PDA

View Full Version : How to tie down a VX for transport

RodL
02/08/2013, 04:50 AM
Before you say I should just drive it. https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AEtD4tai1BI/TqfVxppInvE/AAAAAAAAGWM/mVFpLkc6Ico/s298-c/SleepyHollowRV take a look at the photo. I move from the North in November and then back in May or June. I take all my toys with me. Previously I had a Mini Cooper that fit in the box on the truck. Now it's the travel spot for the VX. Last weekend I test fit it in a similar truck whose owner drives a "Tracker" and has 10 foot ramps for his truck. Since the Mini was so low to the ground I would have to search out a loading dock to load and unload. (Or pay a tow company $100 to use their ramp truck.

Anyway, I have the tire straps that I used for the Mini. (No frame or axles to tie from). I plan to check the fit and use them too but will want to tie down from the frame, axle's or tow hooks. I have built a wheel/tire chock that will provide a secure stop from forward motion on one corner and the other three wheels will be tied down with opposing frame, axle or tow hook straps. What do you think? Overkill or not enough?

Rodhttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qPhonsHgdRY/Tfao4PcUYAE/AAAAAAAAFpE/EJ4qsWX9oZg/s298-c/JuneRigPhotos

tom4bren
02/12/2013, 05:39 AM
Rod,

It's not just the number & location of tie down points, it's also the sequence. Take tow truck drivers as a guide to how it's done. They are quick but their lives also depend on doing it right.

Typically all 4 corners are tied down from the frame. You need to compress the suspension so that the weight of the vehicle doesn't shift around when the truck is cornering & braking.

This is how I would do it (somebody correct me if I'm wrong):

1. You'll want the load centered over the rear axle of the truck so pull the VX in so that the front wheels have just passed over the rear axle (front of door seam over truck axle). Put VX in park & apply hand brake.

2. Run tie down chain from left rear corner of VX frame to right rear corner tie down in truck. Run tie down chain from right rear corner of VX frame to left rear corner tie down in truck. Both chains should be taught at this point.

3. Run short tie down chain from front right corner of VX frame to front right corner of VX frame (this chain should just touch the floor of the truck when left to swag). Attach winch or come along to center of this chain.

4. If there is a winch mounted to the floor (center front) of the truck, use it to pull the front chain taught (but don't start compressing the suspension yet). If there is not a winch, or a center tie down in the truck, then use another length of chain between the 2 front tie downs & attach the other end of the come along to the center of that chain & pull taught but not drawing yet.

5. Put VX in neutral & release hand brake.

6. Use winch or come along to pull VX forward & compress suspension (you don't need to go all the way down but you want it tight enough that the weight of the VX isn't going to shift a lot during cornering.

7. Put VX in park, apply hand brake, install wheel chocks & any other safety chains.

8. Go for a short drive to test for stability. Go home & check that your load didn't shift & that all tie downs remained secure.

9. Get a good night sleep for a safe trip tomorrow.

Here's some light reading on all 4 sides of the arguement (chains, straps, suspension compressed ... or not):

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218560

RodL
02/12/2013, 08:19 AM
Thank you for your reply and the link.

Rod

tom4bren
02/12/2013, 09:19 AM
BTW - note that in the link, all but one agreed that crossing the tie downs in the back is critical.