PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Durango ABS Control Module Fits

xcelr8
10/22/2012, 04:12 PM
Guys, I searched hard for a replacement ABS control after opening mine and cutting thru wires thinner than a hair...that are laser soldered. Anyway, I came across a 2005 Dodge Durango ABS controller. It sure looked the same. Took a chance and bought for 100. I'm sure they can be found for cheaper and for other years.

It fits and works perfect.

xcelr8
10/22/2012, 04:14 PM
Another comparison shot.

xcelr8
10/22/2012, 04:16 PM
aaaannnd another shot.

Gussie2000
10/22/2012, 10:39 PM
Good job and excelent info

89Vette
10/22/2012, 10:48 PM
Did a salvage yard actually "part-out" and ABS controller -- to provide only "half" the brains? Seems like an unusual find.

Is the part # in the pic above?

xcelr8
10/23/2012, 04:44 AM
Did a salvage yard actually "part-out" and ABS controller -- to provide only "half" the brains? Seems like an unusual find.

Is the part # in the pic above?

No partout. This is how they are sold. At least in my searches. I sifted thru hundreds to find a model that fit.

atilla_the_fun
10/23/2012, 08:25 AM
You need to post the part number, the years it fits and whether this was for 4x2 or 4x4 model. Lets not leave posts half answered! =)

xcelr8
10/23/2012, 10:37 AM
yeah, it's for a 4x4...I figured everyone should know they must match that. As for part number, the one that it came with should suffice...the one written there. If not, just match on year...or visually.

RickOKC
10/23/2012, 03:57 PM
AWESOME! I nominate you for this year's forum hero!

My bro-in-law (owner of an import repair business) is going to help with a little research tomorrow to see if he can find out if they all use the same ABS module. When looking up the '05 Durango, I'm seeing there are 3 different engines, 2wd, 4wd, with and without traction control.

blacksambo
10/23/2012, 04:02 PM
Great sluething! Merlin will be miffed (Only joking, he's the first one to tell you if there is a cheaper route.).

xcelr8
10/23/2012, 04:11 PM
I'm glad you guys are interested. Here's the link I bought it from...plenty of part numbers in the photos...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170884212724?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

89Vette
10/23/2012, 10:01 PM
So when you were talking about cutting "hair-like" wires, did you actually try to pull the coils(?) from the controller? I'm assuming the "hairs" run to the pinned contact panel?

xcelr8
10/24/2012, 04:30 AM
So when you were talking about cutting "hair-like" wires, did you actually try to pull the coils(?) from the controller? I'm assuming the "hairs" run to the pinned contact panel?

No, this was once I cut the plastic panel away to try to get to those two wires that need to be resoldered. There's a pic in one of the responses. I used a dremel (someone said use a box cutter...utterly impossible, IMO). There's a gel that someone else wrote "protects" the circuit board. It does not. It keeps hair-like wires in place.

Anyway, while cutting the plastic covering to get to the circuit board, I must have cut into these wires (multiple magnifying glasses are needed to see them). They are soldered via laser.

VX4EJR
10/24/2012, 06:34 AM
OK, just to be clear...is it safe to say that the Antilock brake black plastic circuit "brain" part (as pictured in the Ebay auction xcelr8 bought) could just be unscrewed/removed in our VX's while under the hood and then replaced with a new one, such as the 05 Durango module, and that could potentially give ABS back and work?
Please, someone chime in and give feedback, details or confirmation.

blacksambo
10/24/2012, 07:07 AM
This is a great thread.

rsteinmetz70112
10/24/2012, 07:42 AM
Looking at online parts suppliers there appear to be 4 different ABS modules for the 2005 Dodge Durango 2wd, 2wd w/ traction control, 4wd, 4wd w/traction control. The part number listed above is 52113683AC and the label says 4x4. no mention of traction control. Checking further it appears this part number refers to the 4wd unit without traction control.

Although the same number is also supplied to the pump, perhaps dodge only sells them as a unit?

Someone should check with a Dodge Dealer to be sure

xcelr8
10/24/2012, 08:01 AM
OK, just to be clear...is it safe to say that the Antilock brake black plastic circuit "brain" part (as pictured in the Ebay auction xcelr8 bought) could just be unscrewed/removed in our VX's while under the hood and then replaced with a new one, such as the 05 Durango module, and that could potentially give ABS back and work?
Please, someone chime in and give feedback, details or confirmation.

MORE than "potentially." It IS working in my car right now.

xcelr8
10/24/2012, 08:05 AM
Looking at online parts suppliers there appear to be 4 different ABS modules for the 2005 Dodge Durango 2wd, 2wd w/ traction control, 4wd, 4wd w/traction control. The part number listed above is 52113683AC and the label says 4x4. no mention of traction control. Checking further it appears this part number refers to the 4wd unit without traction control.

Although the same number is also supplied to the pump, perhaps dodge only sells them as a unit?

Someone should check with a Dodge Dealer to be sure

WITHOUT traction control (at least that's what mine said in the desc.) I don't know if it's still there, but there was a new one on ebay for 249 WITH the pump. However, I did not check to see if it was without trac.

VX4EJR
10/24/2012, 08:22 AM

Well that's an added benefit...ha ha. What I meant was is this a clean plug and play swap kinda thing...couple of screws, removing the one part and replacing it with another under the hood...without soldering, touching brake fluid, etc?

VXorado
10/24/2012, 08:42 AM

Hey nice work. :thumbup:

Seems like there's only one question left... if it's the same bosche ABS unit, will it have the same failure problem?

rsteinmetz70112
10/24/2012, 08:54 AM
Since the problem is pretty well known and this unit is obviously newer, I would hope Bosch has taken steps to correct the problem.

Checking the Durango it seems to be an odd fit in terms of size for the VX, the curb weight of a Duranago is just over 5,000 lbs for the 4.7L 4WD Durango vs just under 4,000 for the VX.

I wonder if the programming is the same or nearly the same?

Can the units be reprogrammed?

Leon R
10/24/2012, 09:00 AM
That is a very good find!

But a skeptic in me finds it pretty amazing that this Durango controller is fully compatible electrically! Let me ask you this:

- Have you tried hard stops what would normally activate ABS?
- I suspect that TOD is using ABS sensors to detect wheel spin, have you done any driving that would normally activate TOD?

Finally, here is what I want to hear next: Durango Hemi engine bolts right up to the VX tranny bell housing ;)

xcelr8
10/24/2012, 09:17 AM
Well that's an added benefit...ha ha. What I meant was is this a clean plug and play swap kinda thing...couple of screws, removing the one part and replacing it with another under the hood...without soldering, touching brake fluid, etc?

