PDA

View Full Version : Should I be afraid?

Killawattz
03/31/2013, 03:38 AM
A few months ago, I remember seeing this 2 door SUV on the road, and I remember asking myself, what was that? It's so pretty. After some research, I found out it was one of these, the vehicross.

I've been looking to get rid of my car and get an suv ( dont like trucks), so I can attach a small trailer to it to haul my bike around if I need to. And I must say, this isuzu has got to be the coolest SUV around.

There aren't many of them left it seems, as they were a limited production to begin with. The only ones I can find are pretty high milage, and I'm wondering how these things hold up to high miles as the years progress.

Also, most of them seem to be in the snow states, do these cars rust easily?

Exciting times indeed.

VXorado
03/31/2013, 07:29 AM
There aren't many of them left it seems, as they were a limited production to begin with. The only ones I can find are pretty high milage, and I'm wondering how these things hold up to high miles as the years progress.

Also, most of them seem to be in the snow states, do these cars rust easily?

Good question and the answer is debatable. Overall, the Vehicross uses high quality parts that hold up over the years. Pretty much every VX burns oil which requires frequent oil level checks and refills. If you're someone who doesn't mind opening the hood weekly and occasionally turning a wrench, a VX can be reliable for a long time. We have a member who got his VX up to ~285,000 miles before suffering engine problems. If you find a VX that you're interested in buying, VX Kat put together a checklist that goes through all of the common issues.

I've seen some rusty VXes from the mid west/east coast... but doesn't everything rust out there?? Shouldn't be a problem from the dryer states but make sure to check the undercarriage on any VX you buy.

Additionally, you have to like constant attention. Just last night, unlocking my doors startled a couple who was inspecting my VX. That never gets old. :_beer:

Good luck with the decision. :thumbup:

Scott Harness
03/31/2013, 07:34 AM
X2...lazy this morning:p

Killawattz
03/31/2013, 08:05 AM
Good question and the answer is debatable. Overall, the Vehicross uses high quality parts that hold up over the years. Pretty much every VX burns oil which requires frequent oil level checks and refills. If you're someone who doesn't mind opening the hood weekly and occasionally turning a wrench, a VX can be reliable for a long time. We have a member who got his VX up to ~285,000 miles before suffering engine problems. If you find a VX that you're interested in buying, VX Kat put together a checklist that goes through all of the common issues.

I've seen some rusty VXes from the mid west/east coast... but doesn't everything rust out there?? Shouldn't be a problem from the dryer states but make sure to check the undercarriage on any VX you buy.

Additionally, you have to like constant attention. Just last night, unlocking my doors startled a couple who was inspecting my VX. That never gets old. :_beer:

Good luck with the decision. :thumbup:

I rather enjoy turning wrenches honestly. I will see if I can't find that check list. Also, I had an rx8 a while back, nothing burns more oil than that car did.

Thanks for the info.

Killawattz
03/31/2013, 08:41 AM
After reading for hours, many reviews, etc. This seems like a pretty solid vehicle. As soon as I get back to the states, hopefully I'll be able to find one that's still in one piece.

However, after searching I can't seem to find that checklist. Would any of you happen to have it bookmarked?

Mile High VX
03/31/2013, 08:51 AM
Here you go...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19855

Triathlete
03/31/2013, 09:25 AM
Once you get it, let me know if you want to hit the trails :)

VX KAT
03/31/2013, 10:08 AM
Here you go...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19855

and if you're really neurotic..here's the greatly expanded version of the questionnaire: Of course pick and choose what info you may want,as it'll probably intimidate or tick off a seller if you ask all these..LOL :laugho:
but they're all pertinent and most are very specific to the VX.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=261869&postcount=10

Killawattz
03/31/2013, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. :)

blacksambo
04/01/2013, 01:49 PM
The VX does not burn oil, per se. It uses oil via vacuum issues pushing oil into the plenum via the PCV. Just to correct the dialog.

