PDA

View Full Version : Shock questions

magikmike
03/12/2013, 06:24 PM
I've been searching the forum for a couple nights now, and haven't been able to find my answer. I am researching the "rancho 9000" I've seen people have installed, and was looking for the part number they used. I like the idea of adjust-ability (I have KW suspension on my EVO X) and really want to try these shocks. My issue is that I'm planning on getting some OME 912's and doing the torsion bar crank (maybe a one inch body lift depending on tire fittment), and am wondering if I am going to need a longer shock? I go to Rancho's website and they only list the "stock height" for the Vehicross. I am unfamiliar with this suspension as of yet (just bought about a month ago) and would like to get some input from those who have put the "Rancho 9000s" on their Vehicross. Is it a longer shock that is made for something else or is it the "stock height" shock listed on their website. Thanx in advance

SilverBullet75
03/12/2013, 08:57 PM
I just bought mine and installed them last weekend.
Here are the direct links to them on Amazon.com.
I LOVE them... I started at setting #9 and reduced down to #6 all the way around. This is perfect for me.
I'm lifted 3+ inches. Don't need longer shocks. They are perfect... and easy to install.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018YELM0/ref=oh_details_o01_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018YELLG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tom4bren
03/13/2013, 05:11 AM
I went with Old Man Emu shocks that I got from Independent 4X (haven't installed them yet though).

When I ordered them, he asked if I was lifted so I think that it does make a difference. Indy sells the Ranchos too so you may want to give them a call & get the part #'s from them for a lifted VX & then shop around using those part #'s.

BTW, I know that the Rancho part #'s were listed in one of the many, many threads that discussed them.

EDIT:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=111980&postcount=2

Now we just need to figure out if there is a different part # for a VX with a 3" lift.

yellowgizmo99
03/13/2013, 07:21 AM
don't think there is a difference, except in the EMU ones.

tom4bren
03/13/2013, 07:32 AM
don't think there is a difference, except in the EMU ones.

Of course ... I'm special.

BTW, The OME are not adjustable. I know me. If I went with Rancho, they'd stay at the same setting as they were at when I installed them.

Cobrajet
03/13/2013, 11:07 AM
BTW, The OME are not adjustable. I know me. If I went with Rancho, they'd stay at the same setting as they were at when I installed them.

Naaaaa. I got my Ranchos in Mar 2005, and I've adjusted them TWICE!!! :bwgy:

BigSwede
03/13/2013, 12:23 PM
OME shocks are a bit longer than stock Trooper shocks, and are made to go with the 1-2" Trooper lift springs (912/919/929). Great shocks BTW, I have tried others but keep going back to OME.

But longer shocks are not mandatory by any means. A simple rear spring/spacer and front torsion bar lift doesn't change your range of suspension travel at all, you are just riding higher within that same range.

Maddawg
03/13/2013, 06:00 PM
Rancho 9000
Front=RS999214XL
Rear=RS999215XL

magikmike
03/14/2013, 07:22 PM
@ Silver - thanks for the links, but I found them a like 40 bucks cheaper (all 4 with shipping) at another website

@ Tom - Sorry, I guess I just didn't get far enough into the threads to find that?!?!? :(

Thanx everybody for the info, now I jut gotta sell the rest of my stereo stuff out of my show truck to fund the lift / tires LOL

Happy X-ing ;)

tom4bren
03/25/2013, 07:53 AM
Well I finally installed the OME shocks on Friday. I could definitely tell the difference but it wasn't as dramatic as I'd thought it'd be. The bottom line is that the front were still OEM & were both still functional (although one had a better return than the other). The rear were Rancho & both had NO return although still provided some dampening effect. Ranchos went in the trash can but the front OEM are put away (just in case).

Maybe the effect of the new shocks was less noticable because during my test drive I was more focused on the grinding sound coming from my rear brakes (stuck caliper ate up the inboard pad on drivers side). Pads were replaced on Saturday whilst waiting for paint to dry on garage door framing I was SUPPOSED to be working on.:)

I gotta say that the yellow/black OME shocks look great on a Proton:). Lots better than silver/red Ranchos.

BTW: everyone was complaining about removal of the LR shock because of access to the top bolt. That one was easy for me (I'm wierd 'cause I like using box end wrenches better than a ratchet anyway). Both front shock lower bolts were a real PITA though. The nut came off easy enough but the bolt wanted to hit my half shaft before clearing the shock bushing. I finally hammered them past the shaft & replaced the bolt bass-ackwards & patted meself on the back for a job well done.

Maddawg
03/25/2013, 08:46 AM
Atta Boy!

tom4bren
03/25/2013, 12:44 PM
Atta Boy!

Yes siree bob ... necessity is the mother of all invention.:)

& I only used the MF phrase 3 times ... but it was liberally seasoned with many SOBs.
:smack::_mecker::smack::_brickwal:_mecker::smack:: dance::_steering

Maddawg
03/25/2013, 02:07 PM
Well I should hope so, why should you be any different than the rest of us. :p