PDA

View Full Version : those of you with the RAZO shifters...

ScubaSteve
10/22/2003, 10:38 AM
well i get a vibrating noise when the engine's RPMs hit around 2200-2400. it's quite annoying considering most of my driving time is spent within that range! i tried to uncover the problem by taking the entire center console & shifter cover area apart. it was then that i realized all u had to do was UNSCREW the shifter to get into IT:rolleyes: turns out the problem is just the top of the spring vibrating against the inside of the shifter handle.

ANYWAY... i found under the shifter cover that apparently when SCUDD installed the RAZO shifters, there was something extra that he didn't attach or detached from the OEM shifter. i found it wrapped up in a paper towel (i guess so it wouldn't vibrate against the metal body right under it).

it looks like the same type of cable used for throttle control -- a rubber/plastic cable housing, and at the end the STEEL cable sticks out about 2 inches or so and has a black plastic eyelet type connection at the end. i can move the steel cable in and out about 1/4 - 1/2 inch maybe.

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?:) i tried following the other end, but it goes in the dash and up where it's too compact for me to trace it w/o totally disassembling the dash. i was thinking it was the switch attached to the brakes that allowed/prevented you from shifting w/o having the brake depressed, but i tested that theory and it wasn't it.

maybe a manual overdrive ON/OFF switch from the old shifter knob? any help would be appreciated. I'm not too worried about it, but of course i would like to know what the h#ll it is:cool:

Cyrk
10/22/2003, 10:48 AM
Man i have that rattling to with my razo... driving me NUTS, I always end up driving with my hand resting on the shifter to shut it up... need to get in there to figure out what to do to stop it from vibrating.

this is the one I have, the rattling is only coming from the gear shifter, not the 4wheel one.

-Dave

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/39razo.jpg

ScubaSteve
10/22/2003, 10:56 AM
wow thought i was lookin' at my truck for a sec:) anyway i found this... maybe?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=953&highlight=home+depot

god i love this forum:)

nyc #1 ironman
10/22/2003, 12:57 PM
Wait Scuba Steve. Is your post relating to two different topics? 1) being the vibrating noise and 2) being about key getting stuck in ignition? I want to bring the thread with the solution to the vibrating noise to my mechanic to fix but I want to make sure its the right directions because that vibration from my Razo drives me nutssssss,,, please advise?

AREA 51
10/22/2003, 01:07 PM
The cable is either a shifter/ key interlock or a shifter/ brake interlock or a combo of both.

nyc #1 ironman
10/22/2003, 02:15 PM
Thanks Area.....

ScubaSteve
10/22/2003, 03:32 PM
NYC dont pay a mech to fix the vibrating buzz man! Just buy a foot of maybe 10gauge wire from lowes, pull the coating off, and feed that spring through it. no more buzz:)

like to see what a mech would charge for that... wait... no i wouldn't...............:rolleyes:

-x-
10/22/2003, 03:37 PM
No vibrating as of yet (knock on wood) but i did have tha key prob, and even following the advice on tha affore mentioned thread i couldnt resolve it....

so what did i do??? I disconnected tha cable in totallity ;eekb; I know (or maybe i dont) but it solved the problem :mbrasd: and i always push tha brake anyway...x

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/204dsc00144-med.jpg

nyc #1 ironman
10/22/2003, 07:03 PM
thanks scuba , your right...

ScubaSteve
10/23/2003, 09:08 AM
X you shouldn't have a problem with those shifters... it's the RAZO ones in the pic further up in this string...

WormGod
10/24/2003, 07:31 AM
I have a rattle/vibration in my Razo's also. Only the tranny handle though. It's been located on the "overdrive" button. Once I get going, that bad boy gets all shifty on me and sounds like a loose peanut in it's shell. I sorta learned to live with it, and keep telling myself I am gonna silicon down in the sides of the button assemply. No use for it anyways.

http://wormgod.8m.com/Images/Ebony/vx_boots.jpg

Bantan
10/24/2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by WormGod
I have a rattle/vibration in my Razo's also. Only the tranny handle though. It's been located on the "overdrive" button. Once I get going, that bad boy gets all shifty on me and sounds like a loose peanut in it's shell. I sorta learned to live with it, and keep telling myself I am gonna silicon down in the sides of the button assemply. No use for it anyways.

http://wormgod.8m.com/Images/Ebony/vx_boots.jpg

Is there a way to connect the OD button on your shifter to the power button wiring?

WormGod
10/24/2003, 11:35 AM
I had originally thought about wiring it to something but could find no real use for it. I shift manually much of the time, and knowing me, I would hit it accidentally or something. Next thing you know, my high beams would click on or washer fluid would come shooting out. Better to leave an accident in the happening alone. ;)

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/24/2003, 05:30 PM
Seems to me that when I used to play "spyhunter" there was lots 'o' stuff to connect to that OD button:

1)smoke screen
2)oil slick
3)rocket launcher

LOL.;eekr;

MachineVX
07/12/2004, 01:05 PM
Does the 4WD shift knob just unscrew?

MZ-N10
07/12/2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by MachineVX
Does the 4WD shift knob just unscrew?

yes
________
Tarzan cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/tarzan)

edwin
07/14/2004, 12:36 PM
CYRK -
Dude, where can I get that carbon fiber/chrome brake handle cover - ? I like your set-up, is cool !
I know the gun shifter is the Razo RA92, what's the 4WD model number - ?
Thanks CYRK -
edwin

Cyrk
07/14/2004, 12:53 PM
Razo RA93 for the auto tranny knob
Razo RA54 for the 4H/4L gear knob
Levoc NPX-LV701 for the hand brake cover

nyc #1 ironman
07/14/2004, 12:56 PM
Ok Edwin, for someone who was just in my VX 3 days ago you sure are blind, I've got the same one,,,lolololol