PDA

View Full Version : European guy dreaming at a VX --- some Questions

badsykes
12/23/2012, 05:24 AM
Hello
I am european and currently own an Opel Frontera 2.0i petrol Sport (Isuzu Amigo in US)...I am in love with VX and currently i have no money to get it but i am come and go on this forum and looking at......pictures...
My current car have runned around 107000km and i may change it at some point...Either i am buying another 2.0i but from 98 instead 96 (that i have now) or i will take a bigger risk an VX...VX is for me like some teen dream about Ferraries...
In europe high capacity are not loved by authorities..A 3.5 litres engine get big taxes..
I read this thread dated from 2005 about fuel consumption:

"Fuel consumption Elric Archives 13" started by Elric but still i have a couple of questions...

With my opel frontera 2.0i petrol i drive on highway between 55mph and 65mph because of the big consumption after 65mph (is written in the car manual)...
And now the questions:
1. Which is the most economical speed and how much mpg would i get if drive all time on Highway with 55mph?

2. In the city is there any way to reduce the fuel consumption even further ?
(with frontera i get around 18 mpg or 13 L/100km in the city)
3. Did anyone tried octane booster products in the 3.5l engine ? Did you guys got any increase in mileage by using this products?
example: Millers Petrol Power Economax 500ml (UK stuff)

4. In Europe there will be a problem with parts.Is the car reliable if the owner treat her well ? I am putting high quality oils in my frontera so i don't mind getting what's best for her..Also i am going offroad but if i don't hit rocks to bend something are there will be any big mechanical failures with direction, gear box, etc ?
5. Can i put Manual Free Wheel Hubs (AVM's) on the VX even if the model wasn't made with them in mind ? I want to get better fuel consumtion and less wearing..On the Avm oficial website the vehicross is not listed in the Isuzu section..

6.I read this on wikipedia about vehicross:
"The Japanese version offered a 2WD non TOD or 4WD TOD option. The US-only constant 4WD TOD, with 12 independent sensors for detecting wheel spin and capable of redirecting power to the wheels with the most traction, gives the VehiCROSS a high level of traction on wet and icy roads."

One of the Japanese version is a part time 4x4 or is just a 2wd car without 4x4? I would get the japanesse version but the problem is that the steering wheel in my country is on the left..The conversion would be kinda complicated :(

Thank you
regards,
Catalin

Y33TREKker
12/23/2012, 05:58 AM
...I read this thread dated from 2005 about fuel consumption:

"Fuel consumption Elric Archives 13" started by Elric but still i have a couple of questions...

With my opel frontera 2.0i petrol i drive on highway between 55mph and 65mph because of the big consumption after 65mph (is written in the car manual)...
And now the questions:
1. Which is the most economical speed and how much mpg would i get if drive all time on Highway with 55mph?
2. In the city is there any way to reduce the fuel consumption even further ?
(with frontera i get around 18 mpg or 13 L/100km in the city)
Given how my VX drives when traveling 55 to 60 mph, I'd say driving yours at the same speeds would yield the best mileage too, and it would likely be the same as what you achieve with your Frontera both on the highway and in the city.

3. Did anyone tried octane booster products in the 3.5l engine ? Did you guys got any increase in mileage by using this products?
example: Millers Petrol Power Economax 500ml (UK stuff)
I've personally never tried octane boosters in my VX, but I do know that while 87 octane (US rating) is adequate for my VX, it does run a little better on 89, and since it seems most European fuel is higher in octane across the board, yours would likely react the same too.

4. In Europe there will be a problem with parts.Is the car reliable if the owner treat her well ? I am putting high quality oils in my frontera so i don't mind getting what's best for her..Also i am going offroad but if i don't hit rocks to bend something are there will be any big mechanical failures with direction, gear box, etc ?
As with any vehicle...stuff happens...and individual results may vary depending on operator. :bgwo:

5. Can i put Manual Free Wheel Hubs (AVM's) on the VX even if the model wasn't made with them in mind ? I want to get better fuel consumtion and less wearing..On the Avm oficial website the vehicross is not listed in the Isuzu section..
Pretty sure some have done it, so with the right parts it does seem possible.

6.I read this on wikipedia about vehicross:
"The Japanese version offered a 2WD non TOD or 4WD TOD option. The US-only constant 4WD TOD, with 12 independent sensors for detecting wheel spin and capable of redirecting power to the wheels with the most traction, gives the VehiCROSS a high level of traction on wet and icy roads."

One of the Japanese version is a part time 4x4 or is just a 2wd car without 4x4? I would get the japanesse version but the problem is that the steering wheel in my country is on the left..The conversion would be kinda complicated :(

Thank you
regards,
Catalin
Not sure about the Japanese versions, but I'm fairly certain that the European versions offered a TOD cutout switch for switching into two-wheel operation. It sounds like that would be your best option since converting a right-hand-drive to left-hand-drive would be cost prohibitive...to say the least.

