PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Mystery Oil

blacksambo
01/05/2013, 11:40 PM
Well, we all talk about 6VE1oil consumption problems.
We've encountered this with the three '99's we've owned.
Recently decided to give Marvel Mystery Oil a try in this regard.
Before my semi - annual oill change ran a quart for approx 300 miles, then did my standard Mobil 1 oil change.
Will miracles never cease. 400 miles later, no oil use to speak of (typically I'd notice it being down almost half a quart at this mileage).
Has anybody else tried this trick? I'd also add that the engine runs quieter and more powerfully (just anecdotally).

VX KAT
01/06/2013, 07:59 AM
Well….the name would make me skeptical…"Sounds too good to be true"…….but real world experience sounds like it might actually be working….truly a "Mystery"…,,,hmmmmm:_thinking

You'd think if it was a great product with some breakthrough technology, it would be named something more reputable.
Sure hope I don't find it on WalMart's "As seen on tv" aisle. (Although I don't know if it's on TV…you get the analogy)...

Can't wait to hear interval reports over the next 6-12 months…..keep details and keep us posted!

Mile High VX
01/06/2013, 08:11 AM
This product has been around since the '30s...it's actually now owned by Turtle Wax.

Very similar to other "add in" products like Lucas, which I use regularly.

Has great reputation and seems to be a quality product.

VX KAT
01/06/2013, 10:08 AM
hmmm, hubby just said it's been around forever just like Mile High said….how is it that I've never heard of this one….:_thinking
How's this additive work and does it claim to stop/prevent/reduce oil use? (I know I'm lazy this Sun morn…didn't look up info on it :o)

blacksambo
01/06/2013, 12:36 PM
My very experienced NAPA counter guy recomended it for the oil drain hole clogging our pistons get. So far so good. I'll keep you posted.

Ldub
01/06/2013, 01:12 PM
hmmm, hubby just said it's been around forever just like Mile High said….how is it that I've never heard of this one….:_thinking
How's this additive work and does it claim to stop/prevent/reduce oil use? (I know I'm lazy this Sun morn…didn't look up info on it :o)

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/about/

blacksambo
01/06/2013, 08:05 PM
Well said.

VX KAT
01/06/2013, 10:44 PM
Really interesting stuff!

When added to engine oil, Marvel reduces and prevents valve sticking and clatter by breaking down harmful deposits of carbon and sludge.

Marvel will prevent sludge build-up from occurring in new engines and removes sludge from older engines

1) Couldn't this potentially cause oil leaks at the rubber gaskets, same as many say happens when they switch to synthetic? Because it's thought it cleans off the buildup that was actually sealing a gasket.
I didn't have any leaks when I switched to synth, don't want to test fate:?:

2) "Jets"..they spray fuel or oil into cylinder?

3) Is this much different than Seafoam or Lucas and what they claim with those products? Although I know you only use Seafoam periodically, not at every fill up, and you don't leave it in the oil long term either IIRC when I used it.

89Vette
01/06/2013, 11:57 PM
http://www.conncoll.edu/offices/ehs/EnvhealthDocs/Marvel_Mystery_Oil.pdf

Looks primarily like a solvent. Naptha + Mineral sprits.

Since I'm fairly convinced the bottom oil ring design is responsible for units that burn oil, it's equally plausible that this solvent "frees" up sticky oil-scraper rings to perform their job [correctly] again.

Risky? IDK.

I'm not sure I'd use it continuously...like the website implies.

Sounds more like "Engine Flush" which is used to clean just prior to an oil change.

tom4bren
01/07/2013, 05:07 AM
Well….the name would make me skeptical…"Sounds too good to be true"…….but real world experience sounds like it might actually be working….truly a "Mystery"…,,,hmmmmm:_thinking

How about Motor Honey ... no, really - the stuff is still on the shelves.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1117497

evillecutter
01/07/2013, 07:02 AM
i have 3 vintage cans of this in my garage i think i inherited them - think they expire? and it sounds exactly like seafoam...