Yes.

xcelr8
10/24/2012, 09:19 AM
Hey nice work. :thumbup:

Seems like there's only one question left... if it's the same bosche ABS unit, will it have the same failure problem?

That's an unknown. Methinks though, if it is newer perhaps the problem has been identified and fixed...I dunno. But for me, since I ruined my stocker, a 100 alt was perfect.

xcelr8
10/24/2012, 09:21 AM
That is a very good find!

But a skeptic in me finds it pretty amazing that this Durango controller is fully compatible electrically! Let me ask you this:

- Have you tried hard stops what would normally activate ABS?
Yes. Seems fine...but maybe someone else with more mechanical know-how would disagree.

- I suspect that TOD is using ABS sensors to detect wheel spin, have you done any driving that would normally activate TOD?

Yes.

Finally, here is what I want to hear next: Durango Hemi engine bolts right up to the VX tranny bell housing ;)

not gonna happen. The engine's not a real hemi anyway. Just get the caddy engine.

Leon R
10/24/2012, 09:28 AM
not gonna happen. The engine's not a real hemi anyway. Just get the caddy engine.

THAT is what you answer? :confused: That was a joke :bgwo: I only used a "Hemi" because we were talking about Dodge products ;)

How about functionality of ABS/TOD? Simple things like difference in calibration of ABS sensors and/or ABS pump could cause erratic ABS behavior and you wouldn’t know until you test it under different conditions!

xcelr8
10/24/2012, 09:46 AM
THAT is what you answer? :confused: That was a joke :bgwo: I only used a "Hemi" because we were talking about Dodge products ;)

How about functionality of ABS/TOD? Simple things like difference in calibration of ABS sensors and/or ABS pump could cause erratic ABS behavior and you wouldn�t know until you test it under different conditions!

my answers got caught up in your question...they're there, but in with your question.

As far as I can tell, ABS is functioning perfectly. As far as TOD, which I absolutely can tell, it is working fine.

RickOKC
10/24/2012, 06:31 PM
I called Dodge today. The guy I talked didn't seem to be very confident in his answers and he couldn't match the model number listed above in their system. (Maybe I got the new guy?!?!) He told me the rough price for a new unit is about $500 - or $600 if it is for the Durango with traction control. Again, he wasn't completely sure, but thought this was just for the control module only.

There are a few other dealers in the metro area... I'll make some more calls. :o

Hey, xcelr8 - what year is your VX? How did you get to the screws on the side closest to the fender?

xcelr8
10/24/2012, 06:47 PM
I called Dodge today. The guy I talked didn't seem to be very confident in his answers and he couldn't match the model number listed above in their system. (Maybe I got the new guy?!?!) He told me the rough price for a new unit is about $500 - or $600 if it is for the Durango with traction control. Again, he wasn't completely sure, but thought this was just for the control module only.

There are a few other dealers in the metro area... I'll make some more calls. :o

Hey, xcelr8 - what year is your VX? How did you get to the screws on the side closest to the fender?

2000. Yeah, that was beyond insane. I loosened the bracket that holds the whole thing (three screws). I removed screw on each side of pump so that the whole aseembly could be mobilised. Then it was just tilting just so, pulling just so...you CAN move the whole assembly. The plumbing will not kink or break. I practically lifted it straight up above fender line.

Hope this helps.

rsteinmetz70112
10/24/2012, 07:24 PM
I c the rough price for a new unit is about $500 - or $600 if it is for the Durango with traction control. Again, he wasn't completely sure, but thought this was just for the control module only.

There was a P in front of the number on the photo of the control unit. There are photos on eBay with the same part number on the pump.

It's a little weird.

It also leads me to wonder how many other 4 wheel vehicles use the same part.

RickOKC
10/24/2012, 08:04 PM
2000. Yeah, that was beyond insane. I loosened the bracket that holds the whole thing (three screws). I removed screw on each side of pump so that the whole aseembly could be mobilised. Then it was just tilting just so, pulling just so...you CAN move the whole assembly. The plumbing will not kink or break. I practically lifted it straight up above fender line.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, that helps tremendously! Just looking at it, I was wondering if the pipes were flexible enough to move around carefully. I know what you're talking about regarding the three bolts for the bracket and the 2 bolts that secure the entire assembly to the bracket.

There was a P in front of the number on the photo of the control unit. There are photos on eBay with the same part number on the pump.

It's a little weird.
Yeah, VERY weird. I told the (maybe newbie) parts guy the part number might-or-might-not start with "P" because I noticed the same thing. Also I think the last digits could have been either "C" or "AC" according to the eBay ad. He didn't find nuthin'.

It also leads me to wonder how many other 4 wheel vehicles use the same part.When I talked to my bro-in-law last night he didn't seem very surprised about the cross-over. He was probably exaggerating, but said there are "only 5 or 6 brains floating around out there." (Hmmm, or did he say "manufacturers"?) I'll see if he can clarify if variety is surprisingly low. :)

blacksambo
10/24/2012, 08:44 PM
Let's keep this dialog going because I truly believe we are going places with this one. Probably the biggest loss a VX can suffer is the loss of its ABS function.

89Vette
10/24/2012, 09:24 PM

What diag/proc made you decide that the controller what your issue?

Where do you have to go to read codes on ABS (or are they even readable)?

RickOKC
10/24/2012, 09:40 PM
What diag/proc made you decide that the controller what your issue?

Where do you have to go to read codes on ABS (or are they even readable)?
CLICK HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12939) to see how you can narrow down what's wrong with the ABS system (and TOD and airbag systems.) Deermagnet posted this guide on how to jumper the connections directly at the OBDII port. Unless you have the high-priced coe reader you can't see it, BUT with his guide you can simply use a short piece of wire to see the same stuff. :)

mborodi
10/25/2012, 02:52 AM
totally saved link to ebay.. Im wondering if the ABS being "out" (abs light on) would cause the "whooob whoob" noise in my right front end? yes tires all brand new (a week old) tie-rods new- a week old.. mechanic said it wasn't hub bearing.. ugh, I hate that noise! Wouldn't it be great to have a VX mechanic in every county of every state? (mine said, "Its a rodeo, isn't it?" (<<quivers letting anyone touch her, but has no choice)

xcelr8
10/25/2012, 04:37 AM
totally saved link to ebay.. Im wondering if the ABS being "out" (abs light on) would cause the "whooob whoob" noise in my right front end? yes tires all brand new (a week old) tie-rods new- a week old.. mechanic said it wasn't hub bearing.. ugh, I hate that noise! Wouldn't it be great to have a VX mechanic in every county of every state? (mine said, "Its a rodeo, isn't it?" (<<quivers letting anyone touch her, but has no choice)

I experienced this "whoob whoob" sound as well...when turning. Try to listen whenn turning. If yours is the same, having the ABS lite ON causes this (as ABS is no longer working).

