PDA

View Full Version : Help from a Denver VXer?

twalker920
02/25/2013, 09:53 PM
I need some help diagnosing a clunking noise on the left side...I think maybe something in the suspension. If any of the Denver area folks are available some weekend, I'd supply the tools and beer.

Not too excited about finding out what it is halfway to Moab...

VxSport
02/25/2013, 10:20 PM
I can come into town on Sunday mornings (most) to help you do some checking into the problem. pm me. we might even be able to get a little meet going.

Meet & Wrench anyone?

I need some help diagnosing a clunking noise on the left side...I think maybe something in the suspension. If any of the Denver area folks are available some weekend, I'd supply the tools and beer.

Not too excited about finding out what it is halfway to Moab...

bartmanS4
02/25/2013, 11:26 PM
Let me know when and I'll try to be there!

gunbarrelvx
02/26/2013, 04:45 AM
I might be up for stopping by if this is on Saturday.

Mile High VX
02/26/2013, 08:00 AM
Count me in...if the time works I'll be there...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

It's getting close to do my timing belt!

VxSport
02/26/2013, 08:06 AM
Me too.... Timing belt and water pump before Moab.

Count me in...if the time works I'll be there...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

It's getting close to do my timing belt!

twalker920
02/26/2013, 01:08 PM
Oh, I should do my timing belt too, now that I confirmed from the previous owner that he didn't do it.

I have a decent size, but not huge garage (oversized 2-car) and a 3-wide driveway. I'm at the C470 and Quincy exit on the SW side of Denver.

I am open this weekend or next. Weather is supposed to be in the low 50s this weekend it looks like. If someone has a better location I am game too.

I have plenty of basic tools, but no special tools to speak of. Where do you guys get your timing belt kits from? I had an ebay page bookmarked:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-Kit-Isuzu-Vehicross-99-00-01-V6-/360592733808

I saw previously on the forums that this kit was decent. Thoughts? Maybe we could get a bigger discount if we buy several?

Let's make some plans! Also, thanks for the great response :)

If we meet at my house, we could go have margs/beer at the Morrison Inn afterwards (or before/during).

Y33TREKker
02/26/2013, 01:11 PM
I miss living in Colorado. :(

tom4bren
02/26/2013, 01:18 PM
Y'all realize that you'll be lucky to get ONE timing belt done in a day. Getting 2 done will be a herculean effort.

twalker920
02/26/2013, 01:28 PM
Y'all realize that you'll be lucky to get ONE timing belt done in a day. Getting 2 done will be a herculean effort.

Well gee I was picturing a production line type setting where we all step through it at the same time :)

Not so much?

tom4bren
02/26/2013, 01:37 PM
Well gee I was picturing a production line type setting where we all step through it at the same time :)

Not so much?

I have no response to that.:)

KUDOS if you pull it off!!!

twalker920
02/26/2013, 04:42 PM
Well, again, I just want to know what's clunking on my truck, and hopefully fix it if we can figure it out. The engine is purring like a kitten, but I need to do the timing belt at some point. I'll help someone with their timing belt if I can get help for my issue :)

mdwyer
02/26/2013, 07:11 PM
...on the other hand, you might as well try to pull together another Colorado VX meet. We sure seem to be having a lot of those of late.

Not that I'm complaining!

VxSport
02/26/2013, 07:34 PM
I am all for helping you with the clunk. I was also just stating the timing belt before moab. I do lots of projects on my rig during the witching hour, midnight madness wrenching.
Lets work at getting a mini coffee meet going, help you diag your clunk. Sunday Am works for me. We might be able to get a few others to pop in to.

Well, again, I just want to know what's clunking on my truck, and hopefully fix it if we can figure it out. The engine is purring like a kitten, but I need to do the timing belt at some point. I'll help someone with their timing belt if I can get help for my issue :)

twalker920
02/26/2013, 09:11 PM
Lets work at getting a mini coffee meet going, help you diag your clunk. Sunday Am works for me. We might be able to get a few others to pop in to.

Sounds good. This Sunday? There's a big Starbucks on Wadsworth just south of Bowles on the East side. Lots of parking. Used to be a Krispy Kreme before Carbs became the new Killer of the Moment.

VxSport
02/27/2013, 05:05 AM
This Sunday works fine for me. Let's do the Starbucks that you mentioned. I lived in that area about 7 years ago, so no problem finding it. We'll see if some others can make it too.
How about 10:30 am @ Starbucks, weather should be nice on Sunday, so I will be in the Ebony VX.

tom4bren
02/27/2013, 08:52 AM
... weather should be nice on Sunday, so I will be in the Ebony VX.