Ldub
01/07/2013, 07:06 AM
i have 3 vintage cans of this in my garage - think they expire? ...

a teaspoon's worth of "taste testing" ought to answer that question...:laughing:

evillecutter
01/07/2013, 07:34 AM
a teaspoon's worth of "taste testing" ought to answer that question...:laughing:

accidentally used tablespoons instead of teaspoons - did NOT remove the coffee stains from my teeth

VxSport
01/07/2013, 08:06 AM
I tried this stuff, told about it from my fav mechanic. I only tried it for a short time before switching to a Lucas product. I didn't see any improvement on the oil consumtion problem. I like most of us, check the oil on a very reg basis. Yesterday added 1/4 quart addjustment. On average I use a quart per 750 miles, and have for the past 5 years / 70K. We have a original engine with 144k on it. I have been VERY lucky.

blacksambo
01/08/2013, 08:31 PM
Really interesting stuff!1) Couldn't this potentially cause oil leaks at the rubber gaskets, same as many say happens when they switch to synthetic? Because it's thought it cleans off the buildup that was actually sealing a gasket.
I didn't have any leaks when I switched to synth, don't want to test fate:?:

2) "Jets"..they spray fuel or oil into cylinder?

3) Is this much different than Seafoam or Lucas and what they claim with those products? Although I know you only use Seafoam periodically, not at every fill up, and you don't leave it in the oil long term either IIRC when I used it.

Well! That's why Mobil 1 invented their high mileage version (75K+). I had leaks too until I switched to this version that contains a seal improving ingredient. This type of seal technology is available by itself, but Mobil 1 does it in one convenient package. I've noticed no leaking since introducing Marvel Mystery. I'm now at 750 miles and am using less than half the oil I'd expect. I'll keep you posted.

kehecross
01/13/2013, 04:56 PM
Well! That's why Mobil 1 invented their high mileage version (75K+). I had leaks too until I switched to this version that contains a seal improving ingredient. This type of seal technology is available by itself, but Mobil 1 does it in one convenient package. I've noticed no leaking since introducing Marvel Mystery. I'm now at 750 miles and am using less than half the oil I'd expect. I'll keep you posted.

Hey blacksambo, Did this do the trick? I have a 2000 with 68000 mi on it and it started using more oil. But it does not use the same amount everytime. sometimes it uses a quart in 300mi and then the next time it will go 500 mi before I loose any oil. I want to give this a shot seeing how it is just starting to use oil.

blacksambo
01/13/2013, 09:14 PM
I'd check your oil filler cap seal. Then your PCV valve condition, first.If those items check out give Marvel a try before your next oil change.

evillecutter
01/14/2013, 06:11 AM
i dropped a quart in we'll see what happens - says to use every oil change and leave in not like seafoam where you put in a few hundred miles before changing oil but im going to change it after a few hundred anyways

kehecross
01/14/2013, 09:55 AM
I'd check your oil filler cap seal. Then your PCV valve condition, first.If those items check out give Marvel a try before your next oil change.

Been there, Done that! Its all good or new.:bwgy:

Jolly Roger VX'er
01/21/2013, 09:16 AM
found this interesting thread (specific posts are #3 & #6):

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=357873

kehecross
01/21/2013, 06:19 PM
Just dumped a 1/2 quart in today. Hope it works! From the sound of the other forum he had luck with MMO loosening the rings on his motor. I figure it is worth a shot, It is not any good the way it is. I have talked to a lot of people who swear by the stuff. The only thing I am not sure of is using Shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic. I know I have read on here where some have been using it since VX was new. But I don't think I want too use it, I think I will stay with Castrol for now and see if consumption improves with MMO.

blacksambo
01/21/2013, 08:27 PM
Synthetic I wouldn't worry about. Not using I would be concerned about as it is so far superior to standard oil. Marvel Mystery might or might not clear the sludge from the piston oil drain holes which tend to clog with the 6ve1. It's worth a shot. Our engines don't burn oil as much as pump it out through the PCV system due to internal pressure or vacuum (more correctly).

Ldub
01/21/2013, 09:02 PM
Our engines don't burn oil as much as pump it out through the PCV system due to internal pressure or vacuum (more correctly).

Couldn't agree more...:_wrench:

kehecross
01/22/2013, 08:57 AM
If oil consumtion is also being caused by pcv, Then why does it take 50,000 miles for it to show up? I would say it might be a small part of the problem. Or are you saying that because the oil holes are plugged this causes the internal pressures to force the oil out?

blacksambo
01/22/2013, 08:59 AM
It takes time to plug up those pesky piston oil drain holes with sludge.

89Vette
01/22/2013, 10:43 AM
If oil consumtion is also being caused by pcv, Then why does it take 50,000 miles for it to show up? I would say it might be a small part of the problem. Or are you saying that because the oil holes are plugged this causes the internal pressures to force the oil out?

