PDA

View Full Version : Final word intake/cold box?

drdavidr4u
10/22/2003, 02:36 PM
OK guys and gals
I did my homework, searched and read the threads on intakes and cold box fabrications.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has actually come up with/fabricated an efficent cold box(non hack job) to house a typical cone filter for use with a NON supercharged truck ? If so please post links to pics. Where are you bringing the cold air in from?

Anyone think of modifying the stock box or its air intake?

Please excuse my ignorance, but the idea of routing an intake from a cold box to the front beside the radiator seems to me that it could bring in some rain/moisture in a rain storm? would that not be undesirable?

Also...What cone filters/systems would you folks recommend? any besides K&N?

Hotsauce
10/22/2003, 04:29 PM
David:

Did you pull the elbow out yet like I showed you?

John C.

drdavidr4u
10/22/2003, 08:54 PM
Hey, how r u!!!
I have not yet pulled out the elbow because I'm still trying to get the overall picture here. If I pull the elbow then I will be sucking in hot engine compartment air. With all our creative members seems like someone would have fabricated a nice cold box with remote air intake!!! no?

I'm still not happy with my brakes...., but not ready to cut rotors and replace pads.

I ordered the front skid plate...hope I get one!!

replaced the original wipers with anco winter blades...work great in the rain today!! I also rainex'ed the windscreen with great results!!

ordered the van eyes style lens for the back window along with the snap in weathertec wind/rain guards

solved my blind spot with one of those mini convex stick on round mirrors on the upper left corner of the drivers side mirror...works great!!

Found some cool chromed tire valve caps to go with the chrome wheels

Dreaming of an ss exhaust, stainless nurf bars and much more!!
Dave:)

Hotsauce
10/23/2003, 02:49 AM
Actually, no. When you pull the elbow from the front of the airbox you are getting both more air, and cool air from the grill area. Whatever explination you like, the truck goes faster, noticably so.

What have you got to lose? Its reversable easily.

John C.

Amack76
10/23/2003, 07:09 AM
pics?

drdavidr4u
10/23/2003, 11:00 AM
pics of?

totallto
10/25/2003, 07:49 AM
Pics of the pulled elbow.

drdavidr4u
10/26/2003, 05:51 AM
I have not pulled the elbow yet, seems easy enough to do!

I am just going to change out the whole airbox for a cone filter and see how she runs.

My brotherinlaw who is a huge car buff, (built out his 300zx and M6BMW tells me that the cold box with a free flow air filter would be optimal, but he feels that just the cone would be good enough and the hot engine compartment air will not kill off much of the benefit/increase the cone will offer.