PDA

View Full Version : Insurance value for total loss

MIDN USNA
12/06/2012, 05:33 PM
I had a young girl rear end me while texting a couple of weeks ago. Ver very minor wreck but they did the ABS diagnostics and about laughed at me. They gave me $3900 for the repairs before the diag, now that they found out the sensor is like $3300 installed they consider it a total loss. As i said the wreck is very minor and I intend to repair it but have no idea what to bargain with. KBB and NADA show something around 6k for an average private party VX. I might be a victim of wishful thinking but I think this car may be worth something some day. People still stare as I drive by and this car is way more capable that my wrangler I had before. Help me save her!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mile High VX
12/06/2012, 05:50 PM
You can get that ABS sensor rebuilt for about $100!

This issue has come up before and I'm sure the fam will chime shortly.

Hang in there...

VX KAT
12/06/2012, 06:20 PM
You can get that ABS sensor rebuilt for about $100!

This issue has come up before and I'm sure the fam will chime shortly.

Hang in there...

MH I think you might mean ABS control module......the ABS sensors at each wheel are around $475 each, but the module is $2,644 when I priced one last month on Merlin's site.

I just got my rebuilt module back today from this ebay guy, paid $77.22 plus shipping on way and a lifetime warranty! Heck I'd be happy to pay another $77 if I need it rebuilt again!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110784352777?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

1) Here's a REALLY thorough thread that can give you some tips on what you're going through. vt_maverick got totalled by a drunk driver last October. He details how he worked with his insurer to appropriately value his truck's value as his WAS actually totalled, but there's
also some discussions from others about how to try to prevent your insurer from declaring it totalled.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21275&highlight=drunk

2) This guy had a phenomenal insurance company claims person who really worked with him to not be declared totalled. Ala5ka even tracked down some of his own parts to make it easier to convince the insurance company to not total it.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22026&highlight=mirror

3) Another thread
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22337&highlight=drunk+driver+GEICO

Good luck, it's usually possible basd on what I've read posted here by several owners. This was just the 3 I could recall.

evillecutter
12/07/2012, 06:10 AM
get the money buy another then buy back yours from the insurance company if you have the means

tysamigo
12/07/2012, 06:34 AM
I was in the same position where the vehicle had to be totaled.
The accident was the other person's fault and the other person's insurance company (state farm) in Jan 2011 first attempted to fix everything and they did a great job and spent several thousands of dollars on body work. Then they noticed the ABS control module didn't work and the cost of it and some other mechanical problems and decided to total the vehicle because of the amount of money it would cost to have the repairs done by my local a isuzu dealer.

They gave me $10,500 check at that point and closed the case. I formed a bit of a relationship with the State Farm rep who helped me because our case was so complicated due to the unique rareness of my vehicle. To help me get more money because the original amount they were going to give me was about 7k, I forget all of the details by now however She told me that I have the choice of which authorized company will do an estimated value on my truck. She then said may I give you some advice, She said I can give you the number of someone who would contact junk yards that know the junkyard value of this vehicle for parting out and we can use that figure in our estimate that would increase the amount of money you would get for your totaled vx. I was amazed! That is when my check increased!

Sincwe then I have a completely restored everything to like new condition including replacing the motor. And of course releasing the salvage title so that it is once again legal. The last thing that I was going to do was to abandon my VX. Of course I will own and drive many other vehicles in my lifetime however the VX will always be in my family and passed down To the next generation. It is part of who I am now :)

evillecutter
12/07/2012, 06:41 AM
I was in the same position where the vehicle had to be totaled.
The accident was the other person's fault and the other person's insurance company (state farm) in Jan 2011 first attempted to fix everything and they did a great job and spent several thousands of dollars on body work. Then they noticed the ABS control module didn't work and the cost of it and some other mechanical problems and decided to total the vehicle because of the amount of money it would cost to have the repairs done by my local a isuzu dealer.

