PDA

View Full Version : trans check???

givegodachance
10/28/2012, 10:32 AM
How do you check the fluid level in the trans? The vx i have only has 84000 miles and it feels like it is low on fluid. I know its closed but is there a screw on the side of the trans or something???

CowboyErik
10/28/2012, 11:34 AM
yep, there is a drain and a fill screw; gotta start it on level ground and open fill screw, some fluid should run out,if no fluid runs out, its low

bearandbee
10/29/2012, 06:50 AM
Make sure your engine is cold. Wear rubber gloves, lots if rags and an old long sleeve tshirt. There are step by step instructions in the forum if you are low, they are a must read.

evillecutter
10/29/2012, 06:52 AM
engine must be running when you check - correct? and i know on any other vehicle i have owned you must go slowly through all the gears before checking as well for accurate readings - i searched and searched but never could find a simple walkthrough to check the fluid, only flush and change

Scott Larson
10/29/2012, 07:16 AM
Yes, engine must be running at idle and the trans fluid temp needs to be between 90 and 135 degrees F. You can check it with a temp gun pointed at the main trans pan or with a scan tool if you have one. Fill through the overfill screw opening (top plug) until fluid runs out and immediately replace overfill plug. Torque to 25 lb ft. Done!

Scott Larson
10/29/2012, 07:23 AM
Here's a great how to showing the refill process along with a filter change!

http://www.vehicross.info/misc/pdf_files/ATF_Change.pdf

givegodachance
10/29/2012, 05:45 PM
thank you guys for the help. I reallt needed this. Now once i get the gas leak fixed im on it.