PDA

View Full Version : Grinding help needed

givegodachance
11/03/2012, 02:54 PM
OK so i got the VX running and driving and drove it to work and noticed it has a very bad grind. You can hear it winding down when it downshifts and it is grinding when you let off the gas. It doesnt grind when speeding up but it does when you let off the gas. You can feel it in eveything too. I checked out everything with fluid and it is all good. I did drive it about a half mile with a spare on the front because i forgot about the 4x4. Could i have damaged something in doing so? I only got up to 25 to 30 mph before a changed the spare to a full size.

Ldub
11/03/2012, 06:21 PM
Take it to garage, have it diagnosed...:_wrench:

Could be a LOT of things that aren't the trans case.

I'm not saying that it's not the TC, but we can't hear the sound, so it's kinda hard to tell from here...:yesgray:

givegodachance
11/03/2012, 06:38 PM
i just didnt know if there were any known problems with the VXs.

VxSport
11/03/2012, 06:39 PM
Did you recently add lift to your vx? As long as the spare was on the front, you should be ok with the little driving.

Basicly what has happened from when it was running better and now.?

givegodachance
11/03/2012, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=VxSport;269182]Did you recently add lift to your vx? As long as the spare was on the front, you should be ok with the little driving.

Basicly what has happened from when it was running better and now.?[/ The lift was on it when i bought it but i had a friend pick it up for me in florida and it needed a motor when i got it so i dont know much about it. I just wanted one, opps, my bad and im not sure what you mean about running better

VxSport
11/03/2012, 07:51 PM
Ok... so you are in a recovery vx project... Some members have described this in lifting the vx via cranking the front bars up. the front end may be lifting to high.
other things to check
CV's
What brand / type lift do you have on it.?

other members will chime in with there 2 cents worth too. I have not had that many problems with ours, it kinda scares me reading our web posts of the past years.

Ldub
11/03/2012, 08:15 PM
i just didnt know if there were any known problems with the VXs.

Only a dozen or so...:smilewink
Like Sport said,
There are any number of problems that could be associated with a decade+ old vehicle, that is prolly closer to 100k, than 20k...:_thinking

One that's been lifted as high as yours could easily have a roached CV joint, or two...or???

Could also be front bearings, diff bearings, U-joints, front prop shaft, fubared pads/rotors...:_confused

Like I said, we can't hear it...but we're usually glad to brainstorm the possibilities.

Scott Larson
11/03/2012, 08:17 PM
Just guessing here, but I'm thinkin' your transfer case has not made the electrical/mechanical "transfer" of power. Try shifting your transmission into neutral and then shift your transfer case into 4lo and do some slow-speed driving observing any odd noises. Next, shift the transfer case back into 4hi while once again having the transmission in neutral and then proceed to do some slow speed driving and gradually increase speed and see if that helps. Shifting from forward to reverse and then back again can also sometimes help. Just a thought, give it a try, costs nothin'...Best of luck! :thumbup:

Knigh7s
11/03/2012, 10:23 PM
It may not be the problem, but is worth looking into. But make sure your tires are running the same psi in the front as the backs. I had a similar sound/feel when I had a slow leak on one of my front tires, and everytime I equalled out the psi, it went away. If it isn't the tires, you may have too much "rake?" (rear much higher than the fronts?). It may be something as simple as that... Just a suggestion. Hope you figure it out though.

givegodachance
11/04/2012, 05:38 AM
well i will try the shifting thing and see what happens. The lift is from callmini or something like that. It sits level and i dont know about the cvs, not sure if they are or not. To me they are at a pretty good angle but not sure what angle they are at. I can check that out later and let you guys know. i have a protractor to check it with. There is a small leak it the rear tire so i will check that too. I also checked the wheel bearings and didnt seem bad.

givegodachance
11/04/2012, 12:54 PM
I went and tried what the advice was. When i drive it and put it in neutral coasting it still does the noise and when i put it in 4 low there is a popping and pinging from the front CVs. at least drivers side. I have not checked the angle yet of the CVs but will tomorrow. I hope this is the problem.

MSHardeman
11/04/2012, 07:54 PM
Popping and pinging from the CV's is pretty much a dead give away for bad CV's. If the previous owner didn't fix the CV's and hide the damage, you will probably have torn CV boots so they should be easy to spot. Just crawl under the front of the VX and look at the rubber CV covers. There should be one at the end of the front axle housing and one down by the back of the spindle at the front wheels. It should be easy enough to see if they are split, but if you can't tell, give them a tug and see if they separate. Also, there may be a bunch of residue (grease) that has sprayed over everything around the CV's because once they split the grease get's thrown around.

You really won't be able to tell the extent of the CV damage until you get into them. Hopefully the damage, if it is the CV's, has been contained to the joints themselves. If the "green cups" have been damaged then you'll have to get new inner axles, or have yours removed and resurfaced.

Hope it's nothing too bad. Good luck.

pbkid
11/04/2012, 08:29 PM
Small leak in the rear tire? Problem found. Get that fixed asap or you will definitely roast your t case.

Ldub
11/05/2012, 08:06 AM
I have not checked the angle yet of the CVs but will tomorrow. I hope this is the problem.

The numeric angle value of the CV's isn't really important for the sake of this discussion. I'm not sure if any of us knows that numeric angle about our own vehicle.

I was basing my observation of lift from this pic...

That much lift will make the angles pretty steep without drop brackets.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG950956.jpg

givegodachance
11/05/2012, 03:23 PM
LDUB, that is my vehicross i bought in FL. so that is the exact one we are dealing with.

givegodachance
11/05/2012, 03:25 PM
I pulled the front wheel and the axle is shot. I went to autozone and it is a dealer part, Do i really have to use a dealer to get this thing.