PDA

View Full Version : Quick Questions - Please advise...

ScubaSteve
10/21/2003, 11:02 AM
OK first off, about to do my 15k maintenance... Currently using Mobil 1 oil, but what oil have you guys tried? Anyone using Amsoil? I'm pretty sure i'm switching to it, but wanna know if anyone else has tried and what weight? Also, what other fluids did you replace for your 15k maint. & what did you replace them with?

Next, has anyone seen the new 04 Nissan Quest? I'm thinking it'd be REALLY easy to put those two sunroofs in the VX! Seriously considering looking into it...

FINALLY, a TOD question... those of you w/ stock tires - is your TOD ever engaged, or is all power on the rear tires? Reason for asking is that I've got pirelli scorpion zeros on my VX (pretty d@mn wide:)) and i'm hoping it's the reason that my TOD is always engaged. I always have "1 green bar" on my front axle... what's that like 10-30% or something? Gotsta dig out me bloody owners manual.....

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I get an answer about the oil soon at the very least so I can order it for my VX TLC time this weekend;Dr;

SoilDoc
10/21/2003, 11:13 AM
Along the same lines.... since my engine uses oil about 1 quart per 1000 miles, is it better to burn synthetic or non-synthetic oil in an engine?

cynically yours,

Jed

valenki
10/21/2003, 11:15 AM
I use mobil1. It is supposed to be the best. For 15m service make a search on the forum for "service" or 15k miles or somthing like that. On mine, TOD is engage 15%(one bar) most of the time. Other than standing or driving on dry streight pavement. Hope this helps.

Raque Thomas
10/21/2003, 11:16 AM
Steve, I'm running Mobil1 also, and just standard fluids in the differentials (changed at the dealership). If you have the dealership do your 15K service, you'll probably have to tell them to change the differential fluids, as it's not on their "normal" 15K mile service list.

On the TOD, I'm running stock tires on stock 18" rims, and I usually have one bar lit also (sometimes two) without agressive driving - just all the time. So I am assuming that is normal, I'm sure we'll hear from others.

ScubaSteve
10/21/2003, 12:00 PM
well i searched for teh fluid change info and found paulvx's posts very helpful (thx paul:))... seems like i'm going with 10w-30 amsoil, the amsoil oil filter, & amsoil atf... just gotta find some front & rear diff fluid. figure it's gonna take me 2 cases of aft fluid and oil alone:)

VXMAN
10/21/2003, 12:12 PM
Steve, I use Amsoil for everything but the oil, I use Mobil 1. The ATF takes 10 quarts and Amsoil sells it in a 12 quart jug. I would also get thier gear oil as well. I only use Amsoil and don't forget to add the Diff additive in the rear. It's required in the owners manual and that will keep you from getting in any trouble with Isuzu if anything should go wrong and you need it fixed. Some have gone without the additive, but I wouldn't.

Dave
:D

Virus-VX
10/21/2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by ScubaSteve
... Currently using Mobil 1 oil, but what oil have you guys tried? Anyone using Amsoil? I'm pretty sure i'm switching to it, but wanna know if anyone else has tried and what weight? ...

Steve,
Let me tell you my thought on that.
I'm using Mobil1 since my first oil change service and will continue using this brand because:
1. Availability and accessibility - Available everywhere!
2. Price - absolutely reasonable price for real fully synthetic motor oil. I'm buying case of 6qts in BJ Club for $22.00 in PA (piece may vary from state to state).
3. Just because for the changing intervals between 3,000 to 7,500 miles (no matter what your driving habit is) this particular oil does its job as great as other more expensive and hardly available brands such as Amsoil, RP, and RedLine.

No doubt that Amsoil is a good quality systemic oil, but I have a doubt that Amsoil works better than Mobile1 at the regular oil change intervals. IMO of course.

ScubaSteve
10/21/2003, 12:23 PM
wait, now is the differential lube the same as the 75w-90/80w-90 front & rear differential fluid? and this additive... do you have a part number? what's the additive for?:)

oh the ignorance....:)

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/21/2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by SoilDoc
Along the same lines.... since my engine uses oil about 1 quart per 1000 miles, is it better to burn synthetic or non-synthetic oil in an engine?

cynically yours,

Jed

Just to let you know...this isn't normal. I would have someone(dealer) check it out. I change my oil every 3,000 miles and at most use 1/2 qt., usually less. I use Mobil 1 Trisynthetic 10w-30 during spring/fall/winter.....15W-50 during hottest part of summer.

Dylan19
10/21/2003, 04:53 PM
TOD should always be putting 1 bar forward at speeds above 7 mph. It is possible to put the VX into 2wd only but at speed it becomes very unstable especially fast turning. Ive had mine almost 3 years and have had 1 bar forward the whole time.

Virus-VX
10/21/2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
... I use Mobil 1 Trisynthetic 10w-30 ....

Trisynthetic? :confused:
You still use Mobil1 with Trisynthetic? Where did you get it?
In my knowledge it’s about 2 or 3 years Mobil1 goes with SuperSyn anti-wear technology.

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/22/2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Virus-VX
Trisynthetic? :confused:
You still use Mobil1 with Trisynthetic? Where did you get it?
In my knowledge it’s about 2 or 3 years Mobil1 goes with SuperSyn anti-wear technology.

OOOoooooooooopppps...you're right, it's SuperSyn now...I keep forgetting to call it that now...I even still have a quart of TriSynthetic as a spare for emergencies! Yes...I use Mobil 1 SuperSyn 10W-30 in Spring/Fall/winter and the 15W-50 in the Hottest parts of summer.