PDA

View Full Version : Axle Assemblies....Anyone heard of SURTRACK?

JoFotoz
03/22/2013, 06:39 PM
My local garage is fitting these to an Ironman...right now.

http://surtrack.biz/external?url=http://surtrack.mycarparts.net/

(Wait a couple of secs, then click Isuzu..then VX..)

Impossible to tell if they are tripod bearings or ball without taking them apart...
...and the garage guys didint thinks that was a great plan!!!

Anyone know...?

Anyone heard of them...?

I'll call them Monday, just thought I'd throw it out there given axls/shaft/cup/bearings questions.

Jo

Triathlete
03/22/2013, 07:29 PM
Jo, just from some quick search...
Chinese made, look to cost anywhere from $45-75, there site really doesn't give much info which makes me a bit leary, claims to be reverse engineered from oem, could find no real world reviews.

JoFotoz
03/22/2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks Billy.....

Jo, just from some quick search...
Chinese made, look to cost anywhere from $45-75, there site really doesn't give much info which makes me a bit leary, claims to be reverse engineered from oem, could find no real world reviews.

....I know the cost, and I've seen them....played with them at the garage.
( they called me for advice!! )

My question is..without taking them apart..does anyone know the bearing set up in the cup..
..and has anyone used them...and can give feedback on how they perform.

They look OK ( cup is silver, not green!)..but looks can be deceiving .. :eek:

I'll follow up with the company Monday..just wanted fast info, if available from folks here!

Jo

Triathlete
03/22/2013, 07:58 PM
Will be interested to hear what you find out!

JoFotoz
03/22/2013, 08:28 PM
Me too.....

Will be interested to hear what you find out!

If they are ball race ( as OEM) and not 'tripod roller' bearings ( binding issues when lifted.). ......
...and they dont have the "smaller balls" issue ( :eek: ) .... that the EMPI brand does...

..maybe they are a good find.

We shall see.

jo

PK
03/23/2013, 04:52 PM
If you look on their site, the photo of the complete axle without the green cup does show a 6 ball setup.
Not sure of the diameter or the quality.

PK

JoFotoz
03/23/2013, 10:23 PM
Good catch PK...

If you look on their site, the photo of the complete axle without the green cup does show a 6 ball setup.
Not sure of the diameter or the quality.

PK

...I was fixated on the whole assembly.

You're right..thats not a tripod bearing.

Now..if it's OEM style...

...we might have something.

:thumbup:

jo

RabidPony
03/24/2013, 08:43 AM
Maybe a few of us could chip in to buy one for an autopsy. That way no one is throwing away a wad of cash.

JoFotoz
03/24/2013, 11:43 AM
I'll get in touch with them this week...

Maybe a few of us could chip in to buy one for an autopsy. That way no one is throwing away a wad of cash.

...and ask about the ball bearing size etc.

If it all measures up to OEM ( not Empi ~small!)..

...I'll order a set and bring them to Moab for general inspection.

Anyone have the exact overall length of full OEM assemblies for either side......?

Jo

Triathlete
03/24/2013, 02:13 PM
PK...the only problem is most sites like that show a generic pic of one of their shafts for all applications and not a pic of that specific shaft so they could differ when you actually get your hands on one.

VXorado
03/24/2013, 06:28 PM
What I know...

EMPI
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll300/A1BW_1_20130219124261188.jpg
Rzeppa = :thumbup: - for trooper rzeppa cups
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/A1BW_1_20130219124261607.jpg
Tripod = :thumbdn:

Hope for the best, expect the worst. :_confused

MSHardeman
03/24/2013, 09:28 PM
Jo, I have a complete driver side axle as a spare. If you need me to measure it let me know.

JoFotoz
03/24/2013, 09:30 PM
Yes please Mark!!

Jo, I have a complete driver side axle as a spare. If you need me to measure it let me know.

If its an original OEM ...

...if you can get compressed and un-compresed length that would be awesome!

Thanks

jo

MSHardeman
03/24/2013, 10:00 PM
Yep, full OEM assembly. Got it from a salvage yard VX when my driver side green cup got messed up, but ended up not having to use it.

It's buried in my garage and it's beddy-by time here. Hope it can wait until after work tomorrow.

JoFotoz
03/24/2013, 10:12 PM
Sweet...

Yep, full OEM assembly. Got it from a salvage yard VX when my driver side green cup got messed up, but ends up not having to use it.

It's buried in my garage and it's beddy-by time here. Hope it can wait until after work tomorrow.

.....anytime its good for you, is good for me.

I'll get the tech details from "SurTrack" tomorrow or Tues...so no huge rush.

Thanks Mark :thumbup:

Jo

MSHardeman
03/25/2013, 10:20 PM
Jo, and anyone else who is interested, I dragged the driver side axle assembly out and put a tape measure to it.

Fully extended the axle assembly is 42.5 inches long.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Driver_Side_Axle_Extended_02.JPG

Fully compressed the axle assembly is 41 inches long.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Driver_Side_Axle_Compressed.JPG

To be fully accurate, both lengths are probably an eighth-inch, or less, short. So add a short eighth-inch to the above dimensions to get the exact lengths.

Hope that helps.

JoFotoz
03/26/2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks Mark :thumbup:

Now I'm just waiting to hear back from SurTrack.

Jo

MSHardeman
03/26/2013, 11:05 AM
Jo, I know that others have done this, but if you need me to tear into the axle to measure things (balls, cages, etc.) let me know. I've been wanting to take the axle apart anyway so I can practice on it before I take mine apart to replace all of the CV boots (probably after Moab).

JoFotoz
03/26/2013, 12:53 PM
Thanks Mark...

Jo, I know that others have done this, but if you need me to tear into the axle to measure things (balls, cages, etc.) let me know. I've been wanting to take the axle apart anyway so I can practice on it before I take mine apart to replace all of the CV boots (probably after Moab).

...go ahead for your own edification!!

I've got all the measurments I need to do a comparison...
...just not getting any replies back from these guys :(

Thanks Mate!

Jo