Happy hunting Catalin. With a little time and patience, you'll find the right one. :yesgray:

badsykes
12/23/2012, 06:41 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicross

This car was never meant for European market.Asia or US were the only markets..Is very very rare here in European..Is either imported from US or from Asia ...I saw more from US in europe i think...
Thank you Y33TREKker

Makocross
12/23/2012, 06:54 AM
Catalin
I am a hyper miler. I feel bad if I don't get at least 72 mpg on a full tank. Too bad it is not on my vehicross. I have a 2000 Honda Insight. I use all of my hyper mileing skills on the vehicross(easy acceleration, no cruise control, steady foot work, optimum mpg speeds and little use of the brakes) and use a ultra gauge calibrated to the larger 22" wheels. I live in Florida which is flat and in the winter I don't have use the AC. I can get 20 to 21 mpg over a couple of hundred miles. Normally I get 17 to 18. When you go from a 1 liter car to a 3.5 liter your right foot has this uncontrollable action to go fast and listen to the Magnaflow exhaust. What I am saying is don't buy a vehicross and expect good gas mileage, buy it because it is one of the coolest vehicles in the world.
Mike

badsykes
12/23/2012, 10:05 AM
Hey Mike...
My parents have a VW Passat 1.9 diesel engine and is a car for highways..When i drive it i still drive drive like a Frontera...Up to 100km/h or 65mph...I am not a speed guy type..My freedom come when i am on offroad. :) ...I am pretty confident that on usual roads you can give an Mercedes coupe AMG and still not speeding with it but i will throw it next day and get my off road car back...Mercedes G class on the other hand i may actually keep it :D
Still waiting for more input to get a more ideas on what will i expect... :)

tom4bren
12/26/2012, 07:27 AM
Catalin,

Yes, you can put manual hubs on the front of a VehiCross. I have them on mine. It's a very simple modification. Unfortunately it makes very little difference on fuel consumption. I only have them on mine so that I can tow it behind my RV.

With very careful use of the skinny pedal, you MAY be able to get close to 20mpg but there's no way to get any better with the stock setup.

If you have wrenching skills, converting a VehiCross to a diesel engine would be a very nice option for you. I do not recall anyone attempting it yet though so you'd have to figure it all out as you go.

Tom

Maddawg
12/26/2012, 02:32 PM
If you love the VX, fuel mileage shouldn't even be considered. Just buy it and enjoy it. You only live once.

badsykes
12/27/2012, 08:12 AM
tom4bren
What manual hubs fits on your VX..If they are AVM wich kit number ? On my Frontera the manual hubs makes the steering more lighter...

Maddawg: the problem is if it takes too much fuel is like getting a portelan object to look at it and not touching it.If the consumption is 20 mpg is a good compromise for me..

Maddawg
12/27/2012, 08:40 AM
Doubt if I get 15, probably more like 12 mph around town. Don't care, I love it.

tom4bren
12/27/2012, 09:29 AM
Here's one thread where a guy has some available.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22612&highlight=hubs

& another:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16488&highlight=towing+vx

My hubs are the ones that Travelin2 used to run on his rig. He sold them to me when he traded in the VX. They are WARN but I don't know the model #.

badsykes
12/27/2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the info tom4brem on manual hubs..

tom4bren
12/27/2012, 11:26 AM
One more thread on the subject (with an added bonus: a source for ordering them ... if they don't do overseas delivery, I can handle that for you).

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20501

badsykes
12/28/2012, 12:23 AM
tom4bren:
thx for info and for help.In this moment i am in no position for buying the VX now because of money but i may ask for help in buying manual hubs for my current vehicle sometime in the future (hope in a couple of months) ...Also if i ever buy the VX i would need help from someone with VX experience check the car mecahnically and estetically for me before going on the ship and transfering here..Also is imperative that someone from US help me with parts..I do recognize that am a little scared about the 3.5l design flaw that kills the engine..

evillecutter
12/28/2012, 10:41 AM
tom4bren:
thx for info and for help.In this moment i am in no position for buying the VX now because of money but i may ask for help in buying manual hubs for my current vehicle sometime in the future (hope in a couple of months) ...Also if i ever buy the VX i would need help from someone with VX experience check the car mecahnically and estetically for me before going on the ship and transfering here..Also is imperative that someone from US help me with parts..I do recognize that am a little scared about the 3.5l design flaw that kills the engine..

if you can afford oil and can lift the hood to check it every few days you should be fine - or be one of the lucky 5% of us who has a vx that uses no extra oil

Maddawg
12/28/2012, 11:13 AM
tom4bren:
I do recognize that am a little scared about the 3.5l design flaw that kills the engine..

