PDA

View Full Version : how to add transmission fluid

cowbellsrock
10/25/2003, 04:38 PM
i drained fluid from the pan and now need to know how to refill it. i assummed there was a dipstick, but now i see that there is a filler drain right next to it. How do i fill the fluid into there? i only drained about 4 quarts also. PLEASE HELP

MZ-N10
10/25/2003, 05:52 PM
...the tranny fluid was a b*tch to do....you have to pump it in from a bolt...it should say on the manual if u still have it....when i did mine it took me a good 1/2 an hour of pumping before i got 4 quarts in....
________
DOLL._SQUIRT (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/DOLL._SQUIRT)

cowbellsrock
10/26/2003, 07:49 AM
what eactly do you have to use and how. right now i have a pump that connects to the transmission fluid bottle, but the end that the fluid comes out has a plastic thing that is to big to fit up into the fill hole. i tried to pump some into the bottom of the hole but it just drained back out

MZ-N10
10/26/2003, 08:04 AM
theres a smaller bolt on teh pan....you are suppose to pump it into the smaller bolt hole until its full....it should be like 3 quarts or soemthing...then start the car and pump the rest of the tranny fluid in...
________
The Cliff Condos (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

ScubaSteve
10/27/2003, 05:10 AM
Just changed my tranny fluid this weekend... oddly enough the old tranny fluid was just as clean as the stuff I put in.... oh well - at least I know it's changed.

I had the same problem. Owner's manual says take it to the dealer for a tranny fluid change, but all you have to do is go to AutoZone and buy a Suction Pump. It was marked as $34.99, but when I got to the register the dude said "$10.49, sir"... :) Can't complain.

Anyway, yeah the end is the same size as the hole, but get a friend to pump the ATF while you hold the end of the tube as flush against the overflow drain as you can. I think we drained maybe 4 qts or so from both the tranny AND the transfer case. As for the amount to fill, just keep fillin' til it overflows. Then start up the truck, shift through the gears a bit... get it all "up in 'dere"... turn it off, open the overflow, fill it some more... etc.. until you get in as much as you took out. I plan to go 'down below' again probably this afternoon with a cup and open that overflow just to let anything else that wants to drain drain:) If i'm not mistaken, you can cause damage if your tranny sump is too full. Only thing that sucks is the fact that you lose a bit of tranny fluid -- no big deal unless like me you paid almost $100 for the ATF case!

While we're on the subject of fluids, i believe there's a drain for the rear diff, but what about the front? seem to recall someone saying the drain is just the lowest bolt?:confused:

Dallas4u
10/27/2003, 11:51 AM
It's true. The front diff drain is the lowest bolt.

ScubaSteve
10/27/2003, 12:01 PM
rock on dallas:)

Dallas4u
10/27/2003, 12:19 PM
No, YOU rock on my friend... :D

Joe_Black
10/27/2003, 01:36 PM
This might help... Tranny and Diff Gallery (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3058&ppuser=234&thumb=1)

driver3
04/15/2004, 10:59 AM
The pictures on the link are nice, my problem is the transfer case. I got the transmission flush and fill, but does that include the transfer case? If not, I need instructions on how to do that...