Width
9.0”

Bolt Pattern
6-135.0mm

Offset

??

Triathlete
10/17/2012, 07:23 PM
The center bore is also important info...

VX KAT
10/17/2012, 07:41 PM
whew, 9" wide on stock....lots of BFH :smack::smack::smack:

The 1999 VehiCROSS has 245/70R16 Bridgestone Duelers mounted on 16", 5 spoke aluminum alloy wheels.

2000, 2001 VehiCROSS use 245/60R18 Bridgestone Duelers mounted on 18", 18x7JJ, 5 spoke chromed, aluminum alloy wheels.

Offset = 38.0mm (1.50in)

Stud pattern = 139.7mm (5.50in)

Good thread on it:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13540&highlight=108

xtrmes
10/17/2012, 10:15 PM
6x135 fits a Dodge Dakota

Gussie2000
10/18/2012, 05:07 PM
I am running 20x9,5'' rims on a stock VX.

Center bore is 108

JMNY
10/20/2012, 07:20 AM
I have no idea what any of this means? :(

Diameter - Good
18.0”

Width - Good
9.0”

Bolt Pattern - I guess this starts my confusion.....
6-135.0mm

Offset This makes me really confused

I dont want to lift my VX and I dont want my tires sticking out. So I AM THINKING THE offset makes them stick out??? The higher or lower number works in which way.......

As always - thank you in advance.

VX KAT
10/20/2012, 08:42 AM
Here's a good visual interactive chart:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

OEM size on the 16" is 245/70-16, +38 offset
OEM size on the 18" is 245/60-18, +38 offset

Play around with the interactive chart and see how the dfferent numbers change the sizing.

The offset is important because it moves the wheel farther outward, or farther inward. If you think about how that would affect the FRONT wheels when turning.

I just bought some -2 rims, so they will be sticking out further. When the fronts turn, you can see how they'll hit the fender well so I have to get the wheel well trimmed a fair amount.

Keep in mind the width of the rim (you're looking at 9", OEM is 7") and again think of how a wider rim would affect the turning on the fronts....and then offset added onto to that formula, and you can see how the rubbing will be come an issue. The wheel wells can be , um....modified...with some cutting/trimming, and some good hammering to move the one bolt farther back.

There's a bit more to it, so I'm sure one of the others will give you more info.

PK
10/20/2012, 01:26 PM
With the stud pattern you have quoted, the wheels will not fit.
In one of Sue's quotes above, the VX is quoted as "Stud pattern = 139.7mm (5.50in)".
This is the diameter of the circle that would pass through the middle of all 6 studs on the hub.
You have quoted the wheels as having 6 - 135, which means 6 studs at 135mm dia.
Definitely will not fit, forget the rest of it.
Unless you can get the counterbore and stud pattern to match, you go nowhere.

PK

Ldub
10/20/2012, 04:38 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/0001_wheel_offset.gif

vt_maverick
10/20/2012, 05:31 PM
whew, 9" wide on stock....lots of BFH :smack::smack::smack:

Wheel width isn't a factor in anything other than weight (thicker rim = more weight obviously). It's the offset/backspacing and tire width/height that really matter since those are the dimensions that determine the swing arc. If he ran 245's on these (not possible due to bolt pattern but hypothetically) I bet he would have to do little to no trimming at all, even with the 13mm less offset. If he ran a bigger tire sure, but again it's the tire size making the difference, not the wheel.

Vendetta
10/21/2012, 08:31 AM
Wheel width isn't a factor in anything other than weight (thicker rim = more weight obviously). It's the offset/backspacing and tire width/height that really matter since those are the dimensions that determine the swing arc. If he ran 245's on these (not possible due to bolt pattern but hypothetically) I bet he would have to do little to no trimming at all, even with the 13mm less offset. If he ran a bigger tire sure, but again it's the tire size making the difference, not the wheel.

But Mav, you can't just dismiss wholesale wheel width as a factor in fitment. It's the base measurement that the offset and the consequent backspacing act on. So starting with the right width is important. Then adding tire sizing to that determines the swing arc, the violation of which by the cladding and other bits determines how big of a BFH need to be employed. :smilewink

That said, I don't think the OP will have any issue finding a good fit with a 18x9" rim, provided the tires' overall diameter is respected and kept within reason - to your point.

-V

mdwyer
10/22/2012, 06:26 PM
I have no idea what any of this means? :(
Diameter - Good
Width - Good
Bolt Pattern - I guess this starts my confusion.....
6-135.0mm
Offset This makes me really confused

The diameter is how big around the metal wheel is. This has to match the tire. The factory wheels are 16" on the early ones, and 18" on the later ones.

The width also matches the tire, but there appears to be quite a bit of wiggle room here. The bolt pattern in pretty much set in stone. If the bolt pattern doesn't match exactly, the wheels simply doesn't fit. There are six bolts and they sit on a circle 139.7mm wide. Yours say 135mm. They won't fit at all. Dead stop. Do not continue. Do not pass go. Game over.

The center bore -- the size of the big hole in the middle -- is 100mm. Almost all aftermarket wheels are 108mm, which depending on who you ask is okay or terribad. For what it is worth, a lot of us (myself included) are running 108mm center bores and the wheels haven't fallen off yet. The consensus appears to be that it is okay and you don't need spacers.

The Offset is how far the tires will stick out. The factory wheels are +38mm. I went with +20, and they stick out a little... However, my only other option was +10 which would have been worse. Changing the offset dramatically can change the handling.

The BFH people keep mentioning is a Big Frickin' Hammer. Almost every tire larger than the factory will require some modifications to the body. At the very least, some trimming of the black cladding at the front of the front wheel. At the worst, you have to trim away some metal behind the front wheel. Jeeperkate has a GREAT writeup on trimming here (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=255637&postcount=42). Your VX's previous owner may have already made the cuts, too.

Some tire sizes will require you to do a (relatively simple and cheap) lift. Note that changing the diameter of the tire will also make the odometer and spedometer show the wrong distance/speed.

For what it is worth, even if you get all the numbers right, you might still run out of luck. The wheels I got (Enkei Grab6 - 18 x 8.5 wheel - 6x139.7mm bolts, 108.5 bore - Offset 20) should be totally fine. But I had to do some creative stuff with the hub bolts before they fit.

Baldwin
11/11/2012, 09:58 AM
Here's a good visual interactive chart:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

OEM size on the 16" is 245/70-16, +38 offset
OEM size on the 18" is 245/60-18, +38 offset

Play around with the interactive chart and see how the dfferent numbers change the sizing.

The offset is important because it moves the wheel farther outward, or farther inward. If you think about how that would affect the FRONT wheels when turning.

I just bought some -2 rims, so they will be sticking out further. When the fronts turn, you can see how they'll hit the fender well so I have to get the wheel well trimmed a fair amount.

Keep in mind the width of the rim (you're looking at 9", OEM is 7") and again think of how a wider rim would affect the turning on the fronts....and then offset added onto to that formula, and you can see how the rubbing will be come an issue. The wheel wells can be , um....modified...with some cutting/trimming, and some good hammering to move the one bolt farther back.

There's a bit more to it, so I'm sure one of the others will give you more info.

Good website. That answers my questions too. I think the tireshop ordered the wrong offset for me.