What design flaw are you referring to??

evillecutter
12/28/2012, 11:41 AM
What design flaw are you referring to??

oil burn is the only recurring problem i know of i thought that was what he was referring to - wouldnt be the first time i was wrong though

Maddawg
12/28/2012, 02:02 PM
oil burn is the only recurring problem i know of i thought that was what he was referring to - wouldnt be the first time i was wrong though

Me either. Not sure what he meant ? :confused:

badsykes
12/29/2012, 02:39 AM
I read this thread ...
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=3756

The 3.2l engine is reliable but the 3.5l seems not so..
If i just need to put and check oil regulary i don't mind but i dont like the fact that many 3.5l engines failed with very expensive costs for repairs..I already check oil for my Frontera after offroad trips..

Maddawg
12/29/2012, 09:34 AM
My 3.5L is at 83,000 miles, no issues yet aside from the usual maintainance. (knock on wood, lol)

Mile High VX
12/29/2012, 11:26 AM
96,000 here and no issues, but great maintenance from all POs...going to need to do the timing belt and water pump this summer...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

evillecutter
01/02/2013, 07:20 AM
115K on mine runs better than any other v6 ive owned (aside from the oil issue)

Maddawg
01/02/2013, 08:09 AM
115K on mine runs better than any other v6 ive owned (aside from the oil issue)

How much oil are you using, if you don't mind? Is that common around here?

badsykes
01/02/2013, 08:56 AM
having the 3.2l engine has two advantages for me:

1. reliable
2. I can find parts in Europe for it because it was installed on the Frontera 3.2 v6

evillecutter
01/02/2013, 09:41 AM
How much oil are you using, if you don't mind? Is that common around here?

i use at least a quart for every 1k miles and i change my oil about every 2k miles because it always looks like it needs it - filter every two changes - seems to be a commom problem there are a few different threads about it on this site - something to do with the pistons not having enough drain holes for the oil to circulate so it gets vaporized and goes out the exhaust - i believe the 3.5l is the same motor on the outside as the 3.2l just bigger pistons for more horsepower and torque - obviously the engineers didnt do near enough testing on the 3.5l - i think quite a few people might have blown their motors thinking the vx was invincible or from not checking the oil and gave the 3.5l a bad name but other then the oil problem i havent found any issues that i wouldnt have on any 13 year old used v6

Maddawg
01/02/2013, 09:58 AM
i use at least a quart for every 1k miles and i change my oil about every 2k miles because it always looks like it needs it - filter every two changes - seems to be a commom problem there are a few different threads about it on this site - something to do with the pistons not having enough drain holes for the oil to circulate so it gets vaporized and goes out the exhaust - i believe the 3.5l is the same motor on the outside as the 3.2l just bigger pistons for more horsepower and torque - obviously the engineers didnt do near enough testing on the 3.5l - i think quite a few people might have blown their motors thinking the vx was invincible or from not checking the oil and gave the 3.5l a bad name but other then the oil problem i havent found any issues that i wouldnt have on any 13 year old used v6

That's interesting. Thanks Eville, My VX uses exactly the same oil amount every 1000 mi. I just set the odometer to 0 and check it again at 999. I was thinking maybe it was valve guides, because I don't see any evidence of smoke, but I do get a black residue on my exhast pipe tip.
My 2002 Axiom has the same engine but I don't get any oil usage between changes, but its only got 30,000 mi. on it so far. Is it something that developed over time with the VX or was it evident from the beginning?

evillecutter
01/02/2013, 10:08 AM
i get no white smoke either - apparently its not burning oil it just "uses" it and from what ive read on here there is a difference - even though i dont wish for anyone to have the oil issue its oddly comforting to know someone else is in my same boat - with your axiom i think they might have fixed the problem by drilling extra holes for the oil to drain through in the pistons - they have rebuild kits that members have used (y33treker maybe?) with the new pistons and whatnot and i believe some newer 3.5ls like your axiom have a good chance to have the version with the problem fixed

Maddawg
01/02/2013, 11:00 AM
i get no white smoke either - apparently its not burning oil it just "uses" it and from what ive read on here there is a difference - even though i dont wish for anyone to have the oil issue its oddly comforting to know someone else is in my same boat - with your axiom i think they might have fixed the problem by drilling extra holes for the oil to drain through in the pistons - they have rebuild kits that members have used (y33treker maybe?) with the new pistons and whatnot and i believe some newer 3.5ls like your axiom have a good chance to have the version with the problem fixed

Alrighty then! IMO, I think I'll not mess with it, oil's cheaper than pistons, lol. I did notice that the last time I checked at 1000 miles it was only (only, lol) a 1/2 quart lower than usual. Hallejulah, it healing itself!! :p