HeckaTrebeka
04/01/2013, 02:27 PM
The VX does not burn oil, per se. It uses oil via vacuum issues pushing oil into the plenum via the PCV. Just to correct the dialog.

I thought that it burned oil from the #6 cylinder not getting enough lube, therefore getting hotter than the others and burning the oil. The newer revised 3.5L engines have that problem fixed.

blacksambo
04/01/2013, 08:38 PM
I thought that it burned oil from the #6 cylinder not getting enough lube, therefore getting hotter than the others and burning the oil. The newer revised 3.5L engines have that problem fixed.

This interpretation is not really correct. The lower piston ring drain holes become clooged with use, turning the pistons into vacuum pumps pushing hot oil gases into the PCV region, then to the plenum, whereupon those hot gases are released into the environment.

tjh
04/01/2013, 08:53 PM
I ran mine with the pcv disconnected from the intake, just put air filters over the ends of the hoses and plugged the ports that they attached to.

My Vx still had oil disappearing. Air filters showed now sings of excessive amounts of oil being lost.

Just saying

tjh
04/01/2013, 08:57 PM
Don't be afraid it's still a fun car.

blacksambo
04/02/2013, 07:09 AM
I ran mine with the pcv disconnected from the intake, just put air filters over the ends of the hoses and plugged the ports that they attached to.

My Vx still had oil disappearing. Air filters showed now sings of excessive amounts of oil being lost.

Just saying

By opening the PCV system you change the vacuum dynamics which helps to draw the oil to the plenum. Instead, your oil went the other way out.

TheGanzman
04/02/2013, 07:14 AM
As far as "maintenance issues", it is (as in MOST "used" vehicles) also a matter of the treatment the vehicle has received by previous owner(s); as well as "the luck of the draw" on original build quality of each unit. In the example of mine, it's a 2001, NEVER off-roaded, 1 owner garage-kept high desert SoCal vehicle until 2009, w/58K miles when I bought it. Still had its original battery, which I replaced w/a Sears Die Hard Platinum just because I was SCARED of a 9 year old battery, LOL. Since then I have put 38K miles on it - other than oil/filter changes every 5K miles (adding 28 ounces of oil in-between EACH oil change; that amount has been COMPLETELY consistent in the four years and 8 oil changes it's had) and a set of tires when I bought it, the ONLY other maintenance has been a new serpentine belt, changing the fluid in the front and rear differentials/x-fer case, and a 25 minute re-adjustment of the driver's side power window - that's IT! I've owned ~30 vehicles in my 57 years - this Vehicross has been THE most maintenance-free vehicle I've owned YET, hands-down! And yes, there have been about a dozen brand new vehicles in that mix too, both foreign and domestic.

Finding "the right Vehicross" is like finding the right spouse - do your due diligence to the Nth degree, take your time, get the BEST one that YOU can given the "resources" that YOU have - then, if you land up getting a REALLY good one, do NOT let go!:bwgy:

blacksambo
04/02/2013, 11:23 AM
My experience is the same. Bought at 60K, now 159K nothing but a timing belt and oil and battery. Remember the VX body takes three drops of the car crusher to flatten, so there must be some quality in there.

VX KAT
04/02/2013, 06:19 PM
Remember the VX body takes three drops of the car crusher to flatten, so there must be some quality in there.

WHOA!!!! I never heard that! Wow! What's the reason it's so tough? The zinc?

ZeroSix
04/02/2013, 08:07 PM
Must be the grooves in the frame.

The person Doing the cosmetic dings and dents on the fenders was telling me the body was a bit tougher to malform especially by the doors with the three grooves. He doesnt understand it either.

The ceramic Die moulding?

As for durability; I had an SVX before this. Now that part did not have any sisters . The VX is a truck after all, and a big plusis the parts are not as hard as the body panels. Plus given the more rust potential parts are clad in plastic.

Just do not hit or break your headlights....

blacksambo
04/02/2013, 09:08 PM
It's strong because of the massive "C" pillar. And yes you rust afraid people should know it's skin is zinc clad.