BTW: I saw at least 4 other vehicles that looked EXACTLY like ours (and the Durango's). So there's a good chance others share this part....

VX KAT
10/25/2012, 10:17 AM
*** Was reading all the fine print on the ebay guy's listing FAQs.
Found this:

Do you rebuild my original part or do you send me one then I send mine back to you?
ate1234 : We request to rebuild your original controller in most cases the software that is installed in your original controller is specific to your vehicle,we do not change or alter this factory installed software coding,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110784352777?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'm contacting him to ask about the Durango-VehiCross compatibility.....
will post answer....

blacksambo
10/25/2012, 10:27 AM
Great work KAT!

xcelr8
10/25/2012, 03:56 PM
well, even if this guy says they are NOT compatible, as with our axle fix (which TWO mechanics said they would not install after I bought saying they will not fit...I installed myself) this part works. I did some hard stopping and I am convinced. TOD def. fine as well.

I think it is on the car's side. Our computer and wiring harness make the difference. The units are probably the same for a set amount of cars. it's probably the computer that tells the unit what featuires to ID. And of course, the wiring harness must have the appropriate wires.

In any event, it is working flawlessly in my ride.

blacksambo
10/25/2012, 08:38 PM
Nice to hear.

Leon R
10/25/2012, 11:29 PM
well, even if this guy says they are NOT compatible, as with our axle fix (which TWO mechanics said they would not install after I bought saying they will not fit...I installed myself) this part works. I did some hard stopping and I am convinced. TOD def. fine as well.

I think it is on the car's side. Our computer and wiring harness make the difference. The units are probably the same for a set amount of cars. it's probably the computer that tells the unit what featuires to ID. And of course, the wiring harness must have the appropriate wires.

In any event, it is working flawlessly in my ride.

I really hope that you are right! But... I still think that it is a bit premature to call it a success! You really need to test under conditions where ABS is activated! Even if you try panic stops on a dirt road, would be better than just driving it aound under non-slip conditions.

But I will agree with you that just because some book tells you that they are incompatible, it does not mean that it isn't "close enough" to work.

xcelr8
10/26/2012, 04:21 AM
I really hope that you are right! But... I still think that it is a bit premature to call it a success! You really need to test under conditions where ABS is activated! Even if you try panic stops on a dirt road, would be better than just driving it aound under non-slip conditions.

But I will agree with you that just because some book tells you that they are incompatible, it does not mean that it isn't "close enough" to work.

It is easy to activate ABS. I have and its pulsing was felt.

tropicalmaria
12/25/2012, 10:43 AM
WITHOUT traction control (at least that's what mine said in the desc.) I don't know if it's still there, but there was a new one on ebay for 249 WITH the pump. However, I did not check to see if it was without trac.

Is the ABS still working with the dodge module ? and also Im seeing that the part number you purchased off Ebay , others are listing as WITH traction control ???

VX KAT
12/25/2012, 09:44 PM
Is the ABS still working with the dodge module ? and also Im seeing that the part number you purchased off Ebay , others are listing as WITH traction control ???

Don't forget the rebuild option, $77, with life time warranty.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110784352777?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

xcelr8
12/26/2012, 04:41 AM

All's well and functioning perfectly. Kat's option is a great one too. It's probably good to note this unit was rebuilt by the seller. He offers the service as well.

The good thing about going my route is I didn't have to wait on rebuild. Unite was sent to me without exchange.

nfpgasmask
12/26/2012, 12:52 PM
Wow, ok, this is cool.

So, this is a definite FIX for the ABS light in the dash coming on and staying on?

Hmmm, I need to do some work on my VX soon.

Bart

VX KAT
12/30/2012, 07:15 AM
Anybody know if the VX will run normally if the ABS module is completely removed, to send i to the rebuild guy, other than the ABS light being on?

xcelr8
12/31/2012, 05:17 AM
Anybody know if the VX will run normally if the ABS module is completely removed, to send i to the rebuild guy, other than the ABS light being on?

I sure do. Hard turning is a jarring nightmare, though I do not know why. Other than that, there is what feels like funky shifiting when slowing and even normal driving. I hated it.

VX KAT
01/14/2013, 01:22 PM
Ebay ABS repair/rebuild guy is now down to $49…with lifetime guarantee…..and he pays shipping one way…..

tomdietrying
01/14/2013, 05:02 PM
O.K. This looks like a great fix for my ABS. Normally, how long does it take a mechanic change this out? I'm trying to figure what the total cost will be.
Thanks.
Tom

dietz99vcross
01/14/2013, 08:54 PM
So it sounds like driving without the module is not a great choice. I am not sure how many people are in my shoes and would like to get a rebuilt module in their vehicle but don't have an extra one. I would like to throw out a suggestion that if anyone has an extra module sitting around, perhaps we can start a domino run of rebuilds. My suggestion is if someone does have an extra one, I would pay a reasonable amount ($??) for them to send it to get rebuilt and sent to me, then I could replace mine and send it in to be repaired and sent to someone else, and so on and so on and so on. Perhaps each time it goes to another person the cost drops $5 (so the total cost is $49 + $5 + shipping costs) eventually everyone has a rebuild. I realize this involves trusting people, but I am willing to start the chain if someone has an extra unit and can decide on a reasonable starting price.

89Vette
01/15/2013, 07:23 AM
Great suggestion!

I gotta say it seems odd that a part that causes "fail" mode gets worse with total removal. IOW, are we really sure it can't be "normally" run w/o that controller?

VX KAT
01/15/2013, 07:26 AM
Great suggestion!

I gotta say it seems odd that a part that causes "fail" mode gets worse with total removal. IOW, are we really sure it can't be "normally" run w/o that controller?

I agree, that's a great suggestion dietz!
I think this is the first time running w/o the unit has ever been discussed, and xcelr8 is the only one that has done it (at least that posted here).

JAMAS
01/15/2013, 07:49 AM
So it sounds like driving without the module is not a great choice. I am not sure how many people are in my shoes and would like to get a rebuilt module in their vehicle but don't have an extra one. I would like to throw out a suggestion that if anyone has an extra module sitting around, perhaps we can start a domino run of rebuilds. My suggestion is if someone does have an extra one, I would pay a reasonable amount ($??) for them to send it to get rebuilt and sent to me, then I could replace mine and send it in to be repaired and sent to someone else, and so on and so on and so on. Perhaps each time it goes to another person the cost drops $5 (so the total cost is $49 + $5 + shipping costs) eventually everyone has a rebuild. I realize this involves trusting people, but I am willing to start the chain if someone has an extra unit and can decide on a reasonable starting price.

I believe I am the perfect candidate to start this domino run.....

