PDA

View Full Version : is my vx technician right?

tysamigo
11/09/2012, 06:41 AM
While my truck is getting painted I asked them to powder coat my rotors. He said that the rear would be easy but when it comes to the front he wants to spray paint. He said that in order to do the front because it is 4 wheel drive he would have to disassemble many parts and and that it would take a long time. This goes beyond my scope of knowing about cars and about my VX technically.

Is he right? In order to do the job and get the parts of will it take a long time SE States which would cost a lot of money?

I really appreciate anyone's input...

Tyler

Ldub
11/09/2012, 06:56 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11324&highlight=bearing+repack

Not all that difficult, he prolly doesn't wanna deal with the mess.

tom4bren
11/09/2012, 07:11 AM
Rotors???

Do you mean calipers?

I don't think that any of the rotor shows except for the wear surfaces & paint/powder coat will last maybe ... a mile on those surfaces.

WormGod
11/09/2012, 07:12 AM
As an ex-painter, I would always suggest dismantling caliper and rotor assemblies to do it right. You can treat the surfaces better for competent coverage and adhesion. Also, painting movable parts while together can cause seizing when it dries.

But do you HAVE TO do it this way? No. Just preferred.

Scott Harness
11/09/2012, 07:27 AM
Rotors???

Do you mean calipers?

I don't think that any of the rotor shows except for the wear surfaces & paint/powder coat will last maybe ... a mile on those surfaces.

That's what I thought!...Huh??

tom4bren
11/09/2012, 07:44 AM

WHEW!!!

Thought I was just being a DUFUS! :)

tom4bren
11/09/2012, 07:47 AM
As an ex-painter, I would always suggest dismantling caliper and rotor assemblies to do it right. You can treat the surfaces better for competent coverage and adhesion. Also, painting movable parts while together can cause seizing when it dries.

Powder coating obviously requires removal since parts will have to be baked.

I don't know at what temp parts must be baked for powder coating but I'm guessing that it's probably too hot for the rubber boots in calipers ... thoughts?

H3_VX
11/09/2012, 11:02 AM
Powder coating rotors? What? First I hear of that.

tysamigo
11/09/2012, 11:40 AM
Yes, powder coat the rotors (black). It's part of my restoration project that was started earlier this year. I'm going for "show" and will be entering in competitions. Most there powdercoat (and something called soda-coat, whatever that is) their rotors and obviously paint the calipers, which I'm also doing. I know the look I want, but I didn't know how to go about doing it until recently. I found that by powder coating the rotors and painting the calipers (with something like a product called G2), this is the look I'm wanting.

I just talked to him on the phone and he says the rotors in the front are shot and need replacing and that I might as well do all 4. He told me to go to Advanced Auto and get the following:

*Front and Rear Rotors
*Ceramic Pads (Advanced Auto's namebrand, but the best they have, called GOLD) for front and rear
*2 Bearing Seals for front rotors

He says these items need replaced and in the process will powder coat the new rotors and paint the calipers (same proton yellow, matched w/G2).

He said his quote was about $275 for everything for parts and I offered to go pick everything up. Since all of this is really out of my scope, my questions are:

*Does this make sense in what he's asking me to get? I mean, I trust him and all that, but if you were doing the same thing, is there anything else I should be looking at while all this is taken apart?

*While he's replacing these parts, is there anything "weird" about this process on the VX that I need to pass along to him or is replacing these items on the VX just like any other vehicle?

Your thoughts?????

tysamigo
11/09/2012, 11:46 AM

Aaaahhh ok. That makes sense. I will make sure to mention that to him when I drop the parts off. Good advice! Thanks

tysamigo
11/09/2012, 12:05 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11324&highlight=bearing+repack

Not all that difficult, he prolly doesn't wanna deal with the mess.

