PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION..Structural or Not ??

JoFotoz
03/06/2013, 01:53 PM
As per photo....

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VX_FIXED_BODY_003.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=23430)

I assume the foam/flimsy outer 'bits' I highlighted simply to channel air to radiator...??

What about the center metal support/cladding "bolt to bit"...is it rquired??
Can it be done away with...cut..modified without worry??

Any thoughts will help :thumbup:

Thanks

jo

Jay Dunford
03/06/2013, 02:54 PM
Yep, the foam is just to direct the incoming air. If I remember correctly I had the center cladding support cut out when the winch was put in. I left the vertical piece behind it in place though, that was structural.

MSHardeman
03/06/2013, 03:00 PM
Jo, I don't think that the foamy bits are really all that necessary. Like you said, they may help channel air to the radiator and maybe keep junk out of the areas beneath the headlights. The foam may help to stop the front bumper cladding from rattling around in the wind.:_confused

The little metal bit in the middle, to me, does offer structural integrity to the cladding as that is where the front cladding is attached to the VX, behind the license plate. It seems that without that metal bit the cladding might flop around in the wind when going down the street.

That's my two cents.

Can't wait to see what the whore becomes when you're done with her.

JoFotoz
03/06/2013, 03:07 PM
THANKS GUYS...perfect info :thumbup:

I'd forgotten a few people put winches in behind the cladding...makes sense
that the metal bit would need modifying/cutting out.

Cool...I do believe I've got it figured out.

:_beer:

Jo

tysamigo
03/06/2013, 03:51 PM
I have thought about replacing the foam pieces. Is OEM The only way to go or is there another option? Just wondering

VXorado
03/06/2013, 04:30 PM
I haven't had the center metal structure since installing a hellas in 2010. Doesn't seem to make any difference removing it... the bumper has plenty of other support points.

JoFotoz
03/06/2013, 04:33 PM
Great..thanks Jon

Seems it can go...looks like the vertical brace behind it does the majority of the support work ..
....and bolts to the hood latch...which is indipendently bolted too...so all good.

Jo

pbkid
03/06/2013, 08:30 PM
I think i have a feeling what Jo is sniffing at... ;)

Triathlete
03/06/2013, 09:00 PM
Not sure what he is sniffing but pretty sure I know what he's fabbing...he has spoke of it before :)

tom4bren
03/07/2013, 07:29 AM
Seems it can go...looks like the vertical brace behind it does the majority of the support work

Agreed (in principal). I don't have much experience with the front cladding but with the hidden hitch, we delete 5 screws holding the rear cladding on & don't cause any problems (there's still 11 bolts securing it).