Ahhh, arriving topless. I usta could do that ... but time hasn't been kind (I used to skinny dip ... but now I chunky dunk).

twalker920
02/27/2013, 01:28 PM
How about 10:30 am @ Starbucks, weather should be nice on Sunday, so I will be in the Ebony VX.

Works for me. See you then and whoever else wants to show!

VxSport
02/27/2013, 02:41 PM
Anyone else available for a Meet, Greet & Diagnose on Sunday @ 10:30 am? Let's get together for a cup of Joe.

MSHardeman
02/27/2013, 05:53 PM
Would love to meet up with y'all, but I'm heading over to Telluride on Friday for the weekend. I'll get over there for one of the Denver meets, I swear. It would be great to put faces to screen names.

Have fun replacing those timing belts.:eek:

VXorado
02/27/2013, 10:17 PM
Put me down as "maybe", "if possible", or "love to but..." :_confused

If i'm free, i'll be there!!! There's a chance Amy and I will be staying up in the mountains Saturday night for a ski trip. There's also a chance we'll be skiing Saturday and returning home the same day. If we come back Saturday, I should have no problem meeting up for coffee and clunking.

Also Tom, I had a clunking a while back when I went over bumps. After a lot of troubleshooting, I found play in the lower driver side ball joint.

I posted the question on the planet and recieved some other good suggestions worth looking into.
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60654

twalker920
02/28/2013, 02:03 PM
Also Tom, I had a clunking a while back when I went over bumps. After a lot of troubleshooting, I found play in the lower driver side ball joint.

The more I hear it, the more I think it sounds like suspension or something like the ball joint. It tends to happen more when I am on bumpy surfaces or coming to a stop.

Turning the tunes up is my temporary fix, but having a ball joint fail on Poison Spider Mesa (or where ever) would not be a good thing. Cue Wiley Coyote falling very very far down to the Colorado River. SPLAT!

jasonm621
02/28/2013, 03:10 PM
I have the pre drilled bar "tool" to get that crankshaft pulley nut off and back on torqued to spec. Youre more than welcome to using it! I probably couldnt help much with the mystery clunk but i think if i had to do a timing belt again i could do it in about half the time! I just bought the all in one dayco kit from autozone. It comes with the belt, tentioner, tentioner pulley, Idle pulley, and the water pump. Pretty nice kit although there is no marks on the timing belt. Its not a problem as long as you pay very close attention to the marks on the cams and project those marks over to the new belt with a silver sharpie... Let me know when you wanna take the plunge and we can have that beer we were talking about!

Mile High VX
02/28/2013, 05:50 PM
I'm planning on being there for awhile...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

VxSport if you're coming through Castle Rock let me know and we can convoy over to Starbucks!

VxSport
03/01/2013, 05:31 AM
Sounds good to me..... meet at your church? 9:45?

I'm planning on being there for awhile...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

VxSport if you're coming through Castle Rock let me know and we can convoy over to Starbucks!

Mile High VX
03/01/2013, 05:34 AM
Sounds good to me..... meet at your church? 9:45?

Works for me...see you Sunday.

VxSport
03/01/2013, 05:53 AM
[QUOTE=VXorado;276274]Put me down as "maybe", "if possible", or "love to but..." :_confused

If i'm free, i'll be there!!!

Let me know if your going to be there on Sunday, if so.. I will bring the part that I have on hold for you.

bartmanS4
03/01/2013, 09:49 AM
Is this the place your talking about? Around 10:30 Sunday right?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=wadsworth+and+bowles&hl=en&safe=active&hnear=S+Wadsworth+Blvd+%26+W+Bowles+Ave,+Littleton ,+Colorado+80123&t=m&z=16&iwloc=lyrftr:m,11426143071619512119,39.606316,-105.090623

twalker920
03/01/2013, 03:54 PM
I have the pre drilled bar "tool" to get that crankshaft pulley nut off and back on torqued to spec. Youre more than welcome to using it! I probably couldnt help much with the mystery clunk but i think if i had to do a timing belt again i could do it in about half the time! I just bought the all in one dayco kit from autozone. It comes with the belt, tentioner, tentioner pulley, Idle pulley, and the water pump. Pretty nice kit although there is no marks on the timing belt. Its not a problem as long as you pay very close attention to the marks on the cams and project those marks over to the new belt with a silver sharpie... Let me know when you wanna take the plunge and we can have that beer we were talking about!

