PDA

View Full Version : Removing ALL cladding...any TIPS?

JoFotoz
02/16/2013, 05:06 PM
I'm going to be removing all my cladding soon to do some much needed Body repair....

(Hells Gate...I WILL be back!!)

I've taken front and back off many times...
.....any tricks / clues / things to look out for...

..taking off the rest.

Thanks

jo

Triathlete
02/16/2013, 09:14 PM
Have a drill handy if the the front fender cladding has never been off. There are some rivets in the wheelwell that will need to be drilled out.

Ldub
02/17/2013, 08:16 AM
Keep an eye out for double stick tape that's hidden behind many a panel...:yesgray:

Be slow, methodical, & gentle with the ol' whore...keep in mind: she's nearly 93 in truck years...:yesgray:

Oh yeah...almost forgot...http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=260&highlight=cladding+removal

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/17/2013, 09:37 AM
I don't know the technical term, but it wouldn't hurt to stock up on some of those OEM Isuzu plastic (white) snap-n-tite thingies. I bought a bag from Merlin years ago AFTER I pulled my passenger-side quarter panel away to get in for rear bumper removal and managed to break one or two of them...easy to replace if you have them (I didn't @ the time). :bwgy:

JoFotoz
02/17/2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks guy...

...and that link is great.

If only we had a search function :whiteflag:

Jo

TheGanzman
02/20/2013, 06:53 AM
My advice is to euthanize yourself IMMEDIATELY!:smilewink

tom4bren
02/20/2013, 06:58 AM
Jo,

I remember blujfan pulling the cladding off of the wrecked VX he bought to send over to OZ. IIRC the only pieces he had a problem with were the doors. Unfortunately, I was battling with removing the rear side glass so I didn't really see what was involved. I remember hearing some quite colorful language about all of the 2 sided tape but I think his biggest problem was one screw that he couldn't get out on the drivers door so he ended up just cutting that screw. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

BTW, if the collision shop ever finds them, I should have some extra cladding screws if you need them.

Tom

VXorado
02/20/2013, 01:47 PM
When I installed the vinyl wrap, I opted to peel back the upper part of the cladding rather than remove the pieces entirely.

All I can say is the sticky tape is quite a formidable opponent. :_brickwal

Good luck Jo. :_beer: <-- drink some of these beforehand.