PDA

View Full Version : Coil Spring Question

Maddawg
11/15/2012, 07:04 PM
I think I have seen the answer to my question in here somewhere but darned if I can find it again.

I'm trying to determine if my coil springs have taken a set. I didn't measure them after I installed them, only the height of the fender well from the floor, but darned again if I can find the notes, lol.

Can anyone here that has done a 3" lift RECENTLY please tell me what the INSTALLED coil spring height is of an Old Man Emu spring or even the Cal Mini spring?? I don't care which it is, 912 or whatever.

RickOKC
11/15/2012, 09:12 PM
I think I have seen the answer to my question in here somewhere but darned if I can find it again.

I'm trying to determine if my coil springs have taken a set. I didn't measure them after I installed them, only the height of the fender well from the floor, but darned again if I can find the notes, lol.

Can anyone here that has done a 3" lift RECENTLY please tell me what the INSTALLED coil spring height is of an Old Man Emu spring or even the Cal Mini spring?? I don't care which it is, 912 or whatever.
Could it be Rickshaw's topic (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15476)? Maybe not, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few different answers because the VX was hand assembled and there seemed to be a "range" for the stock heights. (For example: I'm pretty sure the stock height of the front end varied by a full inch according to an Isuzu employee comparing new / new-ish vehicles sitting on the new car lot.) :o

Maddawg
11/15/2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks, but thats not what I was asking. Again, can anyone with a 3" lift tell me what the installed spring height is. Ya know, measure the spring from top to bottom. Mine measures 10 1/2".

RickOKC
11/16/2012, 05:33 PM
DOH!!!! Sorry, I didn't understand your question and couldn't help! ;ooy; Hopefully someone else can fix ya up! :)

Try this - CLICK HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/memberlist.php?&field5=3%22+lift&order=DESC&sort=lastvisit&pp=30) a list of members who have a 3" lift shown in the modification section of their profile (sorted by the last time they visited.) Send a PM to see if someone has enough time to crawl under their VX with a tape measure.

TIP: How to search for things like this
Click on Quick Links > Members List
Click Search Members > Advanced Search
Use the most unique terms you can think of in any of those blanks that describes what you're looking for
(in this case - 3" lift in the modifications section)
Then click on the Last Visit tab so help weed out people who are no longer active members.

BEST OF LUCK! :)

Maddawg
11/16/2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks Rick!

Triathlete
11/16/2012, 10:03 PM
If I remember I will measure my 912s tomorrow.

Maddawg
11/17/2012, 07:56 AM
If I remember I will measure my 912s tomorrow.
That would be great! :bgwo:

Maddawg
11/17/2012, 08:58 AM
This what mine looks like, its pretty easy to get the measurement if you go to the very rear and measure the right side coil.
http://i46.tinypic.com/aewggx.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/mwyy6g.jpg

Triathlete
11/17/2012, 11:09 AM
My 912 measure 12 1/2 inches. They have been on my VX about7 years.

Maddawg
11/17/2012, 11:21 AM
My 912 measure 12 1/2 inches. They have been on my VX about7 years.
I had talked to Little Beast about buying his 2" spacers but his comment was that it might cause the spline shaft angle to be too extreme. Are you experiencing any high speed vibrations or noises? Also does your VX have a slight nose down attitude or does it sit level? :confused:

Triathlete
11/17/2012, 11:51 AM
I have a very slight rake. I get the humming noise on deceleration but no vibrations. Have had no issues.

Triathlete
11/17/2012, 11:54 AM
Are your current springs oem? All the oem springs I have seen have been red.

Maddawg
11/17/2012, 11:59 AM
No I had these made custom by JR Springs. They had previous VX customers and made mine three inches taller than stock. They may have settled.

VXorado
11/17/2012, 04:33 PM
No I had these made custom by JR Springs. They had previous VX customers and made mine three inches taller than stock. They may have settled.

Maybe the custom springs weren't as stiff as the stock springs and you lost the added length in weight compression.

Maddawg
11/17/2012, 04:47 PM
Maybe the custom springs weren't as stiff as the stock springs and you lost the added length in weight compression.

Yeah, I suspect the coil diameter is smaller than the OME springs. :(

Maddawg
11/17/2012, 05:08 PM
I have a very slight rake. I get the humming noise on deceleration but no vibrations. Have had no issues.

Thanks a lot good buddy. You helped a bunch!!! ;);)

Triathlete
11/17/2012, 05:19 PM
No problem, glad it helped. Tomorrow I throw the very beefy heavy duty adjustable links on to replace my bent oem links! :)