Definitely! Can I ask how much the Autozone kit cost?

twalker920
03/01/2013, 03:55 PM
Is this the place your talking about? Around 10:30 Sunday right?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=wadsworth+and+bowles&hl=en&safe=active&hnear=S+Wadsworth+Blvd+%26+W+Bowles+Ave,+Littleton ,+Colorado+80123&t=m&z=16&iwloc=lyrftr:m,11426143071619512119,39.606316,-105.090623

You are correct sir! See all youz guyz Sunday morning :)

VxSport
03/03/2013, 06:08 AM
I we see eveyone at Starbucks @ 10:30am today.

Mile High, I will see you at the church parking lot in Castle at 9:45am

Mile High VX
03/03/2013, 11:28 AM
Great to see everyone this morning...sorry I had to cut out early.

Special thanks to bartmanS4 for allowing me the great joy of driving his VX with his 5 speed swap...can you say burnout....:smilewink:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy:

Simply awesome!

Now I have a whole new project to consider and my beautiful bride will not be happy...

twalker920
03/03/2013, 02:55 PM
Yes thanks all who showed up! Great to meet everyone, and see Mile High again! I think we got my noise figured out (sticky/worn front sway bar mount). So I have a project for next weekend. Colorado folks need to figure out the Moab convoy details at some pooint, and if you're camping I will post the RV/Campsite I will be at shortly (with the luxo-5th wheel including garage o' toys).

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0545.jpg

I was behind BartmanS4 for a few miles. Got a few double takes as the two silver VXs went by. His 5-speed conversion blew me out of the water on the on ramp! Not that we were going fast or anything illegal...

bartmanS4
03/03/2013, 04:50 PM
Ha Ha, sweet! I went over to Saudi Aurora afterwards and got it stuck in the mud, I was able to get backed out but man that was some sticky clay. Good meeting you guys and looking forward to the Moab convoy!

VxSport
03/04/2013, 03:07 PM
It was great to see/meet our little coffee crew yesterday. Great weather for a drive, today is a little different. Yesterday it was 58 & sunny, today is 35 with snow storm.

Twalker keep us informed on tracking down your front end clucks, I guess. Energy Suspension products is the front sway bar kit.

And Bartman we do need to go for a test drive in ur 5spd. We can do coffee again anytime. sorry I was running out of time.

Mile High..... my wife loves your Dragon so much, Great to see you and convoy to Littleton, I did see a few people pointing at the vx's.

VXorado
03/04/2013, 04:12 PM
I'm glad you guys had good weather after the last 20 degree meet. I'll be there for the next one... :_beer:

VxSport
03/04/2013, 09:20 PM
Sorry you missed such a nice day.... Hope you had fun in the mountains. See ya next time.

I'm glad you guys had good weather after the last 20 degree meet. I'll be there for the next one... :_beer:

twalker920
03/08/2013, 01:43 PM
Dangit all. I ordered Energy Suspension bushings per Chris' advice, and I got them today (oddly enough Amazon was the cheapest)...but...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0558.jpg

That hole looks awfully small. Checking the p/n I appear to have ordered (or at least received) the ones for the rear (9.5156), not the front (9.5163). And I wanted to get this done this weekend. Bah!

I guess I may as well do the rears as well now, since I am sure they are in no better shape than the front.

Ordering the front ones now, except that if I want them in 2 days they only have black left...I was looking forward to the red, but I guess it really doesn't matter.

Mile High VX
03/08/2013, 01:53 PM
..I was looking forward to the red, but I guess it really doesn't matter.

The red quickly turn to black...I bought the red, but after a few weeks you really wouldn't have known it...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

VxSport
03/08/2013, 06:04 PM
They only turn black if you don't go out and scrub them with a tooth brush. lol

The red quickly turn to black...I bought the red, but after a few weeks you really wouldn't have known it...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

mdwyer
03/08/2013, 09:15 PM

Sorry I missed out on this one! I knew I was forgetting /something/...

Not that I could have gotten the VX out anyway... it was trapped behind a decontamination shower. (It's been a great month... :( )

VXorado
03/09/2013, 06:45 AM
Sorry I missed out on this one! I knew I was forgetting /something/...

Not that I could have gotten the VX out anyway... it was trapped behind a decontamination shower. (It's been a great month... :( )

Sorry Michael. Is the house finished with the fix up?

mdwyer
03/12/2013, 08:18 PM
Sorry Michael. Is the house finished with the fix up?

Well, the cancerous ceiling is gone, and I've got a new water heater, but the new ceiling is poly tarp. The doors are still taped shut, so although I can get to my fridge, I have to go out the front door and walk around the house and walk in the side door to get to it. It makes running to the fridge for a beer much less appealing.

I have no idea when they're going to get around to doing the rebuild... It is SO frustrating. I'm itching to have everyone over, but it is going to have to wait a bit longer...