PDA

View Full Version : Wiper blade sizes?

Sue777
10/27/2003, 05:06 PM
Hi. Haven't even got the thing registered yet, but hubby wants to order new wiper blades for our '01 VX. Unfortunately neither one of us are where the vehicle is, so we don't know what size to order. If he recalls correctly, the driver side and passenger side are two different lengths, right? Anyone know off the top of their heads what sizes we need to order? Thanks.
Sue

AlaskaVX
10/27/2003, 05:24 PM
shorter one (passenger side) is 18 and the longer one is 22 or 24 can't really remember right now

Jonnie
10/27/2003, 06:40 PM
Just go to the store of your choice and you can lookup the size in the booklet with the blades to find the right sizes. The VX will be listed.

Jonathan

PS congrats

Medman
10/27/2003, 07:00 PM
If you want to cover the ENTIRE area of the windshield, get
size 19 for the driver, size 26 for the passenger side; despite what the size booklet tells you.

Medman
10/27/2003, 07:01 PM
Sorry, flip that; 19 for the passenger, 26 for the driver side.

drdavidr4u
10/28/2003, 04:41 PM
I just put new blades on my new VX and love them!! I bought the Anco winter blades. They seem to have a bubber boot over the blade hinge/spring areas to keep out the snow and ice build up in the bad winter days. Look real effective and this winter I will find out!!

But I used one 16" and one 24" and they seem to clear the windscrren very well!!!

by the way, I also used Rain-x product on my windscreen and wow!!!
The water beads off. I was driving home last night in a medium rainstorm and realized I didnt have my wiper blades on!!! At 60mph the water just rolled off the windscreen and my vision was clear. Then I turned on the wipers and though there was visual improvement I could have driven with out them safely!!

Also noticed during pesky drizzles the water just rolled off!!!
I haven't used Rain-x since the 80's, but it still is amazing!!

WyrreJ
10/28/2003, 05:28 PM
I love rain-x, as long as I'm going 40mph or higher I don't need wipers. One thing I've found is that it helps to wear polarized sunglasses if it is near sunrise or sunset or even just a really bright day. It cuts the glare from the water beads very effectively.

TDAWG
10/28/2003, 10:21 PM
I'll diffently 2nd that. I also use fog-x for the windshield

Dallas4u
10/29/2003, 08:15 AM
Quick little story about Rain-X...

I drove an '85 Jeep Cherokee between 17 - 21 (biggest POS). Besides having the electrical system shorting out on me constantly because of the brake master cylinder leaking on the fuse box, and the carburetor needing to be rebuilt every few thound miles, my windshield wiper motor fried on me. I had to drive back to Dallas from Houston (visiting my father), and it was supposed to be pretty rainy in between. I decided to buy some Rain-X, throw it on the windshield, and make a run for it.

Rain-X definitely AIN'T NO REPLACEMENT for windshiled wipers... but it does work pretty damn well!!! (If you live in Texas, you know the kind of pour downs I'm talking about).

driver3
10/29/2003, 10:49 AM
Hey drdavidr4u, do you have any problems with those winter blades "flying" off the windshield when you go fast? I had that problem with regular wipers, after 80, they no longer come in contact with the windshield, I would imagine the rubber boot ones would be like wings. Anyway, I only go with the bosch micro edge excel, other ones just don't clean as well.

drdavidr4u
10/29/2003, 11:33 AM
Hey Driver3!!
I'm almost embarased to say I don't drive over 68mph!!!
But at that speed they were doing a great job!!!
But I'm talking about the Rain-x + new wipers...havent tried the winter blades
w/out the help of the Rain-x.

How long do you go between Rain-x applications? How long does it seem to last?

Spike
10/29/2003, 06:53 PM
I went with PIAA silicon blades...

They came with a glass treatment pad that seems to be similar to rain-x.
5000 miles so far and no chatter at any speed... and water still beading...

driver3
10/30/2003, 07:28 AM
I'm not saying I'm super speeder, but my wipers would always come off the windshield on the highway... it's a pain... but with the bosche they work great...

Sue777
11/08/2003, 12:50 PM
First, thank you all for the great advice about the wipers and Rain-X. It feels like it's been raining for 40 days and 40 nights here in Connecticut lately, but unfortunately for me I STILL haven't gotten to drive my VX!! (Got the title yesterday, went to DMV this morning to register her, found out that I have to get TEMPORARY plates on her to bring her to DMV to have a VIN inspection done?!?!?!? Never ceases to amaze me, when I think I've seen it all from motor vehicles, they throw a new one at me. Since I bought it out of state, THEY need to verify that the VIN number on the title matches the vehicle!:madb2: Anyway, got my temporary plate, and as soon as she's gotten her washing and Armor-Alling, she's hitting the road! First stop - Pep Boys to find a Van Eyes!

My question is board related...... I have checked the box that says "e-mail me when someone replies" but I have never gotten an e-mail! I was shocked to come on here and see all the responses. Sorry I didn't thank you all sooner!
Sue
P.S. So I'm not the only VX in Connecticut????? Nice to know mine has a buddy! :D

Moncha
11/08/2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Sue777
..My question is board related...... I have checked the box that says "e-mail me when someone replies" but I have never gotten an e-mail! I was shocked to come on here and see all the responses...

Unfortunately with the version of the operating software that my server is using, for some unknown reason, there are some email adresses that do not recieve email. I'm fixing that problem in the upcoming upgrade and that should take care of that. I'm sorry for any inconvenience you may have incurred.