PDA

View Full Version : late night window idea

wetpoop
03/02/2013, 11:35 PM
So I am up late at night thinking of the window issues that plague our VX's. I was wondering if anyone else had an idea or thought about converting the power windows to a manual crank style window. Does anyone know if Trooper or Amigo parts could be altered to work this out?

Then I got to thinking about possibly fabbing up a latch system were the window would remain down or all the wap up, and a spring loaded latch could be welded or bolted to the top of the door frame. Of course this would call for a catch of some sort to be adheared to the upper glass.

Ideas/thoughts? Any feedback? maybe I should just go back to sleep.

LittleBeast
03/03/2013, 01:00 AM
There are known fixes for our problems. SBC metal brackets, bungee cord, and enlarging/silicone spraying tracks has fixed everyone's problems who have actually tried all of these.

VxSport
03/03/2013, 06:57 AM
To much work to modify the vx windows to manual. You would have to dirll holes in shell, add metal brackets and in the middle of the door panel have a handle sticking out. I couldn't see how to make it work and look stock, or even close to stock.

I have done 2 out of three of the fixes mentioned by Littlebeast, they do work. I have the last one (SBC brackets) sitting on the work bench for spring projects.

Day dreaming of projects daily.....

UWVX89
03/03/2013, 10:37 AM
Silicone spray. Works everytime for me.

JoFotoz
03/03/2013, 10:39 AM
Yup X2...

Silicone spray. Works everytime for me.

...I keep a small can handy in the car.

jo

twalker920
03/03/2013, 03:10 PM
+1 x3? for silicone spray. I did also widen the track on the driver's side. But some spray every few months keeps them both working fine for me.

Mile High VX
03/03/2013, 03:51 PM
PO put the SBC bracket on the passenger side and I have the extra for the driver's side if it's ever needed...silicone spray every few months for the last three years and never an issue...

Leon R
03/03/2013, 04:39 PM
Manual cranks solve only one issue: you do not have to buy new motors. They can still bind, tilt and stick ;).

I found using washer/spacers to solve the problem...

tom4bren
03/05/2013, 06:41 AM
Manual cranks solve only one issue: you do not have to buy new motors. They can still bind, tilt and stick ;).

Agreed.

Now that I have a spare regulator for both sides, I've got a mod in mind to try out. Basically I plan on replacing the stoopid plastic guide that breaks with 2 wheels that will run on the center bar of the regulator to keep the glass level. I'll let you know how it works out ... but I wouldn't mind someone volunteering to beta test it for me (so I don't need to take my doors apart ... AGAIN!).

bssage
03/08/2013, 04:35 AM
At least in my case. I believe the issue is a function of the weather stripping. My window pitches foward as it enters the A pillar of the strip: and lifts out is it is lowered. Causing the glass to bind.

I used to make weather strips for a living. So I plan to use some tricks I learned. The first one will be to hinge the inside of of the contact lip on the A pillar. I plan to remove the strip. Take an exact o knife and trace the line of wear (inside the curve of the lip) creating a crease: or hinge point in the lip allowing it to break or fold over with less resistance.

I may also increase the lead in (area glass enters the A pillar) and coat the cut rubber with glue and cloth to decrease resistance. I have several other ideas to reduce resistance if these mods dont work.

I think any type of bracket will fatigue and break eventually if the contact issues with the weather stripping is not addressed.

tom4bren
03/08/2013, 06:22 AM
Anyone who fixes the winder probs for good (& makes the fix doable for shade tree mechanics) will be every VX owners bestest bud ferever!

Go for it.