Awesome!! Thanks dub!!!

givegodachance
11/09/2012, 12:25 PM
to powder coat you need to bake for 20 mins at 400. I am trying to setup an old stove in the garage to do it myself. You can buy all you need at harbour freight for about 100 bucks.

evillecutter
11/09/2012, 01:05 PM
wouldnt the brake pads just immediately start wearing off the powder coat on the rotors as soon as you start driving it? ive had lots of stuff powdercoated and it is durable but by no means indestructable

tysamigo
11/09/2012, 01:09 PM
wouldnt the brake pads just immediately start wearing off the powder coat on the rotors as soon as you start driving it? ive had lots of stuff powdercoated and it is durable but by no means indestructable

I asked the same question to 5 other owners who do the same thing. They all said as long as you keep it clean it will wear slowly. Of course, eventually they will need to be redone but to keep them looking this way to just keep them clean. With our agreement (we've been bartering along the way), it's only $20-25/each wheel. I thought what the hell, do it since I'm replacing them anyways.
To me it's an experiment I guess.

tysamigo
11/09/2012, 01:11 PM
*Front and Rear Rotors
*Ceramic Pads (Advanced Auto's namebrand, but the best they have, called GOLD) for front and rear
*2 Bearing Seals for front rotors

With a "commercial rate" discount, the total was $180. Not bad I guess?

evillecutter
11/09/2012, 01:17 PM
sounds awesome id love to see pics when its done i always thought doing the brakes on a vehicle like this really sets it off especially with the stock wheels where you can see the calipers really good - i really like the look of slotted rotors with braided brake lines and painted calipers but im very curious to see how these end up

atilla_the_fun
11/09/2012, 01:23 PM
Usually, just the hub of rotors is painted/powder coated

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/crazybob1300/photo3.jpg

VX KAT
11/09/2012, 01:33 PM
Usually, just the hub of rotors is painted/powder coated

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/crazybob1300/photo3.jpg

ah, that makes way more sense to me.
Even if it would "wear slowly", Tyler what does it do to your stopping ability?? Any compromise?

Also, I know I've read here many times the OEM brake pads are far superior to many others (I "think" even ceramic). Many here have reported 80k - 120k miles on the original OEM pads. I'm at 81k and original pads have 30% front, 50% rear remaining.

evillecutter
11/09/2012, 01:35 PM
those look awesome atilla! - i think the tod might have something to do with the brake pads wearing slowly too

chadzu
11/09/2012, 04:05 PM
You can buy nice black zinc coated rotors, I have seen them on eBay and they look pretty nice.

Ldub
11/09/2012, 06:58 PM
Rotors???

Do you mean calipers?

Awwwww...cum'mon guys...:rotate:

If you have the proper wheels fitted, you can see a good bit of the front hubs...:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC043611.JPG

eblank
11/09/2012, 08:59 PM
I don't have experience with it but from what I've heard, be careful if you're going to do the powdercoat to avoid the wear areas, as it can gum up the pads. Paint on the other hand (so I've heard) doesn't.

WormGod
11/12/2012, 07:00 AM
I dont think he means "painting the friction surfaces". Like attilla's pic, I think he means the hub dome and perhaps around the outer surface of the rotor. Actually painting the rotor friction surface.... just throw those things out (or buy a Honda and call it a day). :p

Scott Larson
11/12/2012, 07:58 AM
I really can't imagine anyone painting or powdercoating the wear surface of the rotors unless the vehicle is strictly for show and never ever driven! Now doing the top-hat and the rotor webbing (The outer edge of the disc), that's done all the time. The coating does have to withstand extreme heat though or you'll just cook it off with any aggressive braking, those discs get HOT! :flame:

Triathlete
11/12/2012, 11:11 AM
Dub...me thinks you need a few more wheel locks! :)

tom4bren
11/13/2012, 04:25 AM
If you have the proper wheels fitted, you can see a good bit of the front hubs...:smilewink

ROFL

There ain't nothin 'proper' about you son!!!

That's what we love about you!!!