PCV's are basically installed and built-in to compensate for increasing "blow-by" as engine's age. The older they get, the more blow-by...and need for pressure equalization.

IMO, the question is whether issues with ring design is causing pre-mature blow-by....and "engagement" of the PCV function.

VX KAT
01/22/2013, 10:50 AM
PCV's are basically installed and built-in to compensate for increasing "blow-by" as engine's age. The older they get, the more blow-by...and need for pressure equalization.

IMO, the question is whether issues with ring design is causing pre-mature blow-by....and "engagement" of the PCV function.

wow, that's interesting, I didn't know how the pcv worked. :thumbup:
What would happen if the pcv valve got stuck closed?

tom4bren
01/22/2013, 10:52 AM
Excessive head pressure isn't just an Isuzu thang. I had 2 MOPAR engines in the past that required constant maintenance of oil breather & PCV. They would crud up worse than a North Dakota nostril in February.

tom4bren
01/22/2013, 10:53 AM
wow, that's interesting, I didn't know how the pcv worked. :thumbup:
What would happen if the pcv valve got stuck closed?

On one of the engines I just mentioned, it caused oil to spray out of the dipstick tube. $8 & 5 minutes of labor later & I was back to 2000 miles to the quart.

kehecross
01/22/2013, 01:32 PM

Question answered!!!:) If the oil rings are getting gunked up and are sticking inside the groove that would aid in the added blow by (although they are just a scrapper and as far as I know they do not add that much to compression.) So as I said in previous post I did change out the PCV and had no change in oil consumtion. The PCV can only do so much. So one must get these rings and holes cleaned up someway short of a complete rebuild.

blacksambo
01/22/2013, 02:00 PM
So one must get these rings and holes cleaned up someway short of a complete rebuild.[/QUOTE]

That's why I mentioned Marvel Mystery Oil.

kehecross
01/22/2013, 03:23 PM
Yes sir I got ya:yeso:

evillecutter
01/23/2013, 07:29 AM
the mystery of the oil is whether it works or not - 500 miles later and no change for me

blacksambo
01/23/2013, 07:45 PM
I'd keep trying it. What do you have to lose...$4.00?

Scott Larson
01/23/2013, 08:02 PM
There's no such thing as a magic cure, that said, Marvel is not magic, nor is it a mystery. It's just a high strength petroleum detergent with good lubrication qualities. In the RC world we've used it for years to keep nitro engines from gunking-up and sticking during storage. With that knowledge in mind, I've used it for as many years in automotive, marine and motorcycle engines with satisfactory results, but no miracles...

:_steering

VX KAT
01/23/2013, 08:15 PM
There's no such thing as a magic cure, that said, Marvel is not magic, nor is it a mystery. It's just a high strength petroleum detergent with good lubrication qualities. In the RC world we've used it for years to keep nitro engines from gunking-up and sticking during storage. With that knowledge in mind, I've used it for as many years in automotive, marine and motorcycle engines with satisfactory results, but no miracles...

:_steering

Scott- Do you think this MMO would clean so well that leaks may occur when it cleans away crud/varnish,which were acting as a seal?

Scott Larson
01/23/2013, 08:28 PM
Sue, in my opinion, no. It is has detergent qualities but it is not harsh, I've never experienced any problems nor would I expect any. I've used Amsoil Engine Cleaner in several engines with only good results also...The "false seals" you're referring to really only show-up in high-mileage, truly dirty engines.

VX KAT
01/23/2013, 08:36 PM
Sue, in my opinion, no. It is has detergent qualities but it is not harsh, I've never experienced any problems nor would I expect any. I've used Amsoil Engine Cleaner in several engines with only good results also...The "false seals" you're referring to really only show-up in high-mileage, truly dirty engines.

Thansk Scott.
I used Seafoam once in '09, then used the Amsoil Engine cleaner in 2011
For my VX with 81,400k and about 4,000 miles/year, how frequent should I use these cleaners?

THe MMO sounds so good, I'm thinking of throwing a quart of that in too.

Scott Larson
01/23/2013, 08:54 PM
No prob Sue. As to your second question, if you change oil regularly using quality oil and filters (such as Amsoil Synthetic), you should never need to run an engine cleaner again. It's one of those things you do when you get a used vehicle and suspect or confirm that it was not properly maintained by the previous owner(s)...

