PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy one ?

Vdawgydawg911
02/28/2013, 05:19 AM
I don't really off road, but I got offered one, will it give me problems, it's from a dealer in great shape, should I get one, or will it be trouble, I like it , but I will be on blacktop streets

OKCVX
02/28/2013, 05:40 AM
For me it was a passion thing. So don't buy a VX unless you really want one.
They are one of the most amazing vehicles that nobody knows about!
Love is blind;)

Leon R
02/28/2013, 06:14 AM
How much work can you do yourself?

These trucks do need extra work, so you have to ether:

- like them so much, so wouldn't mind spending extra money to have someone else work on it

Or

- be able to do the work yourself

Have you tried driving it on a bumpy road? This is a 4x4 truck, so its ride is appropriately stiffer.

Cobrajet
02/28/2013, 09:52 AM
As the others have alluded to, the VX takes a certain level of commitment. I've owned my VX since new, and have had very few mechanical issues. But, with 135,000 miles there have been a few failures - idler pulley disintegrating, dirty MAF sensor CEL, tires and batteries, etc. This varies from vehicle to vehicle, and depends a lot on the care and maintenance it has received through it's life. Unless you know the history of the car, you need to assume the worst and expect some repairs to be required. You should check to make sure it isn't a rusty, dripping pile of poop, and then go from there. Make sure you have the option to return it if it turns out to be junk. (I know, they are all sold AS-IS, but the dealership has to be honest about what they are selling.)

Bottom line... If you have ANY doubts... walk away.

Noctis
02/28/2013, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't give mine up for anything.

When everyone else is in their flying cars running on sunshine and rainbows, I'll be in my VX getting 15mpg on a good day.

This is a passion and a commitment. If you don't love it now, you will love it very very quickly.

jeeperkate
02/28/2013, 11:21 AM
The first time I saw a VX, I KNEW I had to have one. I hadn't even driven one before I bought mine, and now I will be with her to the end! I truly believe the VX is about passion. And being able to work on them yourself is a must in my opinion, unless you are able to spend a lot of money on a mechanic.

If you saw it and thought, dang that thing is SWEET, then buy it (barring any of the problems mentioned in the posts above). If you are thinking, eh take it or leave it, then leave it. AND, tell us where it is :bgwb:

If you are on the fence, take it for a drive...you'll never let it go :yesgray:

VxSport
02/28/2013, 12:01 PM
Everyone has given you great advise. Any used vehicle can be a problem. These trucks were made over 13 years ago, and concepted almost 20 years ago. However they are a blast to drive in Any Conditions, blacktop or dirt. It is truely one of the finest examples of Combining a Sports car with a Truck (4x4).

Resonable on Insurance as a std too.

I would never give up my vx keys, they'll have to pry them out of my dead hards.

Good luck, let us know

BigSwede
02/28/2013, 12:28 PM
Hards?? :p

Marlin
02/28/2013, 01:52 PM
Hards?? :p

He REALLY likes his truck:)

X10 on all said below, I have learned more working on this truck than I could have ever guessed. From simple oil changes to owning a plasma cutter and welder, installing locker, learning to wheel...its an endless journey in learning. I think most of us enjoy/thrive on the attention these trucks get. If you are at a mall, a 7eleven, Lowes, anywhere, someone is gonna comment on it.

I would never give up the VX, not even to my two sons:)

My wife and I set aside money just for the VX, one day, it will need a new heart, and we are prepared to deal with that, regardless of the cost.

If you are not willing for that kind of commitment, let her go to someone who is, there are only a few thousand of these trucks left in the world, they deserve to be loved, whether its hiding it in a garage in pristine condition or buried in the mud in some backwoods forest, as long as you care for the truck, its very rewarding.

SomeoneElse
03/20/2013, 09:57 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm thinking I -Really- Want one, and I am probably going to go test drive one this weekend.

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is how easy it is to find replacement parts (OEM and from other vehicles that are compatible whatever they may be) and just the approximate maintenance costs being that the VX's I'm looking at in my area are 1999 models, so it goes without saying that they will inevitably need work and replacements.

I wish these would come back into current production! It's a shame that nobody has really caught onto the whole "Off-road Coupe" thing (and the ones coming out these days look like crap except the RallyFighter. That thing is Amazing.)

I figure dropping about $7k-$8.5K for a VX and doing some work, that isn't TOO bad is it?

Mile High VX
03/21/2013, 05:10 AM
If you can do some work yourself it's a great ride. Parts are still available, but body parts are the hardest to get. It shares some parts with other Isuzu's so used parts are available as well.

Lots of CO VXer's here so plenty of help available as well.

What are you looking at?

Having a fellow VXer look at your potential ride, if possible, is a good idea as well...:bgwb::bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

blacksambo
03/21/2013, 08:59 PM
Buy the VX for the unique styling, period. No other reason (other than it was a high quality premium-priced vehicle). If performance or some other reason beckons, don't buy it, it's out moded by twenty years. So but it and revel in looking at it as miles ahead in styling. It set the styling pace for years and still does to a certain extent.

SomeoneElse
03/21/2013, 09:22 PM
Looked at an Orange VX in Aurora tonight, looked pretty haggard before going into the dealerships shop. Lots of fluid leaks it looked, cracked windshield, could see the front bumper bar was beat up pretty bad from a minor collision a few years back ... pretty gnarly overall really. Would have snagged a few pictures but it was pretty dark and my surefire tac-light washed out pictures for being too bright http://www.motortrend.com/ni/classifieds/37689228/1251/

The other one I'll be checking out is in Castle Rock, and looks much better from the pictures, but who knows. http://www.motortrend.com/ni/classifieds/258494047/113/

A lot of it has to do with the VX being the Right size, the right style, the right type of capability :bwgy:... I don't mind doing work, but I'm not able to really do a total rebuild financially or skillset wise.