PDA

View Full Version : Front View Cam

bartmanS4
04/07/2013, 08:57 AM
Marlin just touched on this subject in another thread but I didn't want to highjack that one.
I've been thinking about this for awhile. I have an indash dvd stereo that I have my rearview camera hooked up to and instead of having it controlled by the reverse lamp I have it connected through my rear defroster switch. This way I can turn on the camera anytime I choose or leave in on the whole time while driving. So what I am considering is adding a front view camera placed low on the VX as to allow for a view of the terrain. This could easily be connected through an A/B switch so I can choose which camera view is being sent to the head unit. My question to you experienced 4x4ers is would this be a useful mod? Obviously, the position of the camera will need to be protected but cameras are cheap these days anyway. I know in my limited offroad experience there are times that your only view is of the hood or you can't see the best line, ruts, and obstacles.

Triathlete
04/07/2013, 05:54 PM
To me it would only be a distraction! If you can't see...trust your spotter ;)

Marlin
04/07/2013, 06:05 PM
I never have an issue with what is in front of me, you should know that before you approach an obstacle, its usually where my rear tires are that is the problem. If I can't get the front over it, I probably don't need to do it:) Cool idea though, if you could put one in each wheel well somewhere with a good view, combined with some LED rock lights, that would be pretty sweet.

VXorado
04/07/2013, 10:29 PM
I've always thought it would be fun to have a front facing "rock" camera. Definitely more gimicky than useful.

bartmanS4
01/26/2015, 12:50 PM
Went ahead and installed one. Allows me to see as close as 8" from front of bumper. You can't really see the camera but that's the point. We'll have to see if it is useful while wheeling.

VXorado
01/27/2015, 12:17 PM
Good, now you'll be able to see the front tire slip off the cliff edge while ignoring your spoter. ;Do;

bartmanS4
01/27/2015, 01:40 PM
Good, now you'll be able to see the front tire slip off the cliff edge while ignoring your spoter. ;Do;

Exactly!

I can also however, use it for a continuous road view camera recorder. This should document how I died at least.

evillecutter
02/06/2015, 08:31 AM
close up views of soon to be roadkill