PDA

View Full Version : strange charaters when I type ...

VX KAT
02/10/2013, 04:15 PM
Hi Scott-

I've had this problem for about a month now.

Almost every time I type three dots like this … -when it is posted to the forum, it comes out as these 3 strange characters. …

It's in the TITLE to this thread for example:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23842

Sometimes my memory is a little fuzzy, but here's some observations:

Sometimes I edit and delete them and that works.

SOMETIMES I have not edited, and it goes away - FOR EXAMPLE…JUST NOW I looked at my other vehicross.info window open, and confirmed the title DID show the 3 characters, but after typing some more of this reply, when I went back to the other window (didn't refresh or anything), they're NOT sappearing…theyre gone.

Also, I think once they reappeared after I used edit to delete them. I did NOT retype the 3 dots…(did it just there now to see if you can see it happen) so I didn't think they'd reappear.

It doesn't seem to generate the 3 characters every time I type 3 dots, but most of the time it does.

EXAMPLES:

VX KAT

2001, Foxfire Red, VX, #0663
Dewey, AZ US

Thanks Mav, but dang, when I right click I don't get that choice or anything similar to it. Tried all the other command line options and couldn't find anything there either…. must be an Apple thing. (and I just can't find it)

Dewey, AZ US

Black on Black RUBICON
OK, I know it's blasphemous to say this….but dayam, this black Jeep Rubicon is awesome! I love the Exo, fender flares, front bumper, roof basket and everything is coated in a light bedliner texture.
And I really like those ProComp Xtreme Mud tires, just like hubby has.
All the mods just go together and work, making it one bad arse looking rig!
Jay, I expect yours to look like this soon!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rubic...orcev4exp=true

Dewey, AZ US

OK, glad I passed on the black Rubi….now I want this burgundy one!

It's a HEMI RUBI!!! Yup, it's got a hemi…

Can't get any pics to copy into this post. can anybody?

But the "thing" on the hood has GOTTA GO! What's that, the off road version of the screamin' eagle on the old trans ams?

Here's another example where it appears in the search list of all my posts, but when I open that post, it's gone. See below screen capture I got.
This was 1/14/13, so it's been almost a month at least.

Forum: Miscellaneous Items For Sale 01/14/2013, 11:59 AM
Replies: 22
[This item has been SOLD] NEW items + remaining items For Sale - MAKE OFFER ON ANYTHING
Views: 493
Posted By VX KAT
sorry, couldn't resist Tom!….:goof:

I described it here post #56
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=273668&postcount=56

Here's a different strange character that's also been appearing in my posts. I haven't looked for a pattern much on this one. It's a black diamond with a question mark inside it. Problem started same time as characters above.

EXAMPLE:

01/16/2013, 02:09 PM

VX KAT

Dewey, AZ US

I made res about 2 months ago and was told "$486.26 for 7 nights with the 15% discount"�.although I just divided it out and it looks like it's $69.99 or $74.99 per night�.I don't see any 15% discount�.?????

I think that "total" he gave me was including tax etc�..so if that's the case, the nightly rate is even higher, more like $79.99/night�hmmmmmmmm??????:_think ing

I might call them and see if my quote is guaranteed�

oh�and "super swanky" can NOT be used in the same sentence when referencing "the Stoop"�LOL�.unless you put a "NOT" in front of it�.

bigblock8396375
02/10/2013, 04:22 PM
You have a hyrogliphtiacl glitch virus.

VX KAT
02/10/2013, 04:25 PM
You have a hyrogliphtiacl glitch virus.

:confused: huh?

Also noticed each example I'd highlighted now has DOUBLED itself, and displays twice…

:freek::eek::eek: and I was having "double" problems this morning on my ebay criteria I was entering….OMG…I've got a virus???

bigblock8396375
02/10/2013, 04:34 PM
I never have those problems with my Apple products.~£>£€£>£<£|£|*#€\>}>#€€. Oh, sh€¥t now I have it!!!

VX KAT
02/10/2013, 04:45 PM
I can't tell if your kidding or what….:confused:
Is there such a virus that has affected Apples?

I'm looking it up now, but if you could give me any more info about it.

vt_maverick
02/10/2013, 05:02 PM
Let's see what happens when I put three dots ...

vt_maverick
02/10/2013, 05:02 PM
Sue are you using Safari?

bigblock8396375
02/10/2013, 05:04 PM
Just kidding, I didn't think you would fall for the hyroglyptical glitch virus routine! Sorry for any inconvenience. Sounds pretty serious.

VX KAT
02/10/2013, 05:14 PM
Sue are you using Safari?

