PDA

View Full Version : Gas spilled over when refueling

HeckaTrebeka
03/13/2013, 08:01 AM
A couple days ago I was refueling the VX and noticed that the pump would cut out like it was hitting resistance(as per usual when a tank is full), however, I had only 2 gallons in the tank that I put in there from empty... I kept retrying to fill the tank and then eventually gas started spilling out from where I was filling from. I had only put a total of 5 gallons in the tank when it started doing that and I noticed that if I filled a little bit and then stopped, then it wouldn't overflow.

I can't imagine what would be blocking the gas from getting into the tank or cause it to fill slower than the pump... it's very frustrating. Has anybody else had this problem? I suppose it's been building up because I would notice that the pumps kept stopping on me in previous refuels, but I just thought that I kept hitting crappy pumps...

Any ideas as to what would be obstructing??

tom4bren
03/13/2013, 08:32 AM
The shop manual isn't much help on this one.

Page 6C-2 shows a diagram that indicates that the fill tube contains 2 valves:

#3 is a "Roll over valve"

#15 is an "Evaporation shut off valve"

I'm guessing that #3 is the culpret that is causing your problems but the manual doesn't give any kind of troubleshooting steps. Nor does it provide any instructions to replace the valve. I'm guessing that the fill tube itself will have to be replaced since the roll over valve is probably an "unserviceable" piece in that part.

You may want to call Merlin to see if he stocks a "Roll Over Valve" for the fuel tank. That'll tell you if it's a serviceable item.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

HeckaTrebeka
03/13/2013, 08:57 AM
Thanks Tom. I'll look into it more. I'm guessing I'll need a new tube and I'm sure any fill tube from a junked 99-01 trooper should work...

Scott Harness
03/13/2013, 09:36 AM
That happens to me once in a great while.It seems to be either the pump or the angle of the nozzle imho:confused:

HeckaTrebeka
03/13/2013, 09:57 AM
I've noticed that the angle of the nozzle was definitely a factor in the beginning when the pump would stop before a complete refuel, but it was worse this time. I guess I'll have to let the gas just trickle in before I get the fix in place for it.

tom4bren
03/13/2013, 10:08 AM
That happens to me once in a great while.It seems to be either the pump or the angle of the nozzle imho:confused:

That would've been my first thought too but I remembered a rental car I had once. It didn't matter how I angled the gas pump handle, the fuel would only trikle in. It'd take 15 minutes to fuel up. I was really happy to turn in that rental.

Riff Raff
03/13/2013, 10:19 AM
When you are filling-up, do you have the black rubber anti-splash shield of the gas nozzle completely tight up against the fill pipe??? If so, it leaves no room for the air to escape when refueling and can sometimes cause the nozzle to click-off as thinking it's already full. Try leaving a small gap of space between the end of the fuel tank opening and the black rubber splash shield of the nozzle to allow the air to escape easily. Hope this info helps.

:bgwb:

tom4bren
03/13/2013, 10:47 AM
When you are filling-up, do you have the black rubber anti-splash shield of the gas nozzle completely tight up against the fill pipe??? If so, it leaves no room for the air to escape when refueling and can sometimes cause the nozzle to click-off as thinking it's already full. Try leaving a small gap of space between the end of the fuel tank opening and the black rubber splash shield of the nozzle to allow the air to escape easily. Hope this info helps.

:bgwb:

Not to rain on your BBQ but that black rubber cup on the gas pumps is more than a splash shield. It's a fuel vapor recovery thinggy too. It's supposed to be tight against the fuel tank.

Your idea has merit though. He probably should leave a slight gap to see if it makes a difference.

Triathlete
03/13/2013, 11:27 AM
Not all states have the vapor returns...some have slash gaurd, .some have nothing at all

tom4bren
03/13/2013, 11:42 AM
Not all states have the vapor returns...some have slash gaurd, .some have nothing at all

& some require fueling by a professional fuel delivery technician (New Jersey).

I stand corrected.

HeckaTrebeka
03/13/2013, 12:04 PM
The pump I was using had a splash guard. I tried different angles, tried pushing it all the way in, tried leaving space.

tom4bren
03/13/2013, 12:21 PM
Just got off the phone with Merlin on a different issue so I asked him about yours.

He said that the most common problem associated with being able to fuel up is actually the Cut Valve Assembly (commonly referred to as the Charcoal Canister) located on the fuel tank. List price is $126. He's basing that on his experience with Nissans since he's not had any calls for Isuzus with that problem.

He also indicated that the Roll Over Valve is located on the tank (not in the fill tube like I assumed) so it should be a replaceable item (although he's never heard of one going bad).

HeckaTrebeka
03/13/2013, 12:27 PM
The P.O. of this vehicle lived in Spokane, WA. If you know that place, it gets really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter. And I'm sure that the VX wasn't garaged all its life, so I'm guessing that all that heat/cold could wear on many systems that aren't normally worn down in temperate climates.

workmeistr
03/14/2013, 03:48 PM
First, try another gas station. Look at the nozzle and where the ratchets are for the lock on. Those ratchet "ridges" can be riveted on in a variance of ~1". My favorite gas station has one nozzle that the lock on ridges are riveted on too far forward, requiring a greater squeeze of the handle before the first lock ridge is engaged, and always cuts off when filling the VX. Every other pump/nozzle is fine and can be locked on the first ridge to fill. I hope this is the issue for you; easy issue.:dan_ban:

??I just re-read your post; your issue isn't with locking on the pump, you clearly have a different issue. Good luck.??

HeckaTrebeka
03/14/2013, 05:37 PM
??I just re-read your post; your issue isn't with locking on the pump, you clearly have a different issue. Good luck.??

LOL :D

Scott Larson
03/14/2013, 07:13 PM
My Explorer will do that along with both the VX's. I don't know what valves are involved, but I do notice that weather and/or temp seems to have an effect and have always suspected a vapor-locked tank, not to be confused with a vapor-locked fuel rail or fuel line. I just persist and always seem to overcome it...

HeckaTrebeka
03/15/2013, 06:04 AM
I filled the gas tank this morning. No overspill! First I set the pump nozzle so that it rested in the fill tube but the pump cut out after a few mL. So I centered the nozzle with the fill tube and pressed that gas vapor/splash barrier up tight against the opening and, voila! No overspill, no pump cutting out... so I guess I can't be lazy anymore while the gas is pumping.

I'm going to continue to pump this way and if I run into any additional problems with the pump, I'll update this thread.