PDA

View Full Version : OT: PC memory... need opinions

Dallas4u
10/31/2003, 10:34 AM
As I have always done in the past, I have been updating my PC, piece by piece as I come across a good deal. Well, I've been running my nForce2 board for a bit now with an AMD XP 2500+ (OC'd to a 3200+), but only running it with PC2700 memory (in dual channel mode). It's time for me to buy 400mhz or higher memory.

I'm set on two dual channel kits... both GeIL. One is their Ultra Platinum PC3500 (2x256MB) kit (http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=27) , and the other is their Golden Dragon PC3200 (2x256MB) kit (http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=14). I can get them both for about the same price (give or take $1-$2).

Anyway, they both get really good reviews, and both seem to OC pretty well. I'm wondering if anyone has tried any Geil memory, or tell me whether PC3500 is going to make much difference (besides having it for future upgrading).

Apostle
10/31/2003, 11:36 AM
not sure, but try these boards.

these guys mod their comps constantly for games and what not

http://vnboards.ign.com/board.asp?brd=20770

this one is Dark age of camelot.

lot of techies here

VXMAN
10/31/2003, 11:40 AM
I can't really answer your question, but I've heard nothing but great things about Corsair memory. Read this review:
http://ohls-place.com/nuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3714

Good luck, and let's us know how you make out! I was just going to build a new pc and spent 3 solid days online doing research and pricing. After everything was said-&-done, I took the easy way out and bought a new Dell. Just couldn't pass on the Free 17" Flat panel upgrade! Plus, I couldn't build it cheaper! I got a P2.8 HT 800 FSB, 512MB DDR 400MHZ , DVD, 48X CD-RW, 40 Gig HD (have another 40 going in 2nd bay already) and good sound & graphic card, all for $1028. Ordered yesterday online, shipping today already! Can't wait to feel the difference from my current 950 AMD. Let the GAMES begin.

:D
Dave...

Apostle
10/31/2003, 11:49 AM
950 to 2.8, gonna love the differance.

last upgrade for me was a 333 to a 2.4. but i went with a HP. needed something right then and it works great, and i can play all the games :)

Dallas4u
10/31/2003, 12:46 PM
The Corsair memory (specifically the XMS series) is definitely great memory, along with Mushkin, KingMax, OCZ, Crucial, and a few others. For the price, though, Geil exploded on the scene not too long ago, and their memory has just been top notch.

VXMAN, you're right about pricing on PCs these days. Building your own use to save you money... now, you can buy an entire system (sometimes including an LCD monitor) for much less. I look at the Dell deals (with coupons and rebates) all the time. If I was in the market for something completely new I would definitely go this route.

When building my own PC, I usually buy stuff that I can expand on as much as possible. With many of the manufactured PCs out there you can only upgrade to a certain point. You usually can't throw on a quicker processor if you want to, and sometimes the motherboards will only take certain types of RAM.

Anyway, I know either memory kit will be great... but I just decided to buy some stuff from REI.com, so now I'm just trying to decide if I want to spend another $115 on memory.

MZ-N10
10/31/2003, 01:27 PM
Corsiar is great but doesn't oc as well as mushkin...atleast to my experience....right now Im running a 1800xp at 2.2 gig and running my fx5800 both oc.....i got some 250mhz ram and oc it to 350.....does over heat when you push it too far but I solved that problem with a water cooling....if you really want to oc I wouldn't worry about the ram as much as cooling all this down...

Im still new at this oc stuff so meh...i could be completely off.....
________
Live sex webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Dallas4u
10/31/2003, 02:19 PM
You're correct, MZ... to a point. If you want to OC, and do it right, you need to have the hardware that will do it. Cooling it is just part of the game. Good ram that was made for performance will benefit greatly from cooling if pushed beyond it's posted limits.

If you take some good Corsair or Mushkin RAM and test it next to, say, PCY RAM you can buy at Best Buy, chances are you will push the Corsair and Mushkin MUCH farther than the PCY, whether with RAM sinks (that don't do much, anyway), water cooling, or even a fan blowing past them (although the two latter do help).

I have some OCSystem PC2700 in my machine right now, and it won't do much past 270mhz without keeping the system from booting.

tiggergreen
11/02/2003, 06:07 PM
I will never buy a computer from Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, IBM or any other major brand.

I always build my computers from scratch. Sure, they may cost more, but I usually can't find the configuration I'm looking for from the major players. Plus, I have found that the computers are usually a little bit faster with custom components. Right now I am running a high-end Asus MB with a P4 2.4 GHz 800 FSB and 2GB RAM (dual-channel mode with copper heat sinks).

I just bought a generic laptop for $1650:

15" TFT 1400x1050 resolution (SXGA+)
ATI Mobility 9000 Graphics Card
DVD/CD-RW combo drive
1 GB RAM (PC 2700)
P4 2.8 GHz 533FSB processor
4 USB 2.0 ports

By the way, I took this new laptop with me on my business trip to the Atlanta, Georgia area. It came in handy - the investors wanted my pictures, story and resume burned onto a CD - about an hour later, I delivered three freshly-burned CDs to them.

Cross your fingers, everyone - they say they are going to give me a term-sheet by Tuesday...

Brent
www.xanderstudios.com