89Vette
01/23/2013, 08:57 PM

Mechanical backgroud?

Assuming yes...if you buy into the benefit of MMO, what about "Motor Flush"for higher concentrated (oil-change) flushing? Seems like this would be the next level of treatment really hoping to free up engine sludge.

I'm thinking it's mosting Naptha...and you add a whole quart, idle for a few minutes, then dump....and change oil.

Scott Larson
01/23/2013, 09:10 PM
An old-school trick to engine cleaning was to ad a quart of diesel fuel/fuel oil to your engine for about a half hour of run time and then pull the plug, I wouldn't recommend that trick any more. There's also alot of voodoo engine cleaners I wouldn't trust either, especially anything containing naptha, ether, toluene, acetone or anything caustic.

Scott Larson
01/23/2013, 09:25 PM
I guess the bottom line is if you have a really gunked-up, high mileage engine and feel you must clean it, don't be surprised if you open a can-o-worms in the process. Don't let your engine get that way and don't buy an engine that way and you should be good...and still you can have problems, there are no guarantees!! Too many forum members have done exactly the right things and still gotten burned...

kehecross
01/24/2013, 05:23 AM
I guess the bottom line is if you have a really gunked-up, high mileage engine and feel you must clean it, don't be surprised if you open a can-o-worms in the process. Don't let your engine get that way and don't buy an engine that way and you should be good...and still you can have problems, there are no guarantees!! Too many forum members have done exactly the right things and still gotten burned...

I am with ya Scott, My VX started using more oil about 7000 miles ago it went from a quart 1000 to 1500 mile to a quart 300 to 700 miles. I figure that maybe if I add MMO now maybe I get it clean before it goes to long. I am the second owner of this car. Bought it with 56000 miles it now has 69000 miles on it. I honestly think that MMO would be not as harsh as some other engine cleaners out there. If it works I'm happy happy happy! if not I will run it till it blows. Just gotta try something

evillecutter
01/24/2013, 06:28 AM
I'd keep trying it. What do you have to lose...$4.00?

you are right - and it does seem to have quieted it down a bit but it could just be my imagination

89Vette
01/24/2013, 07:13 AM
It would be reasonable to assume that units still running well -- and w/o any lower ring issues -- will be aging to the point where valve seals will seep (especially at start-up). Take a good look out the back window at (cold) start-up. If you see some [light-bluish] smoke, that's probably where your oil is going.

MMO definitely won't help that. Not really convinced these high-mileage oils would provide the "magic" seal conditioner that would help valve seals either. Seems they're more for simple leaky gaskets -- which are better off replaced.

Scott Larson
01/24/2013, 07:39 AM
Sleeping on an issue sometimes brings clarity...I recall this morning something my dad did to free sticky rings in our '64 Comet with great results. It was burning oil and he knew it was getting past the rings 'cuz it even smoked a little after warm-up, so one Friday night after mom got home he pulled the plugs and poured Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and then turned the engine over a few times by hand and shut the hood 'till Sunday afternoon. He reinstalled the plugs and fired it up, let it build oil pressure and then reved the hell out of it; man did that thing smoke! After about five minutes of idling and occasional reving he took it out with me and "burned the carbon out". No more smoking Comet, the MMO freed-up the rings and they did their job for the next couple of years until my older brother got the car and proceeded to wreck it much to our father's dismay...Now, would that trick work on our oft-times fouled-ringed little V6's? Can't see how it could hurt to try, it dissolved whatever gunk was sticking the rings in that old Ford. In hindsight, and with what I've learned since all those years ago, I'm sure the ring-lands were carboned-up and the Marvel dissolved that carbon. Sounds like a familiar situation, hmmmmmmm...:_confused Anybody care to give it a shot? :luck:

