PDA

View Full Version : Super Flexy IFS kit: Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace.

VXorado
02/01/2013, 09:16 AM
The time is finally here... Now is your chance to get a SFIFS kit if you missed out on Bigmeat's very limited production run. For those who are new the concept, it's a kit that connects the torsion bar loading & transfers IFS flex from one wheel to the other. It will mimic some characteristics of a solid axle and ultimately give you more stability & flex when you're in situations that force suspension articulation. I tested the kit about a month ago and posted my results at the bottom of this thread.

New design: I have moved the fixing pin location to make it more accessible and easier to remove/insert. I've also included a setup with an air cylinder to remotely lock/unlock the kit from the cab. This requires 100 PSI on board air system.

Price:
Kit without air cylinder setup: $425
Kit with air cylinder/switch ready: $525
Shipping will be additional.

Each kit costs around $270 to have fabricated + cost of stock. The prices could get up to a 30% discount based on the number of orders. This price is not inflated, it only covers my basic costs.

Please only vote YES if you're 100% serious about a kit- as in you would pay me today if I was accepting orders. My goal is to have every kit finished & sent before May. This is a one time deal & I have no future plans for production runs. The voting results are view-able by everyone.

Test:
I installed the SFIFS kit on Sunday and did a quick test last night for suspension flex. I lifted the front passenger side tire until the rear passenger tire started lifting from the ground. I also did the same test on the rear tire and measured height in each scenario.

Results:
Front tire lift with SFIFS off: 24.2"
Front tire lift with SFIFS on: 26.5"

Rear tire with SFIFS off: 27.2"
Rear tire with SFIFS on: 28.8"

I'm happy with the results. I have 2.5" of down travel left in the IFS and the SFIFS used all of it to level out the VX when I lifted the front tire. Less lift or spacers on the upper control arm would add to the articulation. I bet a stock height VX/Trooper would get 5-6" in the same test because of the increased down travel.

Here are a few pics of the suspension in action.
SFIFS off
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/101_3198.jpg?t=1357760682
SFIFS on
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/101_3206_zpsc78f0026.jpg?t=1357760779
Crosslink off center with lifted tire
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/101_3214_zps52dc53e7.jpg?t=1357760812

VXorado
02/04/2013, 10:30 AM
:bump:

I'll be meeting with the Fabricator later this week. Hoping to get the price down a bit.

Also, hoping to take the VX out on a trail to get pics of the suspension in action. Although, it might be too snowy.

tom4bren
02/04/2013, 11:18 AM
RADO,

Good on you for doing this. Unfortunately I won't be interested. With my offset, my fenders would hate me for going superflexy.

Tom

HeckaTrebeka
02/04/2013, 12:19 PM
awww man... I would get one but it's a bad time for me. I just bought another car that I'm restoring which is going to take a bit of money from le wallet.

VXorado
02/04/2013, 08:14 PM
No worries guys. I always wanted a kit for myself and figured I'd at least offer the Isuzu community the chance. Hopefully it work out well for everyone involved. :yesgray:

samneil2000
02/09/2013, 08:57 AM
What ever happened to big meat producing these himself? I thought he was going for a patent or something.

Etfren
02/09/2013, 11:34 AM
Hmmmm, guess I better get to work on my plans for an air compressor in my rig.

VXorado
02/09/2013, 12:42 PM
What ever happened to big meat producing these himself? I thought he was going for a patent or something.

Your guess is as good as mine. I purchased all of the leftover pieces from Allen but didn't get a clear answer to why he stopped making kits. My guess would be lack of orders. :_confused

Hmmmm, guess I better get to work on my plans for an air compressor in my rig.

That's right Eric, get on board air installed before Moab. :naughty:

Any small compressor will work. I'll PM you to go over the details when we get closer to fabrication.

ND92
02/22/2013, 11:45 PM
Im sitting on the fence with this... just a few questions.

wondering what the advantages are?
what I would need to get to go along with the kit?
Also if I install this then install a lift, what would change?
would it be better to not install a lift with this or would it not make a difference?
what kind of air system would be best suited to go along with the air switch?
heads spinning
sorry for the crazy questions but ive been thinking about this ever since you announced that you were making kits.

