PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for Chivo Falls

Apostle
10/23/2003, 08:02 PM
ok, question, how well do stock street tires work on the VX for off roading?

might arent really stock, they were purchased before the old owner sold it. They are new, and have some nubs, but mainly looks like a street tire.

from looking at pics, i see moncha has what appears to be street tires.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1598&size=big&papass=&sort=4

Moncha, how well did these handle in the mud/snow?

Dont want to be stuck in the mud on my first meet.

Heraclid
10/23/2003, 08:20 PM
I believe those tires in the pic are Duelers like the stock tire. Joe Black ran the stock Duelers at Ocala and Uwharrie, and I ran them at Ocala. Ocala had deep mudholes and deep fine sand, and Uwharrie had a lot of mud and some rocky/gravelly terrain, and we did fine with 'em. Some mud tires or good all-around all-terrains will help, but the stock tires do better than you might expect.

webdog
10/23/2003, 09:32 PM
Those stock tires get real scarry in the snow and ice. I never ran them in mud, as I got rid of them fast after my snow fun. I run ATs most of the time, but have snow tires for the ice and Mudders for the back country. Air down for mud/snow or true off road.:D

VXcaver
10/24/2003, 06:51 AM
;Dr; Apostle-- unless it rains, no one will be getting stuck on this trip! ;Dr;

I use a less-than-spectacular BFG all terrain tire, 265s, slightly larger than stock but not special... and they work just fine on the Chivo Falls trails. The more difficult obstacles have bypasses.

Clearance is a little more important than tires, in my opinion. The same damn rock has **clonked** my oil pan twice now!

Be sure to let us know if we can help arrange a place to stay on Friday night.

Triathlete
10/26/2003, 03:32 PM
Apostle,
Glad to hear that you are coming down our way. Like VXCAVER said, stock tires are fine. That rock thing can be fixed too...just got to look out for them and avoid them;Dy; . Victor (VCAMILO) has worn out road tires/stock height that he has used on all our trips and he has had no problems (though he tells me new tires are in the near future). He usually follows me up the harder stuff (hes a little crazy like that) ;eekr; . As far as snow, unless its on the road on your way here you won't run into any on this trip (hopefully ma' nature won't pull some surprise out of her sleeve and make me eat my words). We were having 95 temps up till today. Fall finally hit and it dropped down to a bone chilling 86:flame2: !Also like VXCAVER said if we can do anything to help let us know!
Now where are those Californians?

Apostle
10/26/2003, 06:24 PM
thanks, so far its a go, will send you all emails when the time gets closer for accurate directions and sugestions on a place to stay friday

VCAMILO
10/28/2003, 10:23 AM
You better believe it Apostle. Im crazy like that with my VX! :( Im sad that I wont be able to make it because of a wedding in Chicago. ARG! ;Db; You know I will be waiting for my pics guys!