I have 2 backups....a junk yard pull that SHOULD be working and one that I pulled out of mine and replaced with a different junk yard pull.

Little nervous to get rid of the "double safety net" that I created for myself but......I suppose its for the greater good.

Let me know whats next.

evillecutter
01/15/2013, 08:39 AM
they made cars without abs for years and they did just fine - BUT they were not controlled by computers

89Vette
01/15/2013, 11:47 AM
they made cars without abs for years and they did just fine - BUT they were not controlled by computers

True dat...but a fault condition is a fault condition. Computer control stops and manual (or even table-fed) operation takes over. With brakes, the first thought would be "normal" hydraulic function w/o the possibility of piston flutter.

On a computer controlled engine, a fault mode reverts to a manual, pre-programmed mode. Still not "manual", but independant of some/all sensor feedback. Brakes are a simpler mechanical "system".

vt_maverick
01/15/2013, 11:54 AM

This is what Sue and I did just before Moab last year. She sent a spare unit to the fix place, they fixed it and sent it overnight to me, I had my mechanic do the swap, then I sent my broken one back to her to keep as a spare. Worked great but as you say it relies on trust. What I don't think anyone needs to worry about is the repair place; they fixed the problem and had it shipped to me right away!

vt_maverick
01/15/2013, 11:57 AM
Correction, IIRC I brought it to Moab for her. Way expensive shipping method! :eek: ;)

VX KAT
01/15/2013, 01:04 PM
Correction, IIRC I brought it to Moab for her. Way expensive shipping method! :eek: ;)

:thumbup:

and I had it fixed and sold to Tysamigo (all under his name so he has the warranty)….so I don't have that one any more or I'd be able to start the domino run.

That's one point we have to be careful on…the paperwork has to be in the "receiver's" name for the lifetime warranty to apply. So while I prepared and shipped the dead units, I filled out all the paperwork with Mav's name and Ty's name.

Before I realized the name thing, I shipped another dead unit (from that "little" salvage yard project I took on this fall :rollo:)…..sent it to ASI (ebay guy) but in my name. I sold it to Bren but couldn't get ASI to change the name. So I told Bren I aint goin' nowherz, so if he has a prob, send it to me and I'll send it in.

Just curious Mav, have you gone out and tested the ABS?

vt_maverick
01/15/2013, 04:29 PM
I think I may have felt it engage once or twice but I haven't actively tested it. I'll try it out the next time we get a snow.

dietz99vcross
01/15/2013, 07:36 PM
Hey Jamas, if you and I are the start of the dominoes, I would be cool with that. I am not sure what the "value" of the double safety net is but if we can come up with a fair and reasonable price I would be fine with sending you $$$ to cover the item, shipping costs, and the cost of the repair along with my name, address and all that other important junk to forward with the unit so they assume it is mine and return it to me. I can then offer up my current unit to the next guinea pig..err domino in the chain.

VX KAT
01/15/2013, 09:10 PM
Hey Jamas, if you and I are the start of the dominoes, I would be cool with that. I am not sure what the "value" of the double safety net is but if we can come up with a fair and reasonable price I would be fine with sending you $$$ to cover the item, shipping costs, and the cost of the repair along with my name, address and all that other important junk to forward with the unit so they assume it is mine and return it to me. I can then offer up my current unit to the next guinea pig..err domino in the chain.

The form requires the VIN, so got to keep the ABS unit matched up with the right VX for the warranty.
Here's the form you complete for the repair/rebuild.
http://www.autoecu.com/upload/forms/randrformnew.pdf

dietz99vcross
01/16/2013, 06:33 PM
Alright, I was actually thinking about this at work today anyways. If I make the purchase on eBay and fill out the form and then someone else were to send in the unit after I sent them money to cover the cost of the unit and shipping expenses. Then the next person would make their purchase on eBay and I would send my old unit in after receiving their money for my unit and shipping expenses.

VX KAT
01/16/2013, 09:53 PM
Alright, I was actually thinking about this at work today anyways. If I make the purchase on eBay and fill out the form and then someone else were to send in the unit after I sent them money to cover the cost of the unit and shipping expenses. Then the next person would make their purchase on eBay and I would send my old unit in after receiving their money for my unit and shipping expenses.

That's what Mav and Tyler and I did…they bought it on ebay, ASI sends a prepaid shipping label via email, they forwarded that email to me, I boxed the unit, filled out the R&R form with all THEIR info, took box to UPS and dropped it off.

Here's the info from Mav and Tyler I needed to fill out the form.
Complete the form as if the unit came out of the RECIPIENT's VX…i.e. vehicle's mileage, VIN, name, addy:

Recipient's address

Daytime contact telephone

Mileage

VIN

Describe symptoms/failure:

ABS light on, and didn't engage when tested

PayPal ID the RECIPIENT used to "buy" their service on ebay

EBAY ITEM NUMBER : 110784352777

vt_maverick
01/27/2013, 05:09 PM
Just curious Mav, have you gone out and tested the ABS?

Confirmed in the snow Friday, ABS definitely working as it should, though probably not the way I want it to in those conditions. :noy:

tomdietrying
01/27/2013, 05:32 PM
What do you mean by ......"though probably not the way I want it to in those conditions".
Peace.
Tom

vt_maverick
01/27/2013, 08:52 PM
As in I'd rather it not kick on in the snow at all. Not fun for the pedal to go dead as you're trying to stop in the snow. ABS is great on dry or even wet pavement but I wish we had a button to disable it for winter driving.

JAMAS
01/28/2013, 10:33 AM
I dont want anyone to think I have forgotten about this....

....I just dont know what exactly I need to do. When someone is ready, please give me the specifics and I will be happy to facilitate whatever is needed.

VX KAT
01/28/2013, 11:34 AM
I dont want anyone to think I have forgotten about this....

....I just dont know what exactly I need to do. When someone is ready, please give me the specifics and I will be happy to facilitate whatever is needed.

Whenever somebody is ready to do this:

1) They "buy" it on ebay

2) Buyer fills out all info on ASI R&R form:
http://www.autoecu.com/upload/forms/randrformnew.pdf

Need to do this as if it came out of buyer's VX…so use buyer's mileage and VIN. (anybody know what's causing these stray characters almost every time I use a comma or more than one period?)

Buyer address:
Daytime contact telephone:
Mileage:
VIN:
Describe symptoms/failure: ABS light on, didn't engage when tried.
PayPal ID BUYER used to "buy" their service on ebay
EBAY ITEM NUMBER : 110784352777

3) ASI emails shipping label to buyer in #1, BUYER forwards that to JAMAS. (Tyler and I had a heck of a time getting it transmitted via email to me…so be aware of that)

4) JAMAS packages up ABS unit, applies pre-paid label, drops off at UPS.

