PDA

View Full Version : ABS...Is this the beginning of the end

Mile High VX
12/01/2012, 06:38 PM
So on my way home today from a short errand my ABS light came on at the end of my driveway. I immediately thought...Noooooooooooo!

Turned the VX off and restarted...still on. Turned it off and restarted...went off as usual...Whew!

Left for an errand this evening and it's on again...turned it off at a red light and restarted...went out.

Started it after about an hour and a half at Church and it did not come on.

I tried to use the search function to see if this issue had been discussed but couldn't find anything.

Thoughts on this issue are appreciated.

Scott Larson
12/01/2012, 06:45 PM
It's definetely not the end of the world, those who've lost it claim they like it better without. I realize though it's the thought of no longer having something you used to have and somehow feeling your VX is no longer "perfect"...My day is most likely coming, I've got two that still have functioning ABS! Fingers crossed...

vt_maverick
12/01/2012, 07:19 PM
Send it to the eBay place, it's dirt cheap (compared to replacing) and works great!

VX KAT
12/01/2012, 07:26 PM
I have a unit at the ebay guy's shop right now, so does Tysamigo.
I can't wait to hear how Tyler's goes as he's actually going to install it. I don't have the ABS light (yet) so I'm not installing it. I'm selling it when I receive it. Anybody interested? $77 bucks and life time warranty, what's not to love?

VxSport
12/01/2012, 07:39 PM
I may be interested in it when you get it back, thanks sue for my current shipment....

I have a unit at the ebay guy's shop right now, so does Tysamigo.
I can't wait to hear how Tyler's goes as he's actually going to install it. I don't have the ABS light (yet) so I'm not installing it. I'm selling it when I receive it. Anybody interested? $77 bucks and life time warranty, what's not to love?

As for the ABS.... ours flickered on and off for awhile (5k), and then on always.... it's been like that for (30k) and since the light bulb burned out. like others have claimed.... vx drives great without, but I would like to fix ours too.

Gussie2000
12/02/2012, 08:37 PM
ABS ?

What is that ?

Can't recall having that feature in my VX

VXorado
12/03/2012, 07:10 AM
Sorry Earl, my second ABS module started going bad last February with the exact light behavior. You might notice no ABS light on warmer days but sure enough it will eventually be illuminated most of the time.

tom4bren
12/03/2012, 07:36 AM
& remember if you want to send yours in & need a module till it's done, you can get one from the boneyard off of a Durango.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23339&highlight=durango

mdwyer
12/04/2012, 10:09 PM
Turned the VX off and restarted...still on. Turned it off and restarted...went off as usual...Whew!

Left for an errand this evening and it's on again...turned it off at a red light and restarted...went out.

That all sounds a lot like how mine went. It was off when I bought it, but on by the time I got it home. Then it started coming on from time to time. Now it pretty much never turns off. I think every once in a while, it will be off for the first few minutes of my drive, but it never seems to make it out of the neighborhood, now.

I, like many others, don't really miss it, though. It's an annoying red light on my dash, and I guess there are some ways to fix it, now -- I'm especially excited about the Durango find! -- but if I'm going to fix that, I also need to fix the master cylinder reservoir... and if I'm doing that, I might as well put in braided brake lines... and if I'm doing that, then I might as well....

You get the idea.

I haven't been able to convince myself to do a full break overhaul, yet. That, and I've never bled an ABS system, so I have no idea how that is done.

tom4bren
12/05/2012, 06:41 AM
It's totally worthless to fix the ABS!!!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/ABS4.jpg

Stopping distance is 'Zakly the same wit or wit-out.

HMMMM!!! Looks like the one without ABS actually tracked straighter than the one with during the aggressive braking maneuver.

CowboyErik
12/05/2012, 08:42 PM
My ABS has never worked; I like ABS on my Nissan Quest, nice features, not present on any of my collector Bertone or Pinninfarina cars either; the guy that owned my VX before me sabotaged my ABS, it's never worked; tech said wires were pulled outta the code reader, been so busy fixing all the other bugs in my VX that the ABS is the last concern! Thank God my Tranny issues are over!

VX KAT
12/05/2012, 09:02 PM
My ABS has never worked; I like ABS on my Nissan Quest, nice features, not present on any of my collector Bertone or Pinninfarina cars either; the guy that owned my VX before me sabotaged my ABS, it's never worked; tech said wires were pulled outta the code reader, been so busy fixing all the other bugs in my VX that the ABS is the last concern! Thank God my Tranny issues are over!

Don't forget the company on ebay that rebuilds them with a lifetime guarantee for around $80. I sent in a unit from a salvage yard and got it rebuilt, supposed to get it back tomorrow from them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110784352777?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

evillecutter
12/06/2012, 06:00 AM
the only thing abs has ever done for me was make a "brrrrrrr" noise as i slid into something

Mile High VX
12/06/2012, 07:05 AM
the only thing abs has ever done for me was make a "brrrrrrr" noise as i slid into something

That there is some funny stuff....:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy::smilewink

tom4bren
12/06/2012, 07:28 AM

I can relate

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/0526100759-00.jpg

That there is some funny stuff....:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy::smilewink

Yah, I can laugh about it now. Back then ... not so much!:)

djvx
12/06/2012, 10:36 PM
ABS-useless and dangerous for me, I slid thru too many intersections. I disabled it years ago. Would never go back.

Mile High VX
12/07/2012, 07:35 PM
So I determined today that if I just start the VX up the ABS light will likely stay on...but if I turn on the ignition and let the light go off after a few seconds then the light will stay off...very curious.

Also, a code reader produced no codes...

etlsport
12/09/2012, 05:07 AM
Abs needs a specific code reader, a standard obd2 will not read it (same with trans codes) mine was just like that when it went out. If i held it in the on position before starting it wouldn't come on for a while. Also the colder the weather the better chance it wouldn't come on. Then it came on more frequently then it wouldn't go off unless i disconnected the battery and then it was just always on. Pretty easy fix one you have the pay.

Mile High VX
12/09/2012, 06:37 AM
Abs needs a specific code reader, a standard obd2 will not read it (same with trans codes) mine was just like that when it went out. If i held it in the on position before starting it wouldn't come on for a while. Also the colder the weather the better chance it wouldn't come on. Then it came on more frequently then it wouldn't go off unless i disconnected the battery and then it was just always on. Pretty easy fix one you have the pay.

That sums up my situation perfectly...now decisions, decisions....

BigMike
12/10/2012, 10:17 AM
Ok so with all this being said- here is my predicament. The Isuzu dealer (or used to be) still has tools, parts, and a tech but he and a machine shop can not press my rear wheel bearings off the axle shaft. They are frozen on. The bearings are completely shot so it's completely useless. One side was going to cost around 400 bucks for the labor, bearings, and seals.
I thought hell I'll just put a Dana rear end in. A Ford 9. Weld on new brackets. Get the right lug pattern and be through with it. But I scrapped it because of the ABS. It sounds like to me I could just clip the sensors off and remove the bulb from the dash and move on.
Any thoughts? Aside from buying a complete axle assembly for a VX I do not know what else to do. Not doing me any good on Jack stands I know that.