PDA

View Full Version : Squeak, chirp finally conquered

bartmanS4
02/12/2013, 06:18 PM
I've been trying to locate the source of a loud squeak/chirp in the rear of my VX for weeks now. I read up on previous posts and one mentioned the transmission mount on the cross-member may be loose or missing bolts/nuts. Turns out only three bolts were holding the cross-member to the frame and they were all loose, and no nuts were holding the trans mount at all. I replaced missing hardware and tightened everything down but this was not the source of the squeak. Doh!
Someone drove me around so I could sit in the back to track it down. That didn't work because the noise wasn't present when I was in the back. Must be related to the suspension then since it goes away when more weight is in the back. So, I sprayed silicone on all the bushings underneath. That didn't help either. Finally while driving and reaching into the back until I found a likely vibration. It was on the forward cargo strap shackle. I removed both and the sound went away. Turns out the bolt that was holding them on was about 1 1/4 inches and would make contact with the top of the fuel tank on bumps. Put a 3/4" bolt back in and wonder full silence. Well, actually now I can hear my exhaust leak better. :rollb:

No, I am not obsessive!

Triathlete
02/12/2013, 07:00 PM
You would hate my VX!

tom4bren
02/13/2013, 03:45 AM
Glad it ended up being an easy fix.

WormGod
02/14/2013, 07:07 AM
Considering my exhaust and my S/C scream like banshees, I have to turn up the radio louder to hear the music. Pretty sure any squeaks and clanks are drowned out by that point. :p

tom4bren
02/14/2013, 07:35 AM
I've been trying to locate the source of a loud squeak/chirp in the rear of my VX for weeks now ... It was on the forward cargo strap shackle ...

Sounds like the time I was trying to find the annoying rattle in my dash. My fix was even more easier that yours.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG00161.jpg

LittleBeast
02/14/2013, 07:38 AM
Haha, Tom wow. Makes me think of the squirrel in Ice Age, he would love your VX ;-)

tom4bren
02/14/2013, 07:42 AM
Yah, we really had a bumper crop o' dem acerns that year (about 3 years ago). It hasn't been that bad since.

bartmanS4
02/14/2013, 09:44 AM
Haha, that's hilarious. What's that sound? It's just my nuts rolling back an forth.

My fix may have been easy but finding the source was a bear. I even removed both passenger inside panels and drove around that way. I thought about using some Great Stuff foam spray or some of that Leak Seal spray. "That leaky roof will cost you ththousandths"
And this was no ordinary squeak, it was the type that burrows into your head through your ear. Think Wrath of Khan worm in helmet.

UWVX89
02/14/2013, 09:53 AM
Haha, that's hilarious. What's that sound? It's just my nuts rolling back an forth.

My fix may have been easy but finding the source was a bear. I even removed both passenger inside panels and drove around that way. I thought about using some Great Stuff foam spray or some of that Leak Seal spray. "That leaky roof will cost you ththousandths"
And this was no ordinary squeak, it was the type that burrows into your head through your ear. Think Wrath of Khan worm in helmet.

Such a great post haha, but My VX has so many noise it creates I think Y'all would go insane. Once it warms up out I'm doing a run over of all bolts and stripping and putting back together all interior panels to eliminate as much issues as I can find!