LittleBeast
02/23/2013, 12:51 AM
My only concern is tearing up my fenders due to my tires already sticking out a bit and being so much taller than stock

VXorado
02/23/2013, 01:44 AM
wondering what the advantages are? More flex and stability on the trails when your VX is in off camber positions.

what I would need to get to go along with the kit? Nothing if you want the setup with the manual pin, air compressor is needed for the pneumatic pin
Also if I install this then install a lift, what would change? You need to pull the torsion bars to install the kit and then the kit can be adjusted again to the previous height. The kit allows full adjustment of the torsion bars so changing the lift later is simple.
would it be better to not install a lift with this or would it not make a difference? The less IFS lift, the better. The kit worked well in my testing with 2 " IFS lift because I still had around 2.5" left of down travel. With more down travel, the kit is able to level out the body more in flexy situations. You can get more down travel with less lift or spacers on the upper ball joint. It's not a big deal unless you have 5" IFS lift and only an 1" of down travel because in this instance, the max articulation that can be used is only 1"
what kind of air system would be best suited to go along with the air switch? any 100 PSI compressor will work. You can run the compressor directly to the kit solenoid and skip buying a tank. Viair makes some good options

heads spinning
sorry for the crazy questions but ive been thinking about this ever since you announced that you were making kits. No worries dude. :_beer:

Unfortuntely, I'm having trouble finding a quality fabricator to build the kits for a reasonable cost. I've decided to finish some of the fabricating myself, however each kit requires 4 pieces of thick metal to be cut & machined. I've spent the last month contacting at least 10 shops and all but 1 quote I've recieved have been extremely high. I based the $400-$500 price point on the lowest quote but now the fabricator told me he can't do the cutting :_brickwal. I have have one last quote coming in from a waterjet shop... might be my last effort :_confused

VXorado
02/23/2013, 01:52 AM
My only concern is tearing up my fenders due to my tires already sticking out a bit and being so much taller than stock

My rear tires did rub until I adjusted the bumpstops correctly. Thankfully, all of the rubbing occured well within the wheel wells and didn't cause any damage. It's one of those things you have to test out on the trail... or with a forklift. :thumbup:

Triathlete
02/23/2013, 06:45 AM
Rado...have you tried Ballistic fab or Stinky fab? Don't know that they will be cheaper but worth a shot. Both do very nice quality stuff. Shipping may be the killer though...Ballistic is in Az and Stnky in Cal.

VXorado
02/23/2013, 09:32 PM
Rado...have you tried Ballistic fab or Stinky fab? Don't know that they will be cheaper but worth a shot. Both do very nice quality stuff. Shipping may be the killer though...Ballistic is in Az and Stnky in Cal.

The funny thing is, I happen to be on Stinky Fab's website the other day and noticed the tab for "custom fabrication." Thought about it but i'm sure shipping would be spendy.

The water jet shop will be the best deal I'm going to get. A friend of mine goes though the shop frequently for big jobs and should get a nice discount for that reason. Also, he offered to draw everything spec'd for the water jet, so the cutting should be very easy for the shop.

Bigmeat did an awesome job pricing these at $300. He said he had access to a machine shop and I assume that's how he kept the price low. I wish I could do the work myself but it requires thick cutting, a lathe & mill. That's why I'll probably throw in the towel if this last quote is high. I'll still finish my kit (only needs the centerlink) and setup Eric's kit for the new pin but that will be it. Additionally, I'll post all the specs and drawing to help anyone in the future.

I have a negative outlook on the project now but we'll see. Maybe the last quote will work and the project will be back on track...:thumbup:

EVO
03/06/2013, 06:11 PM
I just found this thread!! I would be paypaling you right now for a full kit air cylinder and switch ready!! Damn!! Glad to see people still thinking outside the box!! Hope things work themselves out, put me on the list for sure!!