that 1/4 mile drove after the noise. And did they show you the third member. That is if the got the axle off. I have blown a few spiders and pinion/rings. You would notice after about 5 inches.

PK
04/20/2013, 05:55 PM
Are you sure you didn't hit something metalic laying on the road, and saw sparks coming off that as it moved over the road surface??
There is absolutely nothing that could fail inside your diff, make sparks that you could see, and then still be drivable for more than a few feet. Nothing!!!!!
Believe me - I have rebuilt hundreds of diffs.

That said, if your diff ran out of oil, the ring gear and pinion could be toast, but you would have heard that howling, and there would not have been any sparks.

I really think you need to look back on this whole event, and not be misled by what might have been a hasty conclusion that has led you down the wrong path.
I would also take it to another mechanic for a second opinion.

PK

Triathlete
04/20/2013, 06:08 PM
Are you sure you didn't hit something metalic laying on the road, and saw sparks coming off that as it moved over the road surface??
There is absolutely nothing that could fail inside your diff, make sparks that you could see, and then still be drivable for more than a few feet. Nothing!!!!!
Believe me - I have rebuilt hundreds of diffs.

That said, if your diff ran out of oil, the ring gear and pinion could be toast, but you would have heard that howling, and there would not have been any sparks.

I really think you need to look back on this whole event, and not be misled by what might have been a hasty conclusion that has led you down the wrong path.
I would also take it to another mechanic for a second opinion.

PK

X2 on the second opinion. Ring and pinion definately would not cause sparks.

SinJin
04/21/2013, 04:09 PM
Very odd that you'd see sparks from a ring and pinion and a possibly undamaged housing.

Good luck and let us know the conclusion of this adventure.

Dean68
04/22/2013, 11:52 AM
If it wasn't for the extreme smoking of the leaky axle oil arond the end of the rear end/brake area, I might have thought I just hit something on the road. It was smoking for a few minutes and I intially thought I might have to pull the fire extinguisher out. I wonder if it is possible that heat build up and bits of metal in the oil from the brakes just had a tiny explosion of some sort?

The shop had plenty of experience with rear ends. They were trying to find a used ring and pinion but could not find any. The last time I talked to the owner of the shop, he was looking for new parts. Is that even possible? I thought the Trooper had the same rear end and they are plentiful. Any suggestions?

thanks

BigSwede
04/22/2013, 03:16 PM
Sounds more like a wheel bearing to me. But if it was that bad I'd think it would make obvious grindy noises. Of course, the same could be said about the diff, too.