PDA

View Full Version : Our Mods are BAD!!!

I_Wanna_Retire
10/24/2003, 02:58 PM
So, I took my son's VX into the local dealer to get the headlight gaskets replaced, and while there I made the mistake of telling them it has been stalling occasionally. Approximately 20 minutes later, the service guy called me back to the garage, and he and the mechanic laid into me about all the BAD mods.

1) The K&N filter is BAD because is is oil based, and the oil causes severe problems to the sensors.

2) The PV muffler is BAD because it causes obscene pressures in the engine.

They even mentioned our BAD oversize Kumho tires. I was surprised they didn't send me to VX jail due to the convex mirror on the passenger side.

The funniest part was when they tried to change the headlight gaskets without replacing the headlights. They ended up tearing the gaskets and having to order another set.

Ah, the trials and tribulations of being a VX owner...

CoPiChE
10/24/2003, 03:04 PM
What size tires do you have? are you still using the stock rims?

-x-
10/24/2003, 03:07 PM
...when we're good, we're good but when we're bad we're BETTER! ;Db;

Keep up the bad work im right there with ya! ...x

Daver
10/24/2003, 03:39 PM
To quote my favorite movie...

"I may be bad, but I feel...goooood."

-Daver

omegavx
10/24/2003, 04:12 PM
RE: 2. did they say the stalling was a result of the PV or they just said it was bad cause the pressure, but it wasn't the cause of the problem? I'd be interested in finding out if anyone else with a PV is having a stalliing problem or not.

Tone
10/24/2003, 04:58 PM
So less pressure from the PV is bad? No muffler maybe but.... I’ve been running one for several years without a problem.

K&N oil can be bad if overdone.

SGT.BATGUANO
10/24/2003, 05:39 PM
So are there any details on the backpressures of the stock and PV mufflers ,i.e., numbers?

Hotsauce
10/24/2003, 06:08 PM
The PV is less restrictive. It creates less backpressure. This leans the engine out, creating the power and mileage gains.

John C.

omegavx
10/25/2003, 09:15 AM
So stalling is probably more of a result of the K&N filter and its oil then from the PV?

VX-KING
10/25/2003, 11:10 AM
hey I_Wanna_Retire

take my advise use the #1 products that i use
HOT SHOT INTAKE-FLOWMASTERS MUFFLERS

wfjfg
10/25/2003, 11:47 AM
They believe the stalling was caused by bad intake gaskets (or so the engiine code said), so they got me for $300, and I will let you know if that solved the problem or not. I don't believe them for an instant on the BAD mods. The K&N is fairly new and I have never oiled it myself. The PV1 can't be doing anything bad because it sounds so good.

In any event, no matter what they said, I plan to make some of the same mods to my VX. Screw em...

WormGod
10/26/2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by VX-KING
hey I_Wanna_Retire

take my advise use the #1 products that i use
HOT SHOT INTAKE-FLOWMASTERS MUFFLERS

I dunno about that. Considering HotShot's intake (and yes, I have one and it's more eye candy than anything) had minimal testing and ONLY testing done on a Trooper. Also, I have seen "0" numbers for ANY power gains of the Flowmasters on a VX. I know they suX0r3d on my Rodeo. Not to knock you choices and advice, but Having the HotShot intake and the PV, I feel my retort is a justified opinion. ;)

Carry on troops.

Tone
10/26/2003, 05:53 PM
VX-King has yet to produce ANY pics of his (or any one elses) and just loves to get us riled up. He’s a class A loser in my book. Maybe he’ll at least show his face at one of the NY meets but always seems to have an excuse why he can’t seem to make it. And I know he won’t come down to TX to get his medicine!

VX-KING
10/27/2003, 08:34 AM
Tone
Ultra Site Supporting Mod

‘Blown’ ‘99 Ebony #0336
Austin
Joined Jun 2002
599 Posts Post# 13
VX-King has yet to produce ANY pics of his (or any one elses) and just loves to get us riled up. He’s a class A loser in my book. Maybe he’ll at least show his face at one of the NY meets but always seems to have an excuse why he can’t seem to make it. And I know he won’t come down to TX to get his medicine!

listen tone i've beeen working my vx for a long time and yes its been too long but i also have to work just like everybody else in the world to make money so my vx should be done by the end of November and sorry about the wait and i hope to get the front skid plate, and the grill kit for Ron so i can finish and do you know who sells chrome side bars for the vehicross and i promise you that my vx is totally different tan the other 5,000 vehicross'es that were made in the USA.

Cyrk
10/27/2003, 08:43 AM
joy...

ron
10/27/2003, 09:16 AM
hey Tone and everyone else...

I'm here to verify VX-Kings order. I talked to him a bit over the phone last week and he sounds legit. I believe he had also purchased a set of stock 18's from another member of the board as well.