Yes, using Safari.

Your 3 periods are normal.

In this reply mode, the last example I gave in post #1 , is displaying the black triangles.

But when I open a new window, and just read that thread/post…it shows the stray characters instead of the black diamonds. it�

VX KAT
02/10/2013, 05:18 PM
Going to shut down and do some stuff to it….

VX KAT
02/10/2013, 08:22 PM
OK, back up, we found some evidence of a virus, used MacKeeper to sweep everything, installed antivirus, removed virus.

Now typing the 3 periods "…" to see if they still display weird characters…

abc...

VX KAT
02/10/2013, 08:23 PM
ok, great, those came out OK?maybe we're clear now?fingers crossed...:yeso:

VX KAT
02/10/2013, 08:26 PM
ok, great, those came out OK?maybe we're clear now?fingers crossed...:yeso:

Dang! :_brickwal Do you see those question marks after the word OK, and now"? that's not me putting them there.

Wonder if it's on the site vs. from my end…?

vt_maverick
02/11/2013, 07:31 AM
Check the character encoding type in your browser settings. It should read UTF-8 or (Western) ISO-8859-1, if you're using something else your browser might be inserting characters that the site's database doesn't know how to store properly.

Scott Larson
02/11/2013, 11:08 AM
Sue, it appears your Apple has a worm...:rollo2:

RickOKC
02/11/2013, 06:28 PM
Hey Kat, did you get my PM about text editors, browsers, etc changing the characters you type into "symbols"?

I know you're MAC but I've seen how Microsoft Word, for example, changes three periods into ONE symbol that looks like 3 characters and that often freaks out forum software. Quotations can be changed into something internally exclusive, etc.

Weird, but common.

VX KAT
02/11/2013, 07:33 PM
Hey Kat, did you get my PM about text editors, browsers, etc changing the characters you type into "symbols"?

I know you're MAC but I've seen how Microsoft Word, for example, changes three periods into ONE symbol that looks like 3 characters and that often freaks out forum software. Quotations can be changed into something internally exclusive, etc.

Weird, but common.

Hey RIck-
Sorry, yes I did get it, but just haven't had the time to address it/try it yet. my bad...

Vendetta
02/11/2013, 08:10 PM
Yeah, it's not a virus or somesuch... it's just "smart text." It's where certain editors like Word change quotation marks, ellipses, apostrophes and the like from plain text into their typographically equivalent single character.

-V

VX KAT
02/11/2013, 08:12 PM
Yeah, it's not a virus or somesuch... it's just "smart text." It's where certain editors like Word change quotation marks, ellipses, apostrophes and the like from plain text into their typographically equivalent single character.

-V

I understand that, I've seen that happen in some other software…but why all of a sudden? I'm typing the same characters I've been using for years - oh, let me put my three periods here and check it again, see what happens...

VX KAT
02/12/2013, 09:11 PM
Tried my 3 dots on two other forums I visit….no problem at all.
I tried 4 dots above…looks like no problem when I preview it.

Anybody heard from Scott recently? Is he around? I sent a PM weeks ago about this, and then this thread (which I thought was a direct report to Scott, not a thread..oh well), and haven't heard anything. :_thinking

Moncha
02/13/2013, 07:16 AM
Sue, I'm here just been quiet.. Suffered through the death of my Uncle, Grandfather and a Brother In-Law and my 'rents going downhill fast.. All in one month.

I'll check into it and see but it appears that it is pretty isolated to you...

Moncha
02/13/2013, 07:19 AM
Tried my 3 dots on two other forums I visit�.no problem at all.
I tried 4 dots above�looks like no problem when I preview it.

Anybody heard from Scott recently? Is he around? I sent a PM weeks ago about this, and then this thread (which I thought was a direct report to Scott, not a thread..oh well), and haven't heard anything. :_thinking

When you were typing this, what did you type between the t and . in visit and between above and looks?

Might you be hitting a combination of keys w/o realizing it?

VX KAT
02/13/2013, 07:57 AM
When you were typing this, what did you type between the t and . in visit and between above and looks?

Might you be hitting a combination of keys w/o realizing it?

So sorry to hear all that Scott. MY deepest sympathies. Hang in there.

typed 4 dots after the "t" in "visit" with no spaces at all
typed 3 dots after the "e" in "above" with no spaces at all
I don't think I'm doing anything different, so I don't think it's a combination of keys.
I've got to have my Mac/graphics card evaluated. Think it could be involved in this?

Need to log onto Dave's Mac and see if it does it, and also try the other items suggested above.

Do you want to delete this thread and copy it to PMs?