PDA

View Full Version : Sound System Question

disasterlady
12/03/2012, 11:29 AM
Hi all, so the mice ate my 4 inch speakers in the back ( I DID finally figure out how they were getting in and did a major clean out & mod ).

So here's the thing... I don't have much $$ to invest in this right now, so:

1. anyone know what the OEM speaker wattage or specs are to replace them?

and/or

2. anyone replace with UPGRADED yet without an AMP? and if so... with what and how?

much appreciated, thanks

tom4bren
12/03/2012, 11:41 AM
The good news is that the OEM system isn't pushing a whole lot of power so some lesser expensive speakers should last OK. Sound quality may not be the greatest but will probably not be much different than the OEM speakers (they weren't exactly high end).

The bad news is that it's quite difficult to actually remove the rear panels to get to the speakers to do the replacement ... doable, just difficult. Also, many of the aftermarket speakers of the right dimention end up being deeper so the back of the speaker ends up hitting the metal fender before the mount actually gets to being flush with the mounting surface. Your best bet is to remove one of the OEM speakers & take it with you to the sound shop (or WalMart, or Best Buy, or ...) & have the sales tech recommend which speaker to buy for size & fit. Just don't let them talk you into a better speaker than you can afford.

ojmagg
12/03/2012, 12:32 PM
I just replaced mine w these:

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-6432cf-Performance-Loudspeaker/dp/B0029QI7KI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354566494&sr=8-1&keywords=infinity+speakers+4x6

I had to cut up the brackets a bit to make them fit, but they fit the grill opening in the plastic....

You could always search the interweb for 4 inch round speakers, if you want a direct swap...these look ok:

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P142-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B001P86T1U/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354566681&sr=1-8&keywords=speakers+4inch

LittleBeast
12/03/2012, 01:38 PM
A simple search on this will turn up plenty results. Plenty.

1 example of mine:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14168&highlight=rear+speakers

ojmagg
12/04/2012, 03:44 AM
LB, how well do your plastic triangles (tweeters) stay in place now that you've cut away the plastic mount? Thanks for the trailblazin'...I bought the Infinity 6030's, but am a little gun-shy on cutting up the plastic...what did you use to cut the triangle tweeter covers?

eternal21
12/05/2012, 07:41 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....for a more accurate sound stage, to tell you the truth, I wouldn't put any speakers back there.

evillecutter
12/05/2012, 07:48 AM
i replaced the blown rear speakers with some really nice eclipse speakers and they didnt sound that great so i took them out altogether and ran the wires to a pair of old mtx three way 8" unamplified truck speakers behind the back seat - they dont take up much space at all compared to a sub enclosure, no rediculous wiring for an amp, capacitor, etc., i can move them easily or take them out altogether if i want and they sound really good

plus i painted the speaker grilles proton yellow they look like afterburners when you open the back door

tysamigo
12/05/2012, 10:18 PM
When I first got my VX, I replaced the sound system that the previous owner had. It's just been sitting on my desk for about a year. Everything works great, it's just I wanted a BOOOM in my VX. This Polk Audio set is really nice and cause you're one of the "fam", I'll let it go to you for a hell of a deal... just let me know if you are interested...

To see a little about them:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5-Inch-Vehicle-Speaker/dp/B0000BX8ZN

Here's what I have:

Polk Audo DB6500
but there is an additional tweet, crossover and 2 DV400 speakers for a total of:

2 Main Speakers
2 DB400 Speakers
2 Tweets
2 Crossovers

pbkid
12/06/2012, 06:17 AM
Shameless plug,
Polk audio is absolutely some of the better mid range car audio equipment, you wouldn't be dissapointed...

When I first got my VX, I replaced the sound system that the previous owner had. It's just been sitting on my desk for about a year. Everything works great, it's just I wanted a BOOOM in my VX. This Polk Audio set is really nice and cause you're one of the "fam", I'll let it go to you for a hell of a deal... just let me know if you are interested...

To see a little about them:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5-Inch-Vehicle-Speaker/dp/B0000BX8ZN

Here's what I have:

Polk Audo DB6500
but there is an additional tweet, crossover and 2 DV400 speakers for a total of:

2 Main Speakers
2 DB400 Speakers
2 Tweets
2 Crossovers

disasterlady
12/06/2012, 12:47 PM
Tyler, how much do you want for the set? and it sounds like I would need a little direction as to where each goes as you can see by my thread, I don't know the SPECS of the OEM items.

EVERYONE: I have searched the forum and read all of the POSTS that I could find on this here, but still didn't find OEM specs. I also have torn the side panels out twice before, so I know how to do that... yup a real bear of a job. That's the reason why I am asking about SPECS on the FORUM, so that I don't have to pull it apart UNTIL I have the replacement items.

BigSwede
12/06/2012, 01:26 PM
Crutchfield is a great place to get speakers, they will tell you which ones will fit, and they usually come free with mounts and connectors to plug-n-play with the factory system.

fotomaker
12/06/2012, 02:31 PM
I replaced the stock front speakers that were blown with Polk DXi 6500 components at Best Buy... Probably more than you want to spend... But they sound great with the stock head without additional amplification. Not earth quaking loud. Loud and clear enough for my tastes... Like Pink Floyd and early Genesis.

I am about to replace the blown rears with Polk 650 2 ways... about $ 150.00 INSTALLED at Best Buy. The installer says he can make them fit after reviewing Little Beast's excellent post referenced in #4... Above.

Thanks LB!!!