PDA

View Full Version : 60K Hunt and Gather

WormGod
03/26/2013, 07:08 AM
So, my 60K is coming up very soon and I am starting a list of things I need/want to collect before committing. Aside from the fluids and filters, etc, I am thinking more along the lines of long-time upgrades. I have 2 plans.... keep it forever, or sell it if the price is right. That's always been my motto with my VX. So, I am looking to do a few things that will keep life breathing in her well as long as she is in my possession. ;)

Brakes - Last year, I put on all new brake pads, rotors, braided lines, and 2 new rear calipers. If my bonus goes well enough this year, I am looking into the Brembo upgrade. I have talked about it a few times before, but may be just willing enough to go through with it now. Of course, I am staring down at an ABS light and some ugly existing brake issues as we speak, so that will depend too.

Battery - I have forever just gotten a bobo battery when I swapped. Thinking of going Optima this time. YellowTop should be just fine.

Alternator - Considering the battery swap, I am "considering" a new alternator. I did a little searching already and and coming across almost all remans. I don't care too much if it is high output but I do want one that isnt bound to fail overnight. Any suggestions on alternator brands that work well with the VX????

CVs - My boots arent bad at all, but do have some minor signs of dry rot. May as well you know.

Bearings - My hubs have never been repacked. Never had any issues. But, even though all still seems well, may as well ya know.

S/C - The oil and belt are still in pretty good condition so I am gonna stay hands off here. I may slightly dismantle to clean out the fuel rails, but that's about it.

If you all can think of some other "long term" additions I can make to the list, that would be greatly appreciated. Please keep suggestions to the "urban mall crawler' level. ;)

WormGod
03/27/2013, 06:48 AM
No bites? I'm surprised. :p

In any case, can anyone suggest a solid alternator at least? Read some search threads that talked about bad remans, including the Autozone one, so I don't want to go down that path.

tom4bren
03/27/2013, 07:14 AM
Wormy,

I had a yellow top Optima & liked it ... till one day ...

When they go, they go all at once with no warning. Will not charge & will not jump. I'm just sayin'.

IRT upgrades whilst keeping with the 'Urban Mall Crawler' theme: Not really anything to add (other than the obvious such as sound system, alarm system & such). You may find a power inverter useful though.

Knowing the traffic you play in (as I intimately do :_brickwal) you might want to consider a hitch & SuperBumper.

I know you are running a blower & aftermarket rims/tires but I'm not familiar with any other upgrades you already have.

EDIT:

Are you due for AC service?

WormGod
03/28/2013, 05:49 AM
Hmm, maybe it would be a good idea to stick with a bobo battery. I heard the Yellowtop was a good battery for "sitting" for a a period of time without draining too fast. I only drive her on weekends so she sits all week. Found that by keeping the alarm armed, it drains down quick, so I started just manually locking it without arming it. Still, ever few weeks, I end up having to jump in, but usually only in colder weather. I may have to rethink this one some more.

Considering new wheels once I resolve my brake issue. My wheels are about 12 years old now and have some minor day to day nicks, but still not bad at all. Havent looked about too much but what little I have, all I can ever find is crappy bling wheels for trucks. You know the 19"+ Kardashians you typically see with rubber bands wrapped around them on Escalades. Wheels are definitely not high on my list for now though. Eventually I will update. Fan of the BFD since it resembles the Volk TE37 though. http://www.fnwheels.com/new-products/bfd/

Yes, A/C needs charging. NEVER BEEN! I rarely use it with the S/C since it tends to "warm up" on me, but on some occasions, the 2 will get along.

Not too concerned about traffic protection since I don't use it on commuter days. So no real concern about bumpers or a hitch. I know what you mean though.... I take I270 north and south just north of the beltway every day, and it pays to drive a junker or a tank.

Sound system is still quite pristine. Fully replaced Alpine and JLAudio components with too many bells and whistles to list. My system is quite a gem. ;)

I MAY consider a dual exhaust Y-pipe axle back. If anything, for that "cool" visual factor. I have the original PV right now so I would need to consider a few things beforehand like, should I stick with the PV....

tom4bren
03/28/2013, 05:57 AM
I heard the Yellowtop was a good battery for "sitting" for a a period of time without draining too fast.

Can't help you there. IIRC, my yellow top was never drained alla way & never sat for more than 2 weeks between runs.

Yes, A/C needs charging. NEVER BEEN! I rarely use it with the S/C since it tends to "warm up" on me, but on some occasions, the 2 will get along.

In that case mebbe you should consider a radiator upgrade. The aluminum one that KAT had done is Uber Nice!

:smack:

TheGanzman
03/30/2013, 05:06 AM
Take YOUR alternator off and take it to an old-timey "Alternator/Starter/Generator Rebuild Shop". A week later you'll get YOUR alternator back. You want it to put out more amps? No problem!

As far as batteries, *I* like the (relatively) new "Glass Mat" technology. I put a top-of-the-line Sears Die Hard in mine 4 years ago; haven't even LOOKED at it since, so I GUESS it's still in there:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850034000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kispla=02850034000P&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=31-107145614-2