Anybody ready to start this?

JAMAS
01/28/2013, 11:45 AM
That makes sense.

Do we already have a predetermined "circle" of repairs? When this is all said and done, I want to have a repaired one returned to me following the procedure Sue listed (meaning I would still pay and everything). I am great with being the last one in line though because I do not have another broken one to contribute and thus would end the chain.

dietz99vcross
01/28/2013, 04:56 PM
Jamas, If you are ready to start the process I am ready as well. If I am the only one, then I would send mine in after getting your installed. Let me know how much is a fair amount to send you to cover the cost of the original unit. Then I will start the chain.

Thanks - Mike

JAMAS
01/29/2013, 08:09 AM
Jamas, If you are ready to start the process I am ready as well. If I am the only one, then I would send mine in after getting your installed. Let me know how much is a fair amount to send you to cover the cost of the original unit. Then I will start the chain.

Thanks - Mike

Well, if its just me and you, then we can just basically swap.

I will send mine in for repair for you (per Sue's instructions) then when you are swapped out, you will send in yours for me.

I will then have a working backup. If someone else's breaks down I can always send out the working one while the other person is having theirs repaired. I would then get the repaired one sent to me.

dietz99vcross
01/29/2013, 09:00 AM
Alright, just one last thing before I make the eBay purchase. The listing is for a 2000-2002 Trooper ABS system. Is my 1999 Vehicross going to be the same?
If so I will make the purchase as soon as someone can confirm it will work.

On a positive note it looks like the price is down to $49.

VX KAT
01/29/2013, 09:30 AM
Ebay ABS repair/rebuild guy is now down to $49…with lifetime guarantee…..and he pays shipping one way…..

Alright, just one last thing before I make the eBay purchase. The listing is for a 2000-2002 Trooper ABS system. Is my 1999 Vehicross going to be the same?
If so I will make the purchase as soon as someone can confirm it will work.

On a positive note it looks like the price is down to $49.

I've written and corresponded with ASI several times getting confirmation he can do our VX unit. He has SPECIFICALLY said he can do it, regardless of what the ebay listing title is. He's also done 3 of the VXs on this forum, and VT_Maverick did post he tested his and it worked. I know both tysamigo and myself used the "Trooper" ebay listing to get it fixed, no problem.

Oh he also told me he only needs the black part of the module, not the heavy silver part…but I sent the entire thing in, it was just easier.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSCN8850.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/DSCN8862.jpg

Here's some emails:

On Jun 7, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Technical wrote:

Hi Sue
We do and can rebuild this module ,
We only need the upper abs electronic module for the repair
Repair cost is $99.00 , Includes our Lifetime Warranty plus shipping.
To ship to us, visit our website www.autoecu.com, click the forms tab, then click the R&R form, complete all the needed information, Package your part well and ship to our address on the form. If you would like to contact us our toll free for U.S. & Canada is 1-866-983-6688
Thank You
A.S.I.
212 East Washington St.
Rogersville, Tn.37857

On Jun 20, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Technical wrote:
Hi Sue,
?* ?*We have several thousand of this same type abs Module, This Design is used on many ?*other Makes and Model Automobiles, We will have no problem rebuilding this abs Module.
?* Thank You
?* ?* Don

Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 12:06 PM
To: <email address removed per policy>
Subject: Other: purple.kat1 sent a message about ISUZU TROOPER 00 01 02 4X4 ABS #110784352777

Dear ate1234,

hi-

i contacted you many months ago about rebuilding the ABS module for my ISUZU VEHICROSS. Do you still offer that rebuild as I don't see the Vehicross listed and not sure if it's the same as a Trooper?

Also...approx what's your turn around time?

Thanks

- purple.kat1
Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

ISUZU TROOPER 00 01 02 4X4 ABS
Item Id: 110784352777
End time: Apr-26-12 09:23:51 PDT
Seller:
ate1234 (6357)
99.9% Positive Feedback
Member since Apr-29-02 in United States
Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was active.

On April 16, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Technical wrote:

Dear purple.kat1,

Hi
If your vehicle year is within this range
SLX 98-99
VEHICROSS 99-01
TROOPER 98-99
TROOPER 00-02

Then you can use this Listing for the Buy it Now

To ship to us, visit our website www. autoecu. com, click the forms tab, then click the R&R form, complete all the needed information,
At our website, you can signup and login to receive current Part status information, including arrival,, outbound tracking info , You can ask questions and receive answers from the Tech that is working on your module
Please Package your part well and ship to our address on the form. If you would like to contact us our toll free for U.S. & Canada is 1 –866 -983- 6688
For Removal Instructions or Technical information,
Please visit our website and click the " Tech Tab" or Email Tech @ autoecu .com
Our Website is Smart Phone Friendly!
Thank You
A.S.I.
5168 Hwy 11W
Rogersville, Tn.37857

dietz99vcross
01/29/2013, 03:20 PM
Just made the purchase. Let the repairs begin.

JAMAS
01/30/2013, 06:47 AM
This HAS to be the definition of irony......

.....my ABS light just turned on last night.

tom4bren
01/30/2013, 07:29 AM
This HAS to be the definition of irony......

.....my ABS light just turned on last night.

Sounds about right. My passenger window regulator went out less than 30 days after I replaced the drivers side.

Before you swap out the module though, try to 'exercise' the ABS. Find a lonely country road or empty parking lot (dirt or gravel would be best) & try to lock up the brakes. That actually worked for me in the past (once anyway).

JAMAS
01/30/2013, 07:31 AM
I will try that.

I wont be replacing it until after Dietz sends his in for repair after receiving my repair, so I should have some time to give that a shot.

This is my second ABS module so it wasn't surprising or concerning when it happened. Just frustrating. I hope this repair makes it last longer than just swapping out for a junk yard model. Definitely a good reason not to buy one new.

dietz99vcross
02/18/2013, 03:51 PM
Big shout out to Jamas for helping me out. The sun came out today and it made it up to 40 degrees so I swapped out the abs unit Jamas sent to get rebuilt and forwarded to me. Twenty minutes to swap it out, and who knows how many years of that stupid abs light being on ended. Of course the warm weather killed all the snow, but more is coming tonight so tomorrow I will test it in real world terms. Now I will send my unit back to get rebuilt and forward it on to Jamas.

Thanks - Mike

VX KAT
02/18/2013, 04:00 PM
Big shout out to Jamas for helping me out. The sun came out today and it made it up to 40 degrees so I swapped out the abs unit Jamas sent to get rebuilt and forwarded to me. Twenty minutes to swap it out, and who knows how many years of that stupid abs light being on ended. Of course the warm weather killed all the snow, but more is coming tonight so tomorrow I will test it in real world terms. Now I will send my unit back to get rebuilt and forward it on to Jamas.

