PDA

View Full Version : Turn signal on when braking??

SilverBullet75
11/15/2012, 08:36 AM
Strange thing happened this morning...
Noticed that every time I hit the brakes, my left turn signal comes on (instead of the brake light).

Is this a "fail safe" when a bulb goes out?

I'll check everything out when I get off work, but right now I'm disturbed by this...

Thoughts?

tom4bren
11/15/2012, 08:38 AM
First thing to check is your trailer light adapter wiring. If it's not getting a good ground, then really funky things can happen ... ask me how I know!!!:)

SilverBullet75
11/15/2012, 08:40 AM
I do have trailer wiring, but haven't used it in about a year. I'll check into it. Thanks!

tom4bren
11/15/2012, 09:03 AM
Yah, when mine started acting up, I hadn't used it in a while either. Unfortunately, I was in the process of wiring in the replacement when I found the loose ground wire.

etlsport
11/15/2012, 11:05 AM
Agree with Tom. Also are you using standard bulbs or LED bulbs? I have seen many people have issues with LED bulbs in the tail/turn signals. Sometimes you need load resistors across the brake lights in addition to turn signals. try using that turn signal when you are on the highway with cruise control engaged. If the cruise control disengages you have a short or bad ground. If it doesn't you probably have two wires backwards or an incorrect/misplaced bulb

SilverBullet75
11/15/2012, 11:52 AM
Hi,
No LED. Just stock.
This all happened suddenly this morning.

I'll try the cruise trick too.
thanks!

Hoping it's just a blown bulb...

SilverBullet75
11/15/2012, 04:30 PM
Special thanks to Master Jedi Tom4Bren!!!

It turned out to be both a burned/blown brake light bulb AND a blown trailer wiring adapter! I tried regrounding it to no avail. Then removed one wire, and fixed! (It was hot too!).
So I pulled the adapter out. I'll replace it later.

Thanks again!

WormGod
11/19/2012, 07:08 AM
Funny, I noticed one of my tail lights was acting up when I left Friday night from work. Luckily, I decided to take a walk around my VX while it was idling in the parking a lot at work before I left while I finished a smoke. I noticed my passenger side tail light was "fluttering". Just the parking light. When the brake was pressed, it was solid.

Now, I had done a complete light modification many years ago which meant cracking open the light, tinting the inner assembly (smoked) and putting LED bulbs in. This issue is quite new and from the looks of it, one of the LEDs is starting to give up the ghost or I have a short. Time to pry through and see what the gremlins have done....