PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE respond so i will have a car to drive tomorrow

cowbellsrock
10/26/2003, 07:53 AM
i drained my tansission fluid yesterday without realizing there was no dipstick to refill it. to refill into the fill plug what eactly do you have to use and how. right now i have a pump that connects to the transmission fluid bottle, but the end that the fluid comes out has a plastic thing that is to big to fit up into the fill hole. i tried to pump some into the bottom of the hole but it just drained back out. please help

SGT.BATGUANO
10/26/2003, 12:14 PM
What kind of pump? Hand or electric? Can you cut the "big thing" off the end of the pump hose and keep proper pump functionality? Maybe the thing is a check valve to prevent backflow into the pump, which is not critical for this situation.

Ideally you want a hand suction pump that looks kind of like a grease gun. You pull back the plunger to fill from bottle, then put hose in upper fill hole and push the plunger.

In a pinch, sometimes you can use an empty, clean rear axle fluid bottle. The kind that comes with a pointed tip that you cut to desired size. Get a length of 3/8" I.D. hose (about 2 feet). Cut the tip from the axle fluid bottle so that the 3/8 hose fits tightly. Cut the hose to the shortest length that will allow you to manipulate the bottle to a point higher than the fill hole, under the truck. Fill the axle fluid bottle with your trans fluid and attach cap/ hose assembly. With the hose in the hole, begin to squeeze or crush the axle fluid bottle to fill the trans etc. When the container is empty, you can reshape and refill it several times, but watch for leaks.

Hotsauce
10/26/2003, 12:28 PM
6 ft of 3/8 hose, and a funnel it fits on. Stick the hose in fill hole, and stand next to the car holding the funnel. fill till it comes out, then top it off again running. fluid it checked at idle, hot in neutral.

Be careful not to get run over, M'kay?

John C.

SGT.BATGUANO
10/26/2003, 12:34 PM
or

What he ^^^ said.:) Lay a container or some paper towels where the fluid will spill when it overfills.

Jonnie
10/26/2003, 03:18 PM
Just in case, you are filling into the filler hole and not the drain, right?

Jonathan

cowbellsrock
10/26/2003, 05:36 PM
thanks for the help. I ended up connecting a smaller hose to the hose i had and pumped it in. I also topped it off while it was running. Does anybody know where i can get a used service manual?

MrCrowley
10/27/2003, 07:41 AM
Cool. A fourth VX in Bama. 1 white, 1 black, 2 silvers. You wont stop hearing "what in da wurld is dat der little truck?" LOL