PDA

View Full Version : ??? for all you paint and body guys

Triathlete
11/15/2012, 08:58 PM
How much paint will it take to paint a VX (complete color change)?

Leon R
11/16/2012, 06:39 AM
Depending on desired quality and conditon of the body, it can be $400 (Maaco) to $10,000. Most "reasonable" paint jobs cost $2-3k.

Maaco spray job is "OK", but their prep work SUCKS! If you can prep the car yourself, you can actually get the same result from Maaco as $1000-$1500 paint jobs. But it still not a $2-3k paint job...

Also, color changing paint jobs are typically more expensive because you have to paint the door jams for it to look good. Maaco charges extra $75 per door jam/under the hood. So expect to pay extra $300 for 2 doors, tailgate and under the hood.

Triathlete
11/16/2012, 06:45 AM
Not how much $$$
How much paint...as in quarts, gallons...:)

WormGod
11/16/2012, 07:11 AM
It usually depends on the kind of paint and the coverage you want. Full exterior and doorjams/etc I assume? But let's say you just want a good urethane....

1 Gallon basecoat. Remember, that gallon gets thinned with a reducer and a hardener so that creates a bit more liquid. It also gets spread pretty thin over the coats. I would imagine 2 passes of basecoat would do it.

Also, remember, another gallon of clearcoat, also with its reducers/hardeners.

It is never the paint that is expensive with paint jobs. Its the labor due to teardown and basic shop rate. I would say 90% of the cost is always the labor involved.

Triathlete
11/16/2012, 08:08 AM
I am kind of thinking something like this (http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/HRF233.aspx).
Labor would be me :)

Leon R
11/16/2012, 10:26 AM
Sorry... Misunderstood you...

You might also consider plastidip prosess, it looks good on 4x4s.

VXorado
11/16/2012, 11:29 AM
You might also consider plastidip prosess, it looks good on 4x4s.

I looked into plastidip before I vinyl wrapped. It's nifty but I couldn't find info on how it holds up against scratches. I was worried it would scratch on the trails and start peeling away. :_confused

givegodachance
11/16/2012, 01:06 PM
the good thing about plastidip is that if you scratch it you can just peel and respray. A friend did his new FJ with plastidip and has had no complaints. Then again he is a pansy and wont even go through a hole with it. I thought about plastidiping the cladding or rhino liner. Has anyone done this yet?

VXorado
11/16/2012, 01:48 PM
I sprayed a small section of the cladding with the rattle can plastidip- it looked great until it started peeling a day later. :upsetgray

You would think the professional setup lays on thicker.

WormGod
11/19/2012, 07:00 AM
Not how much $$$
How much paint...as in quarts, gallons...:)

Well in that case, knock yourself out. No labor involved other than your own is a good, solid deal.

You do plan on doing a complete cover right? Door jams, etc? If so, it may not hurt to buy a little extra just so you have the exact color match down the road if you ever need to do a repair or add a painted mod. :yeso:

EDIT: This was in response to you comment "I am kind of thinking something like this. Labor would be me "

Triathlete
12/02/2012, 10:29 AM
Think I found my next paint. It is tintable for any color you want, tough, comes in a kit including the spray gun (just have to add tint and a air supply) and can do the VX for a tad over $200! Raptor liner. (http://www.tptools.com/p/2600,186_U-Pol-Raptor-Truck-Bed-Liner-Kit.html) I have read a lot of real world reviews on the jeep and 'yota forums and this stuff should work great!

JHarris1385
12/02/2012, 01:47 PM
https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

Triathlete
12/02/2012, 03:55 PM
The reviews of the plastic dip have not been as good...apparently it is soft and scratches easy. Not what I want for off road use.

yellowgizmo99
12/02/2012, 04:48 PM
Billy, that was what I was planning on trying also, if you check on e-bay they have a 10% off sell 4/5 days before the sale ends. I see it is same price as the site you have.

Triathlete
12/02/2012, 04:49 PM
I won't be doing it any time soon...but it's on my to-so list! :)