PDA

View Full Version : Advice before Fire-up

jeeperkate
04/03/2013, 06:53 AM
Betty has been sitting idle for 5 months and tomorrow she will breath life again! Any advice on how to prep her for the first fire-up in 5 months? The battery will have a fresh charge, I'm going to pour a little fresh oil in just in case, and the gas has Seafoam.... Any suggestions other than the ones mentioned? I just don't want to hurt her after sitting idle for a few months!

Thanks! :grinb:

I can't WAIT to see her again!! :p

Scott Larson
04/03/2013, 07:44 AM
Well Kate, all I do is check all her vital fluids, fully charge the battery, give it a complete once-over and fire it up. Listen carefully for anything out of the ordinary and let 'er warm up before slowly taking it out to stretch her legs, that's it. Never had any problems with any vehicle coming out of long-term storage, just let 'em get reaquainted with the road gently...Have fun, it's kinda like getting to know her all over again! :_steering :thumbup:

...As to that "complete once-over", just look her all over for anything that is obvious such as mouse nests in the cab or the engine compartment, chewed wires, etc...check your lights and all electrics, you know, the usual stuff!

Scott Larson
04/03/2013, 07:52 AM
Oh, one last thing, be sure to let your brakes get scuffed-in before any quick stops. Your rotors will most likely be lightly glazed from non-use, so gently apply your brakes for the first few stops until they feel and sound right. You'll notice the difference...

Cobrajet
04/03/2013, 10:55 AM
I used to store my car for years while overseas, and never had any issues. It was all in the preparation BEFORE locking the storage unit. Filled the gas tank (never used anything in the gas), fresh oil change, loosen the rocker arms (it was a big block Ford), put it up on jack stands. remove the battery, etc. When I got back about all I ever had to do was install a new battery, tighten down the rockers, and fire that baby up! She was always so happy to see me that she never failed me. You should be fine.

BigSwede
04/03/2013, 12:07 PM
While it is warming up I would check underneath for leaks just in case a seal or gasket dried out while it was sitting, but otherwise not a big deal.

JoFotoz
04/03/2013, 12:14 PM
Yup...all of the above...AND :-

Stroke "Betty" gently on the dash ....

...and assure her that your "jeeping" is simply a way to re-inforce that SHE...

...is your first love :p

jo

VX KAT
04/03/2013, 01:16 PM
Def check the air filter….mice got into dave's FJ and chewed up and nested in a brand new Amsoil nano air filter….:mado:

jeeperkate
04/03/2013, 03:17 PM
Yup...all of the above...AND :-

Stroke "Betty" gently on the dash ....

...and assure her that your "jeeping" is simply a way to re-inforce that SHE...

...is your first love :p

jo

^that's easy...the Jeep isn't even out of storage yet! Who do I love?!?! WHOA Black Betty!! :p

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I have the battery on a charger right now. Kat, great idea, it is in a barn type atmosphere so mice are a definite possibility... Plus, I'll do a good one-over for leaks and other potential issues. :yesb:

Unfortunately, I don't get to drive her very far the first day...straight to the alignment shop 1.5 miles away. I haven't driven her at all since the Gilbert trip when we had to scavenge a tie-rod. And, it looks like crappy weather might be on the horizon again so I wont drive her until the salt is off the road...hopefully some rain will clear the roads up a bit :bgwb:

Happy! :grinb:

jeeperkate
04/04/2013, 08:47 PM
After a little difficulty with the anti theft system, Betty fired right up and is running like a champ!! Ggggaaaawwwwwddddd I LOVE my VX!! :p