Thanks - Mike

:thumbup: Glad this is working out.

Anybody next in line?

FYI - I confirmed today with ASI the $49 is thru ebay only. It's $99 if you go direct to ASI.

JAMAS
02/19/2013, 02:55 AM
I am going to purchase today and get my process started.

Anyone after me?

dietz99vcross
02/21/2013, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know if I need to, and if so how, bleed the brakes after swapping out the abs module? With the five lines all just threaded in I see no way to bleed unless it is at the wheel.

nfpgasmask
02/21/2013, 06:34 PM
Isn't that how you bleed brakes? At each wheel starting from the one farthest from the master cylinder?

Bart

fuzzy
02/21/2013, 10:58 PM
I am going to purchase today and get my process started.

Anyone after me?

I might be. Getting TOD fixed first, but ABS light has been on for about a year now and when dealership said $4000 for an ABS module, I knew that was a non-starter.

Mile High VX
02/22/2013, 07:29 AM
Does anyone know if I need to, and if so how, bleed the brakes after swapping out the abs module? With the five lines all just threaded in I see no way to bleed unless it is at the wheel.

The shop manual says that after reinstallation you must bleed the brakes completely.

After installing the hydraulic unit, bleed brakes
completely. Refer to Bleeding Brake Hydraulic
System in this section.

It's in section 5C-9 and is quite extensive.

JAMAS
02/22/2013, 07:31 AM
the last time I replaced my abs unit I bled the brakes. I also had new calipers installed, but I would think you are introducing air to the system so bleeding them would be a good idea.

JAMAS
02/22/2013, 07:33 AM
I might be. Getting TOD fixed first, but ABS light has been on for about a year now and when dealership said $4000 for an ABS module, I knew that was a non-starter.

I will let you know when I replace my current ABS unit with the repaired ABS unit. $59 is definitely a better price than a new unit that could fail again. From what I understand the repaired module will have thicker wire and better solder.

MSHardeman
02/22/2013, 09:30 AM
Definitely look at the brake bleeding procedure for the VX. It's a little different from other cars that I have done before. The short version is that you are supposed to pull the ABS fuse and bleed the brakes with the engine running.

dietz99vcross
02/22/2013, 06:05 PM
Jamas, I would be curious when you get the rebuild in to see if the wiring on the bottom of unit is beefier than the original. I noticed this on mine, but thought it might just be a variance in manufacturing.

rollingmoss
02/23/2013, 07:39 AM
Hello, I own the pearl white VX. The ABS light just came on, and I was given the bad news that it will cost $4,000 to replace. Based on what I've read, it seems that there are several much less expensive options. Is there any consensus on the best approach to reducing the financial impact? Are there any problems associated with just driving as is? Thanks for this potential great news.

Leon R
02/23/2013, 08:41 AM
First of all, you do not need ABS. Many people prefer to drive without it. This especially true about ABS designed in the 90's, which weren't all that great even when it worked "welll". The trick is in being able drive it now like a non-ABS car!

Second, any mechanic who is ofering to fix ABS for $4000 on a car that is worth $6000-$8000, is not looking out his customer's best interest. Most mechanics are aware about cheap rebuild options for many electronic components. Good mechanics will offer it to you, lazy mechanics will not want to wait for the rebuilt cycle (or deal with redoing the job if the rebuild unit fails) and they would offer the crazy, new OEM price! I would stay away from such lazy mechanics...

As for a cheaper solution, this forum has everything you need to know to come up with it ;)

Mile High VX
02/23/2013, 09:13 AM
Hello, I own the pearl white VX. The ABS light just came on, and I was given the bad news that it will cost $4,000 to replace. Based on what I've read, it seems that there are several much less expensive options. Is there any consensus on the best approach to reducing the financial impact? Are there any problems associated with just driving as is? Thanks for this potential great news.

In this thread go to post #49 and read from there. My ABS is out as well and like has been said does not affect the driveability of the vehicle. I almost pulled it yesterday and sent it off, but with snow coming I'll need it this weekend. I do plan on having my unit rebuilt in the near future.

vt_maverick
02/23/2013, 12:52 PM

Dude I'm so sorry to hear that, if I were you I'd just let me take your damaged VX off your hands. :naughty: :D

VX KAT
02/25/2013, 12:16 AM

For $49 and a lifetime warranty, and now several owners have had this same company do it and it works, I can't see any down side. Isuzu currently lists the ABS module at about $2,900 for a new one. :freek:

Didn't realize you've had your VX so long. I'm just curious, are you original owner or how'd it find it's way into your garage? How many miles do you have on it?

Any pics you could post? :thumbup:

Just went to the Petersen museum in Los Angeles on Saturday and saw the VX-02. Was great to see!

rollingmoss
02/26/2013, 07:01 AM
Yes, I bought the VX new in Denver in late 2002, and have really enjoyed it, especially since my wife HATES it. Oh well, small victories. Currently it has about 93K on the clock, and has been pretty much trouble free.

I'm going to my mechanic this morning to see if he will remove the ABS unit and replace it when I get it back. I am not now nor have I ever been mechanically inclined, so trying to do this myself is out of the question.

VX KAT
02/26/2013, 08:02 AM
I'm going to my mechanic this morning to see if he will remove the ABS unit and replace it when I get it back. I am not now nor have I ever been mechanically inclined, so trying to do this myself is out of the question.

**Before you have the module removed*** read this:
I know it's a lot of reading, but worth it!
I asked if there's any difference driving w/o the MODULE. See post #47 in this thread. "xcelr8" said there was definitely a difference, hard turning was a "jarring nightmare".
** Remember we're not talking about if it's better to have ABS function or not, but simply if there's any difference when the ABS MODULE is removed.**

A better idea for you is to get yours into the "domino run" thing several here are doing. Starts at post #47. "Mile High VX" recommended the same thing.
Basically it's so no one has to drive W/O the MODULE, as it doesn't drive the same w/o it.

Some one with a spare unit sent it to be rebuilt, but the next guy actually pays for the service and once he receives the rebuilt one, he sends in his dead unit to be rebuilt for the next in line. …etc…etc….

Post #64 has the details. Ask "JAMAS" (Jon) where he is with his.

Rebuild service on ebay:

JAMAS
02/26/2013, 08:07 AM
I am waiting for mine to arrive back from the repair place. According to UPS it should arrive tomorrow. The turnaround time on these are pretty great!

I believe Fuzzy is next in line, however. You will have to contact him after he gets his fixed.

SilverBullet75
02/26/2013, 03:54 PM
Jamas,
Keep us updated as to the results.
Really curious to see how many positive reviews there are on the service.
Thanks!

rollingmoss
02/26/2013, 10:14 PM
How much time should it take to remove and reinstall the unit upon rebuild. And what is the estimated module rebuild turnaround time?