He's currently on the list for the front skidplate (unpainted) and ordered the stainless grill kit #2 and shifterplate covers (recarro red). So, before any flaming should go any further, let's wait and see the pics of his modified VX when it's finished. From our brief conversation, it sounds like it's going to an interesting unveiling. Keep doing what you're doing VX-King.

Oh, btw Tone, I believe VX-King is interested in purchasing a set of the chrome side bars from ya. Might want to send him an e-mail. ;)

cheers all...

AlaskaVX
10/27/2003, 11:27 AM
Just saying VX-King sent me a pic of a VX that was an enormous size 99megs or something, so I know he cant post that to the site. However I don't see how the hell he can say anything about the Hot shot intake, since he wasn't around when these where being produced.

On Your Left
11/20/2003, 09:45 AM
Given the direction this thread was taking I'm not sure I want to continue it, but did think the discussion was interesting.

Has a concensus been met about K&N causing problems due to the oil? And what about Flowmaster vs PV? Why does everyone seem so big on PV for the VX? Is it that much better?

Dallas4u
11/20/2003, 09:59 AM
The reason people like the PV is because it was custom designed FOR the VX. Plus, it has shown to give a sizeable amount of HP when compared to stock. I don't think anyone has compared the PV and anything else aftermarket side-by-side. So, for the reason alone that someone designed and made a custom muffler for the VX and it added a decent amount of hp, the PV is well liked.

As for a K&N filter, I like my drop in. I compared it with an AMSoil filter, and while the AMSoil probably filters better, I just like the "feeling" of my K&N. I'm not saying there is a performance difference as I can't back it up, but it "feels" like the K&N gives a bit of a performance boost. Therein may be the problem, though, as it may not filter as much as the AMSoil, which in turn isn't good for the engine.

Anita
11/20/2003, 10:04 AM
On Your Left,

I can answer your last question about the PV. The reason many of us purchased them was that the PV was built and dyno-tested on a VX. Gains of horsepower were documented. If you want to see information on the PV and testing stats before and after installation of a PV, go to

http://tonemonday.com/Storage/pv_muffler.pdf

You will need Adobe reader for it.

The search function on "PV" will bring tons of information on it. I think most who have a PV product are really happy with it. The louder sound was a boost for many but a real detraction for others.

On Your Left
11/20/2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info.

Anita, when you refer to the sound, and I've heard others mention its "louder" in other threads, are we talking about a deep, throaty sound, like I've heard from a Flowmaster on other vehicles or more of the compact sports cars, like Fast & Furious? The VX may be a Japanese motor, but I want it to sound like it looks.

Dallas4u
11/20/2003, 11:02 AM
I can vouch for the PV (first gen) as having a much deep(er) sound than a rice can. I wouldn't have kept it on if it didn't. The PV (gen 2) was coming with a "wheezinator" muffle cone (I guess) installed, and many didn't like the sound. Most have since removed the piece and it seems to sound better. I can't tell you if there is a difference in sound between gens 1 and 2, but my gen 1 sound really good. It usually takes a bit for the sound to deepen.

Flowmasters I believe were originally made for V8's, and for a while, their mufflers for smaller engines (V6's) weren't sounding too good. They may have since fixed this, but I have no idea. I do remember a Borla on my firends VW Corrado, and it was pretty quick, but loud and obnoxious as hell!

Anita
11/20/2003, 11:16 AM
This is where there is a lot of different opinions. The consensus I believe among those who have had their PV is that the sound at the beginning is moderately loud, a bit "wheezy" at full throttle and can be a bear to get used to. Some owners could not get past that and traded out the PV.

I think for the majority of PV owners who stuck with it have said that the sound definitely mellows with time. It mellows and the pitch goes lower. It will always be louder than stock.. so know that up front. Many have solved this by dynamatting their VXes.

Some hated the exhaust tip and switched it out or took out the "filter" (for lack of a better word) in the tip, so the wheeze sound would stop.

Some PV owners will tell you that they do notice better performance and better gas mileage.

I am very happy with the sound of my VX now. It certainly gets attention without making neighbors angry in the morning when you start up the VX. That and the fact that the PV is the creation of a forum member, Featherfoot. ;Dr;

hchen
11/20/2003, 01:23 PM
i have a magnaflow muffler...2 1/2 inch mandrel bend custom catback...soon to make it dual exhaust just for the looks even tho it wont do anythign with the power...

i dont have any dynos but i've driven it hard when i was running stock and i drive it hard now with my mods...and you can definately feel a stronger pull, but not by much...even with any mods that only helps you gain 10 hp on such a heavy vehicle...like i said b4 on a previous thread...if you really wanan go fast, do an engine swap..or get the supercharger/exhaust/intake, and gut the whole interior and replace the two front seats with sparcos or bride racing seats and im pretty sure it'll shed many hundreds of pounds which will DEFINATELY improve your performance.

Raque Thomas
11/20/2003, 01:33 PM
I've heard the PV, but only reving up while sitting still - kind of sounded like a muffler with a hole or leak. I'm looking for a European sound - more throaty. Has any one tried a Monza or exhaust like that?