They gave me $10,500 check at that point and closed the case. I formed a bit of a relationship with the State Farm rep who helped me because our case was so complicated due to the unique rareness of my vehicle. To help me get more money because the original amount they were going to give me was about 7k, I forget all of the details by now however She told me that I have the choice of which authorized company will do an estimated value on my truck. She then said may I give you some advice, She said I can give you the number of someone who would contact junk yards that know the junkyard value of this vehicle for parting out and we can use that figure in our estimate that would increase the amount of money you would get for your totaled vx. I was amazed! That is when my check increased!

Sincwe then I have a completely restored everything to like new condition including replacing the motor. And of course releasing the salvage title so that it is once again legal. The last thing that I was going to do was to abandon my VX. Of course I will own and drive many other vehicles in my lifetime however the VX will always be in my family and passed down To the next generation. It is part of who I am now :)

so they fixed everything except the abs, gave you a check for $10k, and let you buy it back? awesome! how much did they let you buy it back for if you dont mind me asking?

tysamigo
12/07/2012, 07:11 AM
so they fixed everything except the abs, gave you a check for $10k, and let you buy it back? awesome! how much did they let you buy it back for if you dont mind me asking?

I bought it back for the low end value of around $7k, used the difference of about $3k to replace the motor

MIDN USNA
12/11/2012, 12:04 PM
Ok, the final value AAA said was right at 7500. would cost me $1600 to get it back and $1800 to get it fixed cosmetically and they provide a renta for one week. 130k miles normal condition. said they found several for the price around $6500, one in dallas, colorado, and maryland. I told them bs, but is this what i should settle for??? I gave them the whole foxfire, cf scoop, and running boards speech and they said it was merely an emotional value im putting on it.

tom4bren
12/11/2012, 12:10 PM
Are the ones they found available foxfire?

The CF insert & the running boards are aftermarket add ons that they must pay you for (above the list price for the basic vehicle) if they are going to total it.

Sounds like it's time to find an attorney.

Go find vt_maverick's thread on when his was totalled, print it out & take it with you to your attorney (but don't show it to their adjuster unless your attorney tells you to).

VXorado
12/11/2012, 02:12 PM
Ok, the final value AAA said was right at 7500. would cost me $1600 to get it back and $1800 to get it fixed cosmetically and they provide a renta for one week. 130k miles normal condition. said they found several for the price around $6500, one in dallas, colorado, and maryland. I told them bs, but is this what i should settle for??? I gave them the whole foxfire, cf scoop, and running boards speech and they said it was merely an emotional value im putting on it.

Well you said the KBB value was around $6k and they're offering you $5900 to keep the VX. My opinion is fix the VX and pocket $4100. :winkb:

It's a bummer you lost the clean title but doesn't seem like a bad deal considering the circumstances.

VX KAT
12/11/2012, 03:45 PM
1) Here's a REALLY thorough thread that can give you some tips on what you're going through. vt_maverick got totalled by a drunk driver last October. He details how he worked with his insurer to appropriately value his truck's value as his WAS actually totalled, but there's
also some discussions from others about how to try to prevent your insurer from declaring it totalled.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21275&highlight=drunk

Go find vt_maverick's thread on when his was totalled, print it out & take it with you to your attorney (but don't show it to their adjuster unless your attorney tells you to).

I gave it to him above.....::_confused

tom4bren
12/12/2012, 05:17 AM
I gave it to him above.....::_confused

What's your point??? t4b is easily corrected by a woman??? Trust me girlie ... I'm used to it!!! That correction doesn't even rate one of these: :slap:

But I will give you one of these: :flower:

VX KAT
12/12/2012, 09:27 PM
What's your point??? t4b is easily corrected by a woman??? Trust me girlie ... I'm used to it!!! That correction doesn't even rate one of these: :slap:

But I will give you one of these: :flower:

thanks, I love the flowers :p....but I was actually pointing out to OP that there was some good info to help him, already posted ....and you just pointed out the same good info....(great minds....or something like that).

tom4bren
12/13/2012, 04:45 AM
... great minds ...

... run amok!!!