PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan "Tick" w/pic

SomeoneElse
04/16/2013, 06:33 PM
Sitting at a stop light, I heard a clicking/rattle sound coming from under the hood. Sound went away when put into Park (when I got to the office), but came back right after driving off. Get home, Leave it running and set the E-Brake and chock the wheels to Investigate. Turns out the fan is pinging off the metal pipe pictured (Bottom of Driver Side). Its not a hard hit, but not good to have either, and rather annoying. Any tips on giving these two parts some room? Also tried the search function and found nothing useful.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/Foxwulf/PHOTO_20130416_173248.jpg

VXorado
04/17/2013, 01:29 AM
That's the trans cooler line being hit by the fan blade. My fan hit in the same spot after I installed the 3" body lift... no surprise you have the same issue. The radiator likes to slide forward after the BL and requires you to secure the radiator against the body. I drilled a hole through a hose clamp, secured the clamp to a bolt hole on the bottom of the radiator and wrapped the hose clamp to another bolt on the front of the engine bay. Then I just tightened the hose clamp down to secure the radiator from shifting forward.

Marlin
04/17/2013, 03:16 AM
Interesting, hadn't thought about that one.
At least you were smart enough to chock the wheels...me, not so much:(
I need to check the clearance on mine and see if this might be worth doing as a preemptive mod.

SomeoneElse
04/17/2013, 05:53 PM
That's the trans cooler line being hit by the fan blade. My fan hit in the same spot after I installed the 3" body lift... no surprise you have the same issue. The radiator likes to slide forward after the BL and requires you to secure the radiator against the body. I drilled a hole through a hose clamp, secured the clamp to a bolt hole on the bottom of the radiator and wrapped the hose clamp to another bolt on the front of the engine bay. Then I just tightened the hose clamp down to secure the radiator from shifting forward.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to get to that on Friday if the weather has passed. :_snowplow

At least you were smart enough to chock the wheels...me, not so much:(

I remember seeing your post about getting run over. Decided that wasn't for me. :deadgray:

rowhard
04/18/2013, 08:26 AM
the bottom of the radiator has two pins that sit in rubber grommets in the frame horn. wonder if yours were exposed to gas or something and have deteriorated. See if you can slide/wiggle the bottom corners back and forth to tell. will be hard with hoses connected.