PDA

View Full Version : Need help with finding issue...

CoastieCosta567
10/23/2012, 09:04 AM
Hey guys and gals, I need help finding out what is wrong with my windows. I have searched but couldn't find the answer i was looking for, at least for as far as what i searched.

My windows stopped working. I used them the day before and all was fine, then came the next day, I try to put my windows down and both went out at the exact same time. Now i know it can't be a motor issue for both windows stopped working the same time. So my only guess is the fuse, which I cant tell if its popped or not, cuz its a different kind of fuse then those you can see through and the other option is the controls or regulator. What do you guys think is wrong.

Any way to find out whats wring by doing some electrical testing?

Thanx guys, also I want to say sorry i Have not been on here a lot lately, I have a new baby girl and she is a handful, especially that I'm a stay home dad at the moment. I give props to all the mommies of the world, its one heck of a tough and tiring job.

HeckaTrebeka
10/23/2012, 09:07 AM
If you or a friend have a multi-meter, you can check the resistance of the fuse. If it is a super high number, then it's probably blown. That is the easiest method to find out, if you can't easily visually see that it's blown.

Vendetta
10/23/2012, 09:11 AM
Both? At the same time? First thing I'd do is check to make sure the lock button isn't pressed (or otherwise shorted). Then I'd come here and ask what's up? So I'm guessing you did the first already. :smilewink

Good luck,
-V

atilla_the_fun
10/23/2012, 09:21 AM
Maybe your driver side switch is the culprit? Its possible that the cable is disconnected or not seated properly. Easy to check by popping out the switch/handle assembly. Then look for 12v at the driver and passenger switch.

pbkid
10/23/2012, 11:43 AM
Check voltage on both sides of the fuse with the ignition on. If both sides read 12v, then its fine. Is check your drivers side switch panel too. Make sure its unlocked and try the passenger side switch, if it works then its your drivers switch, if not, then its electrical.

CoastieCosta567
10/26/2012, 09:25 AM
Thanx guys. How do I check the fuse with ignition on? I would have to take it out wouldn't I? Well I'll go check it out. Sorry for the late reply and late thanx. I'll get back with ya guys shortly. :D

CoastieCosta567
10/27/2012, 04:18 PM
So I took off the fuse off and checked both sides with ignition ON and it does not read 12v, what then?

VX KAT
01/07/2013, 04:20 PM
hmmm….now you replaced the driver window button module and that didn't do anything…..
so something upstream must be causing both :_thinking

Did you definitely try what Vendetta suggested in post #3? I know I made that mistake and a few others did too….. confirm that.

vxfocus
01/07/2013, 07:56 PM
The fuse has got to stay in while testing for 12v on both sides.there are two metal parts on the top of the fuse...one on each side..one for each blade of the fuse.check each side for power.if one side has power and one doesnt the fuse is popec

PK
01/07/2013, 08:20 PM
The fuse has got to stay in while testing for 12v on both sides.there are two metal parts on the top of the fuse...one on each side..one for each blade of the fuse.check each side for power.if one side has power and one doesnt the fuse is popec

Or, take the fuse out and check the 2 fuse blades for continuity.

Either way will tell you if the fuse is good or not.

PK

Y33TREKker
01/07/2013, 08:42 PM
If you're still having the problem after this long, there are two fuses that should be checked. CB-15 (15 amp) and CB-27 (20 amp).

If both of those fuses are good, take a look at your power window relay (behind left kick panel on drivers side - it's the relay on the very bottom). Maybe it needs to be reseated? There are a couple of other relays above the power window relay, and if they're the same part number, you could also try swapping their positions to see if a different relay might get your windows working again.

If it's none of those things, well, we'll just try something else...

CoastieCosta567
01/08/2013, 06:15 AM
:?: ,Electrical stuff is so confusing. Hmmmm, ok I'll go try all these new things. Thanks a lot guys & gal. I'll let ya know if I find the issue or if it gets solved. Be back in a few.

tom4bren
01/08/2013, 06:31 AM
Coastie,

It kinda got buried above but it's important that the very firstest thing you should check is that the window lock button isn't engaged. I'm pretty sure that almost every one of us has experienced that WTF moment when our windows stopped working only to find that the stupid button was pushed.

Tom

CoastieCosta567
01/08/2013, 11:10 AM
Re-edited #14 pbkid :p

LOL, ty tom but i did that :p . Anywho, thank you guys found the issue. It was the window relay in the driver left kick panel. I tried looking for this relay before, but didn't know it was inside the plastic piece. Well now i need to buy one. Will see if autozone or a store like that carries one. Thanx again to Y33 and all who helped me. Thank you Kat for brining this thread back from the grave.

Now I can enjoy good old Florida winter fresh air, other then just my roof scoop.

pbkid
01/08/2013, 11:22 AM
Yup, check the relay.

If you dont already have it, download the VX shop manual, I think Billy has a copy here on the site, it will tell you exactly how to trace it back to the relay and test the relay itself.

My guess is a bad relay or door panel switch...

CoastieCosta567
01/08/2013, 11:28 AM
Was re-editeding #14 before and while u posted, but thanks Mae. :D

Yup, check the relay.

If you dont already have it, download the VX shop manual, I think Billy has a copy here on the site, it will tell you exactly how to trace it back to the relay and test the relay itself.

My guess is a bad relay or door panel switch...

karrijp
01/08/2013, 04:18 PM
The VX shop manual is amazing!

pbkid
01/08/2013, 04:42 PM
Was re-editeding #14 before and while u posted, but thanks Mae. :D

Ah, good timing then! :)

Power goes from battery, to ignition, to relay, to fuse, to window motor. If you had to, you could test each link one at a time and get it figured out :-P essentially thats what the manual does, is walk you from link to link with colors and how to test each connection.