PDA

View Full Version : Need a Little VX Help

VxSport
12/26/2012, 05:38 AM
Well, I would like to show everyone my Xmas present (to myself). Last week I went to Cali to bring this back to Colorado. 2500 mile trip around the weather. I am working on pulling it apart this week. Thanks Kat for all the pics you took and sent to me. This is a former members vehicle too, I think this vehicle has been to the group Moab trip too.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj507/VxSport99/01700003A_zpsbcaacd25.jpg

I am asking our VX community for a show of hands, who has extra parts?

Exterior
Radiator Core Support
Inner Fender Support
Fender (Outer)
Front Bumber Cover
Front Bumper Tube
Rear Bumper Cover
Rear Driver side Marker light
Headlight Rt
Front Pass Marker Light

Suspension
Upper Control Arm right
Steering Knunkle right

Right now I am in the 1 1/2 VX club, however a little hard work and some luck... This will be my ticket to the 2+ club. To those who are figuring it out, yep I have a pair of '99 Ebony Black Vx's.

I will have some extra parts too for others.

Thanks in advance.... for everyone's help and shared excitment in our new project.

VX KAT
12/26/2012, 06:44 AM
A fun project for sure!
Just curious, ever find out what the black coating was on the undercarriage?

VxSport
12/26/2012, 08:14 AM
No, not yet. I am not convinced that the black coating is oil from leaving the fill cap off during engine start up. Which is what the prevoius owner had said. Also the strange wear on the tire, is from driving it after the accident, with the front wheel at angle.

There is always a little bit of investigation, with a project like this.

A fun project for sure!
Just curious, ever find out what the black coating was on the undercarriage?

VX KAT
12/26/2012, 08:21 AM
I agree, since the spray was so uniform and covered so much (if not all) of the undercarriage, and had what appeared to be overspray on the fender liners….:_thinking
I thought I touched it and it felt dry. I recall the guy you bought it from said there was no oil in engine when he received it. I also recall there was no AZ orange dust whatsoever sticking to the black undercarriage….so I thought it had to be relatively "freshly" applied. Hope you get her back on the road! Another one saved! :thumbup:

VxSport
12/26/2012, 08:36 AM
It does have an evident oil leak, I had to add some oil to drive it on the trailer. Engine light is on too. Leak visable under it. All this is the undisclosed problems that I will need to find.

I agree, since the spray was so uniform and covered so much (if not all) of the undercarriage, and had what appeared to be overspray on the fender liners….:_thinking
I thought I touched it and it felt dry. I recall the guy you bought it from said there was no oil in engine when he received it. I also recall there was no AZ orange dust whatsoever sticking to the black undercarriage….so I thought it had to be relatively "freshly" applied. Hope you get her back on the road! Another one saved! :thumbup:

mborodi
12/26/2012, 05:26 PM
you sure it isnt just a bad job someone did trying to rust proof the undercarriage?

VxSport
12/27/2012, 05:09 AM
This is what Kat & I are refering to. The first pic is what the underside usually looks like.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj507/VxSport99/DSCN29032_zps6d00ca60.jpeg

This is what the other side looks like. Along with all the engine comparment & the front suspension. As I was told, the original owner claimed that this is all oil residue from starting the vehicle with the oil fill cap off.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj507/VxSport99/DSC_1697_zpsfce1d796.jpeg

If you look at the bumper bracket you can see one of the lines of coverage. Even after the vx sat for over a year now, it still looks the same.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj507/VxSport99/DSC_1555_zps0593a1a3.jpeg

you sure it isnt just a bad job someone did trying to rust proof the undercarriage?

mborodi
12/27/2012, 07:02 PM
weird.. idk.. still looks like because of the solid black areas that someone attempted to rust proof and ran a few can's short of spray.. wouldn't an oil, from starting without the cap, speckle? I've seen what it can do to the underside of a hood.. ("friend" drove my car from Florida to NH and round about NY forgot to put the cover back on when she topped off the oil.. another 500 miles and a loud rappppp rapppp rappping.. from the bone dry engine.. the engine compartment was spashed with oil, and the under side of the hood.. but the bottom of the car never saw a drop.. centrifugal force? speed? I did the undercarriage on my vx with the rust stop/rust proof black spray, and it looks exactly like those pic's.. with the exception that I used 6 cans.. to get a full even coat.

VxSport
01/11/2013, 08:41 AM
Update...... Some of the mystries have been solved. The tire (front pass) was worn at angle.... The vx was driven after the accident, with the wheel bent at slight angle.
The 2nd was the underside. I have found that in the accident the corner of the battery tray punched a hole in the valve cover. I suspect that the residue is all oilly soot from the engine hole. All the residue is under and around the front corner.
Once again the vehicle was driven after the accident with a hole in the valve cover throwing oil.

VX KAT
01/11/2013, 10:41 AM
Update...... Some of the mystries have been solved. The tire (front pass) was worn at angle.... The vx was driven after the accident, with the wheel bent at slight angle.
The 2nd was the underside. I have found that in the accident the corner of the battery tray punched a hole in the valve cover. I suspect that the residue is all oilly soot from the engine hole. All the residue is under and around the front corner.
Once again the vehicle was driven after the accident with a hole in the valve cover throwing oil.

So you think all the black stuff is oil spray residue?
I took Pic #2 from driver's side looking toward passenger side, approximately under the driver door. Wonder how all those areas facing outward or to the rear, got so uniformly covered from a leak on passenger side valve cover??? :_thinking Weird huh!

VxSport
01/11/2013, 02:37 PM
Time will tell more when I start digging deeper into project. I still am expecting to find another problem or two. knock on wood... Lol