PDA

View Full Version : Gas Light

dr4g0n
10/21/2003, 11:10 PM
Any one know how far you can go with the gas light on?

How much fuel is left when it come on?

-Novak-

hchen
10/21/2003, 11:49 PM
about a gallon or so...my gauge is messed up so sometimes it comes on when there's 3 or 4 gallons left and other times when im hittin reserves with 2 gallons left which is normal. i think...

ScubaSteve
10/22/2003, 03:20 AM
not sure... with my mileage not far:) i have noticed that when i go to the gas station i can only put around 18.5 gallons in the 22.5 gallon tank, and i wait til i'm more or less right at E to get gas...

Apostle
10/22/2003, 05:53 AM
if it is like other cars i have had, if you rarely go below a 1/4 of a tank, the gas light will come on at around 5 gallons left in tank, if its constantly below 1/4 it will come on at around 1-2 galons left.

but not sure on the VX

Virus-VX
10/22/2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by dr4g0n
... how far you can go with the gas light on?
.... -

My Jeep equipped with EVIC display (Electronic Vehicle Information Center)
When gas light is on EVIC usually shows 15 miles left until empty (it does not show how many gallons letf).

Bantan
10/22/2003, 09:17 AM
In highway driving the (intermitent) gas light comes on earlier, after which you can go another 20 to 30 miles depending on braking, weather contitions, if you've got cruise control engaged and traffic conditions.

City driving is a totally different story, when the light comes intermittently you got about 5 miles to go then when you get to where it stays on you have less than 2 miles to go. Take it from me, because I actually ran out of gas 2 blocks from a gas station, needless to say I found a traffic violation ticket on my windsheild (for leaving my VX in the middle of the street) when I got back with a 2 liter sprite bottle full of gas. That just was not my day.

In my previous experience with other cars there is more leadway. It drops another quarter past "E" no problem. When the VX hits "E" you better look around for a gas station. :nuke:

Navigator
10/22/2003, 10:11 AM
... in about 24 miles or less you will be pushing 2 tons of truck to the side of the road wishing you had stopped for gas sooner :D I refill at 1/2 tank, I here it's good for the injectors.

johnnyapollo
10/22/2003, 10:21 AM
I've heard in the past that it was always best to fill up when you hit a quarter of a tank. Something about moisture in the gas tank or something.

-- John

AREA 51
10/22/2003, 12:58 PM
Thought I read somewhere it means you have 2.5 gallons remaining.

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/22/2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by johnnyapollo
I've heard in the past that it was always best to fill up when you hit a quarter of a tank. Something about moisture in the gas tank or something.

-- John

Don't know for sure if there is any truth in this or not; but, I always heard that you should try to keep your tank full mainly in winter and during big variances in temperature (warm days..cold nights) because condensation forms (sweating) and supposedly intensifies with low fuel levels resulting in water in your fuel which could even freeze. If nothing else, keeping your tank mostly full is good for 2 things in winter:

1) more weight over rear axle hopefully helping out in the traction department when roads are slick.

2) If you are stranded and cannot leave the safety of your vehicle to go for help and take precautions to keep from submitting to asyphixiation (CO----carbon monoxide poisoning) you may need to keep the vehicle running to stay warm and a full tank could be a huge benefit as opposed to running out of gas and freezing to death!

mrtew
10/23/2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
I always heard that you should try to keep you tank full....

A third really good reason is when the next blackout hits and all the gas stations are closed for three days while someone figures out how to flip the switch back on you won't have to sit at home like all the people who ride the gauge on E.

hitnrun74
10/24/2003, 04:00 AM
20K miles and I have still never seen the gas light. I usually keep her at at least a quarter, but I've rode the edge a few times. I think I'm going to run it a little low this time, just to see this light. I've never owned a car with a gas light before.

jim.LR>AR
10/27/2003, 06:38 AM
When the light goes on I have 21 miles and it will start to sputter . I'm always close to a station so I never put much gas in it . At $1.42 a gallon and I'm lazy and need smokes daily anyway I don't really worry about a full tank.

Daver
10/27/2003, 06:42 AM
I've read the 1/4 tank theory as well. One source said it's better for the fuel pump and filter, leaving the sediments at the bottom of the tank to be cleaned out by hand.

Another source (my car's manual) said its bad for the cats to go below 1/4 tank, and the gaslight in my car actually comes on around 1/4 tank.

Personally I always had more of a problem with having too little gas than "enough" in my car. ;)

-Daver

Jonnie
10/27/2003, 02:54 PM
Research indicates it comes on after 19 gallons.

Jonathan

kpaske
10/28/2003, 08:36 AM
It seems that it's different for every VX. I personally drive it down close to empty before I fill up, but rarely does the idiot light ever come on. When it does, and I feel like pushing the limits, the guage will sink well below E and I've driven over 30 miles further on a couple of occassions (highway miles). By the way, I've never run out of gas (fingers crossed ;eekb; ).

Does anyone know what kind of a sensor the VX is using?