Mile High VX
01/24/2013, 10:31 AM
Sleeping on an issue sometimes brings clarity...I recall this morning something my dad did to free sticky rings in our '64 Comet with great results. It was burning oil and he knew it was getting past the rings 'cuz it even smoked a little after warm-up, so one Friday night after mom got home he pulled the plugs and poured Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and then turned the engine over a few times by hand and shut the hood 'till Sunday afternoon. He reinstalled the plugs and fired it up, let it build oil pressure and then reved the hell out of it; man did that thing smoke! After about five minutes of idling and occasional reving he took it out with me and "burned the carbon out". No more smoking Comet, the MMO freed-up the rings and they did their job for the next couple of years until my older brother got the car and proceeded to wreck it much to our father's dismay...Now, would that trick work on our oft-times fouled-ringed little V6's? Can't see how it could hurt to try, it dissolved whatever gunk was sticking the rings in that old Ford. In hindsight, and with what I've learned since all those years ago, I'm sure the ring-lands were carboned-up and the Marvel dissolved that carbon. Sounds like a familiar situation, hmmmmmmm...:_confused Anybody care to give it a shot? :luck:

I did the same thing on a Chevy V8 with transmission fluid in the carb to clean the top end...run the engine...pour it in....shut it off and let sit overnight...start it up the next day and no bugs for about 2 months from the smoke...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

blacksambo
01/24/2013, 04:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we kinda doing that by blowing Marvel Mystery treated Crankcase oil into the plenum via the PCV?

blacksambo
01/24/2013, 04:08 PM
It would be reasonable to assume that units still running well -- and w/o any lower ring issues -- will be aging to the point where valve seals will seep (especially at start-up). Take a good look out the back window at (cold) start-up. If you see some [light-bluish] smoke, that's probably where your oil is going.

MMO definitely won't help that. Not really convinced these high-mileage oils would provide the "magic" seal conditioner that would help valve seals either. Seems they're more for simple leaky gaskets -- which are better off replaced.

My rear main seal started leaking so I changed to high-mileage Mobil1 with seal conditioner, and low and behold it worked like a charm 15K miles ago. Still going strong.....

blacksambo
01/24/2013, 04:10 PM
Also, you can add Marvel Mystery to your gas and get it into the top of the engine, can't ya?

89Vette
01/24/2013, 05:20 PM
Via PCV or Fuel, It wouldn't have time to "penetrate" the rings. IMO, not the same.

OTOH, I'd have to think a higher concentration of Naptha via "Motor Flush" would be "the same" as an over-night soak.

IIRC, they say you can go a few days/100 miles with light driving....Can't remember for sure. Haven't used the stuff since the 70's.

Ldub
01/24/2013, 07:27 PM
Via PCV or Fuel, It wouldn't have time to "penetrate" the rings. IMO, not the same.

I'd have to agree, since the oil ring is in the bottom groove of the piston, the only time it'll have a chance to see any sea foam, or mmo, would be if added to the crank case.

blacksambo
01/24/2013, 07:37 PM
Good point. Thx

circmand
02/05/2015, 01:38 PM
My main skepticism is there are no directions or claims how it works. Add to oil or gas. Well do you add for a few miles before oil change or add it afterwards and run it the whole time. Depending on strength etc a short time would not be long enough or at high strength would eat through everything

Cable Bob
02/05/2015, 05:02 PM
Maybe that's the Mystery? I've used it since the 80's and it's great stuff. Wouldn't put too much in the gas tank, after all, it is oil. Good for the valves and older engines.

circmand
02/06/2015, 06:14 AM
Maybe that's the Mystery? I've used it since the 80's and it's great stuff. Wouldn't put too much in the gas tank, after all, it is oil. Good for the valves and older engines.

But it is most definately not oil.

Scott Larson
02/06/2015, 07:24 AM
I use MMO in my nitro vehicles as an after-run oil as it keeps the castor oil from gumming up the works and protects against corrosion, but then so does WD-40. It does have lubricating qualities to it but I wouldn't use it as a primary lubricant, that is to say as a the only lubricant in an engine. I am a firm believer in it's ability to free stickey rings when poured into the cylinders and left to sit for a few days.

Cable Bob
02/06/2015, 02:17 PM
When you pour too much in your gas tank it will burn off like oil, blue smoke out the exhaust. I ran it in an old Case Mini Sneaker and it kept it alive beyond it's normal shelf life, it kept the valves from sticking and kept the compression up.

"The product is composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard."

74% Mineral Oil is Oil, may not be motor oil but it is oil.

circmand
02/08/2015, 07:56 AM
When you pour too much in your gas tank it will burn off like oil, blue smoke out the exhaust. I ran it in an old Case Mini Sneaker and it kept it alive beyond it's normal shelf life, it kept the valves from sticking and kept the compression up.

"The product is composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard."

74% Mineral Oil is Oil, may not be motor oil but it is oil.

you are right.