PDA

View Full Version : fan dont work

givegodachance
12/08/2012, 08:41 AM
im in the garage trying to figure out why my dash fan dont work. A couple weeks ago it did this once but the next day it worked. Now it has been a week and nothing. I dont have a fusebox diagram to see what fuse i need to check but i foiund a map on here and there isnt a fuse for it there. After changing to possible relays, nothing. Now i dont know what else to check, any ideas?

Triathlete
12/08/2012, 08:58 AM
Are you speaking of the heater/ac fan? If so there is a relay on the side of the fan that often goes out. I just replaced my second one. They are easy to replace...remove the glove box and cross piece, then a plug and 3 screws. Got mine at BAP automotive for about $55.
When you pull it it is easy to tell if its bad...the copper connecting strip on one side will be disconnected.

givegodachance
12/08/2012, 09:05 AM
Are you speaking of the heater/ac fan? If so there is a relay on the side of the fan that often goes out. I just replaced my second one. They are easy to replace...remove the glove box and cross piece, then a plug and 3 screws. Got mine at BAP automotive for about $55.
When you pull it it is easy to tell if its bad...the copper connecting strip on one side will be disconnected.

awesome man, thanks. I have been waiting for some help so i started doiing other things to the vx so i guess its a good thing.

givegodachance
12/08/2012, 09:37 AM

not sure what i pulled out but it didnt look like a relay. I dont know how to put pictures on here so i cant show you but it looked more like something for the temp. It had to screws and was shaped like a rectangle and hollow in the middle.

Scott Harness
12/08/2012, 10:17 AM
Mine does that every now and then.I move the temp switch back and forth and it starts working:confused:

Ldub
12/08/2012, 11:02 AM
Mine does that every now and then.I move the temp switch back and forth and it starts working:confused:

Same here, it'll stop for no apparent reason.

I move the selector (heat/A-C/defrost) back & forth & it'll usually start back up again...:thumbup:

VX KAT
12/08/2012, 11:11 AM
I dont know how to put pictures on here so i cant show you

HOW TO UPLOAD PICS TO YOUR GALLERY:

Click on "Gallery" from the top banner along the top
Then click "Gallery Links", also along top banner
Find "Upload Photos" from drop down box
Next screen will show where you can attach up to 5 pics from your gallery
Look for "Choose file", click and then find the pic on your computer
After you've selected up to 5, scroll down and click button "Upload/Submit". It may take a minute or so.
After it uploads, a screen showing the pics you've just uploaded will appear.
Here you can add text or a title to each pic.
Click SUBMIT button

HOW TO ATTACH THEM TO A POST:

Start a post
On right side you'll see a small gray box titled "My pics"
Click "Open"
Find the pics in your Gallery and click "Upload"
Can add up to 20 pics in a single post
Once attached in the body of the post, hit the RETURN/ENTER key after each one so there's a space between each pic.

givegodachance
12/08/2012, 11:49 AM
Ok I got the pic uploaded but can't see the gray box that says my pics.

Triathlete
12/08/2012, 12:26 PM
not sure what i pulled out but it didnt look like a relay. I dont know how to put pictures on here so i cant show you but it looked more like something for the temp. It had to screws and was shaped like a rectangle and hollow in the middle.

Thats it.

Scott Harness
12/09/2012, 03:31 AM
Same here, it'll stop for no apparent reason.

I move the selector (heat/A-C/defrost) back & forth & it'll usually start back up again...:thumbup:

It is selector switch NOT temp:bgwb:

johnnyapollo
12/09/2012, 06:01 AM

I looked at your photo and what you've got pulled is the Fan Resistor and not a relay. The resistor measures the flow of air across the air box and then adjusts the fans speed. If this is bad the fan won't turn on. Note that it could be your fan motor is bad.

-- John

Triathlete
12/09/2012, 07:15 AM
Yes...resistor not relay...my bad :)

givegodachance
12/09/2012, 10:30 AM
ok thanks guys. i didnt think it was a relay but if he said it was and he changed it, ill buy that cauise i didnt know what a resistor is. Thanks Johnny.

givegodachance
12/10/2012, 03:02 AM
But is there a way to know what one is bad???

johnnyapollo
12/10/2012, 03:16 AM
If you're electricly capable, you can do a check using a test meter. If you look at the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (available from this site in the Download section) there's a chart. Or if you're reasonably skilled with cars you can unplug the fan motor and apply power/ground to see if it spins up. If the motor doesn't spin that's probably it - otherwise it's probably the resistor.

-- John

givegodachance
12/10/2012, 06:39 AM
I'm pretty good at figuring out things but I had no idea on how to check a resistor. Ill get on the fan and see what happens. Thanks johnny