PDA

View Full Version : WHat type of oil should I use?

jheyson =)
03/13/2013, 12:47 PM
Hello everybody,

I need your help to choose the right oil for my vx and my mother's VX.

2000 Proton 117 000 miles

2001 Kaiser 156 000 miles

We have been using valvoline Synthetic blend 5W-30 ( The blue bottle)
I was going to add the picture but I don't know how to add them correctly in this site. ,but here is the link http://pitstopusa.com/i-5055004-valvoline-durablend-synthetic-blend-motor-oil-sae-5w-30-1-quart.html

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5055004-valvoline-durablend-synthetic-blend-motor-oil-sae-5w-30-1-quart.html

My mechanic told me that the oil is very thin in terms of viscosity ,and it would be better to get something of thicker consistent.

I need to do the oil change as soon as possible, so If you can help that would be great !!

I appreciate your comments or suggestions in advance,
Thanks,

cheetah2390
03/13/2013, 12:53 PM
Amsoil 5w-30. Unless you plan on changing oil every 4,000 miles. I use a 15,000 mile filter and generally change at or around 10,000 miles. Checking oil level regularly.

jasonm621
03/13/2013, 01:13 PM
Ive used Mobil-1 Full synthetic 10w-30 for 4 years now with very good results. I am at 112,000 miles, change my oil every 4-5k and have about 1.5-2 qt loss in that time. Of course I check my oil level religiously and top off at every fillup... When i talked to the Isuzu Mechanic he said that "normal" oil consumption on the V6 with all the EPA Crap thrown on it is 1 qt./1000 miles. That seemed a bit high to me! With the thinner viscosity expect to have more oil consumption and Check your oil religiously! Hope that helps.

VX KAT
03/13/2013, 01:22 PM
I also run Amsoil 5w 30 iwth Amsoil in all our cars. Use the "Signature Series" extended life version for 25,000 miles…but still change it at around 3,000 - 4,000 mile intervals as that's usually about one year. So I use time more than miles.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/sae-5w-30-signature-series-100-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/

Amsoil also has another formulation for older cars and those with higher oil consumption when running lower viscosity oils. You'll recall some here have switched to Rotella oil as it's a thicker viscosity, and some say they've had less oil consumption.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/sae-20w-50-synthetic-premium-protection-motor-oil/

Amsoil is sold thru a network of representatives (can't think of what they're called), but I've seen it in some small privately owned "mom & pop" auto parts places. You can find a rep by going to Amsoil's site.
Downside is you have to pay shipping, unless you find a rep that's close enough to let you pick itup in person, or pick it up from an Amsoil warehouse. I've picked mine up in a Las Vegas warehouse, saved a ton of shipping.

VXorado
03/13/2013, 04:27 PM
Ive used Mobil-1 Full synthetic 10w-30 for 4 years now with very good results. I am at 112,000 miles, change my oil every 4-5k and have about 1.5-2 qt loss in that time. Of course I check my oil level religiously and top off at every fillup... When i talked to the Isuzu Mechanic he said that "normal" oil consumption on the V6 with all the EPA Crap thrown on it is 1 qt./1000 miles. That seemed a bit high to me! With the thinner viscosity expect to have more oil consumption and Check your oil religiously! Hope that helps.

I also use Mobil-1. 10w-30 synthetic extended preformance (extra cleaning agents).

I always thought the thicker viscosity oils would burn more because they wouldn't drain as easily... and I based this theory on absolutely nothing. :_confused

Triathlete
03/13/2013, 05:28 PM
Running overly thick oil in our VXs can lead to issues with the already to small piston oil drain holes clogging which can lead to engine death.
That said, I have ran mobil1 as long as I have owned my VX. I think as long as you change your oil as recommended the brand/type is of less important than vescosity. I am surprised your mech recommended thicker oil in a cooler climate?

VXorado
03/13/2013, 07:31 PM
Running overly thick oil in our VXs can lead to issues with the already to small piston oil drain holes clogging which can lead to engine death.
That said, I have ran mobil1 as long as I have owned my VX. I think as long as you change your oil as recommended the brand/type is of less important than vescosity. I am surprised your mech recommended thicker oil in a cooler climate?

Isn't 10w-30 the recommended oil from Isuzu?

Triathlete
03/13/2013, 08:33 PM
Not sure but 10/30 is what I run....don't consider that "overly" thick :)

blacksambo
03/13/2013, 08:39 PM
Here's the skinny on oil. The VX does not really burn oil but rather sends oil into the plenum due to inherent vacuum issues where it's released into the atmosphere. Oil viscosity type would not radically affect this type of engine behavior. That said. in our two VX's we use Mobil1 High Mileage 10w-30 designed for 75K+ engines, and change twice a year, no matter the miles run, mostly to get the water out. The Mobil1 people think this is excessive, but we drive antique cars daily and want to extend their life. You can buy Mobil1 at Walmart for $26.98 for a five quart container, it's hard to beat at that price for state-of-the-art lubrication. We use the Bosch filter and notice the difference in oil clarity. It' s expensive, $11.00, but worth it. people look at our trucks and hear them running and constantly mistake them for new. What more can I tell you?

ND92
03/13/2013, 09:15 PM
Well then..... Guess I should stop running 20w50.... Oops

VX-Man
03/13/2013, 10:03 PM
Ok.. so When I bought my VX, I was told that Richard Payne change the Oil to Castrol Synth 5-W30 and that it was the way to go for the VX Legions...
Seems that is not the way... as far as I can see..
Is the brand really important? or is it how often do you change it?

D-

Triathlete
03/13/2013, 10:21 PM
With frequent changes any good oil I feel will suffice. Just my dose centavos.

ABDragonVX
03/14/2013, 08:05 AM
Rotella T 15-40, my buddy has used it in his rodeo for a couple years and its effectively resolved his oil consumption. I've just made the switch to it myself and will let you guys know if it aids in the consumption department (hungry isuzu v6 lol)

-edit- forgot i usually do 3500 mile intervals, I'm weird like that.

nocturnalVX
03/15/2013, 06:15 AM
I have used plain old regular motor oil in my VX. Most of the time, I don't even know what kind., Luie (Cece's dad) uses nothing but synthetic, and yet he says my engine is smoother/quieter than his. In his own words... "I guess I am just wasting money using premium gas & synthetic oil".

Mile High VX
03/15/2013, 06:34 AM
I'm using Mobil 1 for high mileage vehicles in the 5W-30 weight. Also using WIX filter and changing every 3000 miles.

I was using Amsoil but made the change since there is not outlet here that's close and it was just too expensive for me...:bgwb::bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

Scott Larson
03/15/2013, 08:37 AM
I run Amsoil in everything, 10w30 full synthetic in the VX's to be specific. I've never had any lubrication related issues in anything that it's in. From little two-strokes to big V8 diesels and everything in between, I wouldn't use anything else...

SomeoneElse
04/15/2013, 11:00 PM
Since I will be selling my 370Z to a dealer like CarMax instead of a human, I might as well use the Redline 5W30 (full synthetic ester) that I have on hand. Was going to sell off the Z with fresh oil, but since a dealer will either change it anyway or steal the unused bottles before it finds a new owner... Ive used it for 29500 of the 31030 miles on the Z with excellent results so I would imagine it will be pretty good for the VX too.