PDA

View Full Version : Help with replacing Brake Lines

frankd14321
12/08/2012, 03:53 PM
Hello everyone,

So I need help with replacing my front and rear Brake lines. I have attached a photo of the fronts... I have the brake line 10mm wrench that Rickshaw said you had to get. And I can disconnect the nut from the line. But the line is still locked in place.. My question now is How do I remove the OEM lines? Is there a clip holding it in place? And if so, can someone tell me how to get it off and where it is?

Thank you so much, I know this shouldn't be hard but i'm stumped right now. Putting on the new brake lines isn't the issue, its just removing the old ones.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://photobylucien.com/brakelinevv.jpg

Triathlete
12/08/2012, 04:21 PM
Should just pull straight out. Might be tight due to grime time, rust etc.

Ldub
12/08/2012, 06:41 PM
About 1/4" below the bottom of your red line is a flat piece of metal that's nearly square...look at it closely, it should be roughly "U" shaped, & slide towards the camera to be removed...:_wrench:

frankd14321
12/08/2012, 06:59 PM
About 1/4" below the bottom of your red line is a flat piece of metal that's nearly square...look at it closely, it should be roughly "U" shaped, & slide towards the camera to be removed...:_wrench:

Thank you!!!! After looking at the photo and having the flash make it much easier to see, I was thinking that was it!!! I will try tomorrow!!!

frankd14321
12/09/2012, 11:05 AM
Thank you again, Dub! I got the backs done really quick and easy since I knew there was a clip there.. In a couple weeks i'll do the fronts when i'm in there doing the shocks.

Ldub
12/09/2012, 11:35 AM
Thank you again, Dub! I got the backs done really quick and easy since I knew there was a clip there.. In a couple weeks i'll do the fronts when i'm in there doing the shocks.

No worries Bud...:thumbup:

The best part of any forum experience, is helping out the virtual Fam...:yesgray:

rowhard
12/09/2012, 12:01 PM
Look at the replacement lines, you should notice ridges running the length of the line. These are to let you know if you have the line in a twist or not causing undue tension in the line. That is usually the cause of brake line blowouts on replacement lines.

tom4bren
12/10/2012, 07:41 AM
This is one job where PB Blaster can really be your friend. When I was putting SS brakelines on Boy's Samurai, the nut wouldn't turn on the hard line & ended up shearing it off. Luckly I had a pipe flairing tool & was able to salvage the line. The nut was so corroded to the line that I had to basically cut the tube to get it out.