Thanks for the information bestowed in the earlier posts.

VX KAT
02/26/2013, 11:03 PM
How much time should it take to remove and reinstall the unit upon rebuild. And what is the estimated module rebuild turnaround time?

Thanks for the information bestowed in the earlier posts.

Can't help you on the removal/install times as I used a unit I bought from another owner here, and one from a salvage yard VX, but I'm sure one of the others will answer.

The two units I've sent in had a turnaround of about 16 days MAX. One unit I sent they had to do more testing until they ID'd the problem, took a few extra days.
They pay for shipping one way, and you can have them use a faster delivery for the return, you just have to pay for it.

Another way you can do it is to find a salvage yard ABS unit, and send that in (with YOUR VIN and ID). I'm not sure how much just the ABS module should be from a salvage yard as I bought it in a bundle of parts, so no individual price.

tom4bren
02/27/2013, 05:22 AM
moss,

You'll just be removing the electronics portion from the top of the ABS module so it should be pretty quick as far as actual time under the hood. You don't need to (or want to) remove the hydraulic portion.

JAMAS or etlsport should be able tell you how long it takes to R&R the electronics portion.

Tom

JAMAS
02/27/2013, 05:59 AM
moss,

You'll just be removing the electronics portion from the top of the ABS module so it should be pretty quick as far as actual time under the hood. You don't need to (or want to) remove the hydraulic portion.

JAMAS or etlsport should be able tell you how long it takes to R&R the electronics portion.

Tom

The last two times I have replaced the module, I have replaced the whole thing. I even sent in the complete abs module to have it repaired. Its very straight forward to remove and reinstall. However, a brake bleed is where the extra work comes in.

As for turnaround time.....

dietz99vcross sent in his for my repair on 2/20/13.....UPS has it scheduled to be delivered to me today 2/27/13. One week from ship to receive. Thats pretty darn good.

workmeistr
02/27/2013, 04:29 PM
Sue, one only needs to send in the plastic ABS module for the eBay repair, correct? That saves shipping the heavy aluminum distro block and a bleed. If you unbolt the distro block from its mount which is bolted to the inner fender, then unbolt the mount, too, you can move the chunk into position to unbolt the plastic ABS module from the aluminum distro block, all without disturbing the brake lines.:rotate:

VX KAT
02/27/2013, 05:15 PM
Sue, one only needs to send in the plastic ABS module for the eBay repair, correct? That saves shipping the heavy aluminum distro block and a bleed.

Correct, ASI only needs us to send the electronics part of module but I didn't want to mess with it either, so I just sent in the entire thing. Yes, realize it cost more for shipping that chunk-o-metal.

Did you install yours yet Bren?

workmeistr
02/27/2013, 06:18 PM
Yep, I'm installed and all's well. How far down on the list is rollingmoss? I had planned to send my old one in to get rebuilt. I'll be $300 into my rebuilt unit once rebuilt.

My ABS serves me well driving to work before the snow plows finish up on my 30 min. drive. It makes stopping on snow and ice happen in a shorter distance. I grew up here driving a rear wheel drive pre-ABS car. I would recommend ABS for winter and for wet hydroplane stopping, but to each their own.

dietz99vcross
02/27/2013, 07:56 PM
Actual shipping costs were covered by ASI. Both Jamas and myself sent in the entire unit which weighs in at 7 pounds as opposed to the 3 pounds listed for the electronic unit only. Since ASI emails you a preprinted shipping label it is all covered in the original cost. I also e-mailed them before shipping it out and they confirmed this for me

JAMAS
02/28/2013, 06:38 AM
yes. To be clear. $49 includes to and from shipping.

They also either cleaned, powder coated, or replaced the metal portion of the module. The thing looks BRAND NEW! I confirmed with dietz99vcross that his was the same.

So I would highly recommend sending in the whole unit for them to clean up for you.

I will take a side by side picture of the newly repaired module next to the replaced module when I do the swap.

rollingmoss
04/08/2013, 05:28 PM
FInally got the abs controller received from Scientific installed, and it works well. Thanks for the heads up on the rebuild option!

Ren

mrtew
11/15/2013, 10:48 AM
So are you guys all glad that you're getting the ABS working again? I really didn't like mine because it always cut my brakes off almost completely on bumpy roads just when I needed it most but now I only drive my VX in the winter and I am thinking of getting the ABS fixed. Sometimes when the road is a slippery I do go a little sideways so it seems like it might be the safe thing to do but then someone mentioned that he does NOT like ABS in the snow so I can't decide whether to keep driving without ABS or get it repaired. Was it worth it? Do you like it now that you have it back? Was the dash light the main reason you fixed it or was it for safety or for winter or what?

disasterlady
05/02/2014, 09:11 PM
Anybody got any feedback on how this process and the rebuild is working for them?
Do we know if the original $49 deal is still holding?
thanks, Disasterlady

VX KAT
05/02/2014, 09:19 PM
Anybody got any feedback on how this process and the rebuild is working for them?
Do we know if the original $49 deal is still holding?
thanks, Disasterlady

Hi Julie!!

Same company offering it on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISUZU-TROOPER-00-01-02-4X4-ABS-/110784352777?pt=Automotive_Services&hash=item19cb431209&vxp=mtr

It's listed as a Trooper, but we've already confirmed that's no problem.

Also, I see he has it listed at $68.99, but he previously told me he'd honor the $49.99 if you write him and mention the Vehicross group.

blacksambo
05/02/2014, 10:56 PM
Thanks Sue.

What ever happened to the Dodge Durango option?????

Mile High VX
05/03/2014, 05:31 AM

thanks, Disasterlady

I have a few months and a few thousand miles since the rebuild. Everything is work great so far.

I'm really please with the decision to rebuild the unit and the process was very easy and only took about 10 days.

dietz99vcross
05/03/2014, 07:08 PM
Its been more than a year on mine and I am happy with the abs, there are days that I think the rebuilt unit is better than before. I like many hated the abs when and felt the pedal was way to quick to give the vibrating feedback. Since the rebuild I must say I feel the braking is much more progressive, but it is probably just my wishful thinking and grandmotherly driving.

JAMAS
05/05/2014, 09:09 AM
I finally got around to installing this last week. Glad to hear that everyone is happy with the rebuilt unit. I will be giving it a good test on my 3k mile total trip with MOAB.

VX4EJR
05/12/2014, 08:43 AM
Hi Julie!!

Same company offering it on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISUZU-TROOPER-00-01-02-4X4-ABS-/110784352777?pt=Automotive_Services&hash=item19cb431209&vxp=mtr

It's listed as a Trooper, but we've already confirmed that's no problem.

