PDA

View Full Version : 5-speed manual w/TOD in VX!!!

BigMeatVX
10/23/2003, 08:58 PM
Finally, after months of beleiving what I've read here and on other Isuzu sites, about the "integral" trannys, and TOD,
I'm about to prove them all wrong....
There is a tranny that will bolt to the TOD transfer case, after all!!!
(with very minor mods)

It is the AR-5 based 5-speed in the 98+ Troopers!

http://www.media.gm.com/division/gmc/canyon_launch_082103/transmission.html

It is a MARRIED stlyle NON-INTEGERAL!!!!
and after carefully measuring both bolt patterns on the back of the trannys (manual & auto) , I have come to the conclusion that this is a NICE fit!
One stud must be removed and possible clearancing of the TOD shifter a bit may be required....6 of the 8 bolt holes line right up!!!! and the splines are the same!!!!even the alighnment pins are in the same places exactly!!!!

I have already put a deposite down on a the tranny and the other parts I will need....like a computer out of a 3.5 manual tranny troper, and clutch pedal assem. flywheel and clutch kit...

I will keep you all infomed on the progress;Dr;

Allan
99 VX on 36"ers

Joe_Black
10/23/2003, 09:14 PM
Wow, sounds like a very cool project. Very interested in hearing how the TOD computer handles the loading from the manual and what kind of feedback you get from it through the tranny. Keep us posted!

Cyrk
10/24/2003, 06:28 AM
SWEET! keep us posted... if this works well I might just have to do the same!

-Dave

WormGod
10/24/2003, 07:36 AM
Sounds tempting Meat. Keep us updated. Hate to use you as the guinea pig, but you took the leap, heh. Hope it works out.... cause I miss manual. :(

vx69
10/24/2003, 09:33 AM
but what about it being only rated for 230 lb-ft. our vehicle almost makes that in stock form, with a new intake, and exaust we are probably making 220 or 225? Do you know of any ways that the torque rating could be improved?

BigMeatVX
10/24/2003, 10:51 AM
The Trooper one has slightly different ratios inside...
So i am thinking it has a different torque rating than the one listed for the Colorado...
Can't say for sure though...
3 syncro rings, though, are used on very few other trannys
Like the Tremec T-56
will add to the strength and durablility

Allan

BlackVX
10/24/2003, 02:30 PM
That would be a miracle just like the 6 million dollar man! Speaking of that... how much you think it will cost for the whole thing?

Thanks,

Michael

Dallas4u
10/24/2003, 04:10 PM
VERY INTERESTING PROJECT! Good luck, and I hope you can get all the parts to play nice with each other!

Green Dragon
10/25/2003, 08:58 AM
Some more info that might be of some interest.

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/trooper/AuroraSwap.html

Dragon Bob;Db;