Also, I see he has it listed at $68.99, but he previously told me he'd honor the $49.99 if you write him and mention the Vehicross group.

Ok, so I contacted this seller the other day...email and phone....no knowledge of a Vehicross or doing this service for Vehicross owners, price was quoted at $100 but they weren't exactly sure, Trooper listing was for a different vehicle and could not be used for a Vehicross (whatever that is..lol) and kind of left me with that not so confident feeling about doing this. Waiting to hear back on specifics from their "sales" department, because I wanted more definitive info, just confusing.

TonyVX
12/16/2014, 01:47 PM
Ah Geez! I read this entire thread and get all jazzed about getting the ABS module rebuilt and then VX4EJR leaves me hanging on a cliff!!

Has anyone heard anything else since last May? If not, I'll ping ASI to find out.

VX KAT
12/16/2014, 03:56 PM
Ah Geez! I read this entire thread and get all jazzed about getting the ABS module rebuilt and then VX4EJR leaves me hanging on a cliff!!

Has anyone heard anything else since last May? If not, I'll ping ASI to find out.

Just an FYI....

Another ABS thread discussing rebuilding module, See Posts #57 -#67
:http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14200&highlight=ABS&page=2

Here's another ABS thread where a VX owner used this company for the ABS rebuild as recently as 2 months ago for $69:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=26132&highlight=abs

ASI = American Scientific in Rogersville, TN

Ebay ID: ate1234 = American Scientific

Global Solutions = ASI American Scientific

Here's the CURRENT listing on ebay for ASI but under the "Global Solutions" name:
EVEN THOUGH IT SAYS TROOPER, THEY'LL DO IT FOR THE VX, AND MENTION THE VEHICROSS GROUP
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISUZU-TROOPER-00-01-02-ABS-MODULE-EBCM-REPAIR-SERVICE-READ-LISTING-/131241905183?pt=Automotive_Services&hash=item1e8ea08c1f

TonyVX
12/16/2014, 05:34 PM
Sweet! Thanks!

Cable Bob
12/17/2014, 07:27 PM
This is probably a newb question but if you remove that module can you still drive while the module sent off to be rebuilt? It's not working any way so it shouldn't matter, but have to ask.

VX KAT
12/18/2014, 03:45 AM
This is probably a newb question but if you remove that module can you still drive while the module sent off to be rebuilt? It's not working any way so it shouldn't matter, but have to ask.

Start reading posts #62 - 77
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14200&highlight=ABS&page=2

ron234
05/12/2015, 06:38 AM
Looks like it's gone. Does anyone knows other source?

VX KAT
05/12/2015, 09:45 AM
Looks like it's gone. Does anyone knows other source?

They've been very cooperative. Just contact and tell them you're part of the same "Isuzu group with a Vehicross" and want to get the ABS rebuilt for the same price of around $69.99.

I know they did it for somebody else in the past. He told me they don't care if it says Trooper, they definitely can do the VX unit.

Here's their website:
http://www.autoecu.com
1-866-983-6688

EMAIL:
tech@autoecu.com

ron234
05/13/2015, 05:36 AM
VX KAT,
Question: I just got VX a week ago and besides torn outer boots on both sides and leaks all over(cannot lower driver window also), I got ABS light on. How can you check if it's sensors or ABS unit?
Another q: I will replace timing belt(no history on VX), what is the better timing belt kit you would recommend? (I found TKH012 on Rock Auto for $204, but not sure if it has Japanese/Korean part (not Chinese).

Thank you

jmayer40
05/16/2015, 07:52 PM
Rockauto is a great place for parts. I always get great deals there. Always look for the Hearts at end of description for parts. usually the most ordered.

ron234
05/18/2015, 05:27 AM
Thank you jmayer40!
Another question: would ABS speed sensor from Trooper will fit/work for VX?
http://www.2040-parts.com/new-left-front-abs-wheel-speed-sensor-for-1997-2002-isuzu-trooper-8971323081-i448432/
Speed sensor part number is exact. 8971323081 - Speed sensor

Ron

VX KAT
05/18/2015, 09:02 AM
VX KAT,
Question: I just got VX a week ago and besides torn outer boots on both sides and leaks all over(cannot lower driver window also), I got ABS light on. How can you check if it's sensors or ABS unit?
Another q: I will replace timing belt(no history on VX), what is the better timing belt kit you would recommend? (I found TKH012 on Rock Auto for $204, but not sure if it has Japanese/Korean part (not Chinese).

Thank you

Get a code reader like ScanGaugeII (about $100+ or so) it will tell you if code is ABS sensor. I know most owners had ABS light go off after fixing the ABS module.

Save you a ton of time, this post gives all OBDII codes:
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia&op=viewarticle&id=39

Def read this thread about changing CV boots and trashing the ABS sensor in the process:
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=232634&postcount=10

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20650

Yes, ABS sensor from a Trooper will fit VX. I got my sensor from a '98 Trooper.

I didn't have to do my TB, but I recall reading several people were happy with a TB kit on ebay. I know "PK" got a kit and was very happy with quality....Here's the thread on it: SEE POST #5
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=296432#post296432

Here's a FANTASTIC thread by Bart, step-by-step How To to change TB:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14485&highlight=timing

Thread on some tips to avoid when changing TB:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20586&highlight=grill+insert

ron234
05/19/2015, 02:25 PM
Thank you, VX KAT
I will try slowly to restore VX (doing for my wife). I want her to have good car.
http://tinypic.com/r/2lw1xy9/8
Ron

ron234
05/19/2015, 02:34 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/2lw1xy9.jpg
Ron

ron234
05/19/2015, 02:36 PM
Upper/lower ball joint is Moog, so is tie rod (still to be replaced)
More to follow.
Do I need to go to different thread?
Ron

VX KAT
04/26/2016, 08:35 AM
Since all the old links are dead, and I came across this thread, thought I'd attach it.
"How To" REMOVE/REPLACE ABS MODULE written up by etlsport.

http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/14388-replacing-the-ABS-module

eternal21
03/13/2020, 08:13 PM
Just thought I'd touch on this as it's been a bit. My ABS light was on for years, and I found this thread, and purchased the Dodge Durango unit. Following along with this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/20662-Alleged-ABS-unit-FIX-described

I simply separated the 2 halves, and swapped the black part with all the internals. I didn't spray anything, clean anything, etc. Just carefully straight swapped the pieces, and the ABS light immediately went off, and has been off for over 10K miles. The great part is that you can maneuver the entire unit upwards so that you don't have to disconnect the brake lines.

Cheers!

Mile High VX
03/14/2020, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the update. I had mine rebuilt with the same results. I found that you can drive the VX with the module removed and everything still worked fine for me.