PDA

View Full Version : Where should I live???

eblank
10/14/2012, 10:45 PM
This is kinda random, but since this is a pretty geographically diverse group here I figured I'd ask y'all. I'm finishing Mechanical Engineering school in the spring, and at this point have no idea where I want to find a job. I went in to college with the idea of going into automotive, but since I've always got projects to work on at home, I'm no longer dead set on that idea. So really, I don't have a specific field I want to get in to, just something interesting and a good work environment. AND, I WANT TO LIVE SOMEWHERE COOL! I'm from WI, which is nice, and my wife is from IL, which is not, but we want to go somewhere else, at least for a few years. Thinking CO, WA, maybe CA, or even east coast direction, but really open to anything. (thinking mountains and/or oceans/lakes) We're big on the outdoors.

SO, I am looking for ANY and ALL opinions and thoughts. Think your state is cool? wish you could have lived somewhere in particular? or know of a dream company? just looking to grow my knowledge base. your input is appreciated! :yesb:

ND92
10/14/2012, 11:44 PM
How about Calgary Alberta? We've got the stampede every year. Mountains only 20 min away. We have 7 ski resorts that are just as close. The bow river and nose hill park. Kananaskis provincial park with hikeing trails, bike trails, mountain climbing, white water rafting, tons of lakes, scuba diving. Banff national park with hot springs and hike/bike trails. And all year camping everywhere.

Rampage108
10/15/2012, 12:49 AM
wa. near so much outdoors. boeing company

Breezy
10/15/2012, 05:34 AM
Lockheed Martin. Missile and air defense. Orlando, FL.

I had a roommate co-op with Kimberly-Clark near Seattle, WA. He loved that. Nice company too.

vt_maverick
10/15/2012, 06:09 AM
Don't know much about the ME field but as far as places to live Colorado and Utah seem to be pretty nice, I've always said if I ever moved out west it would probably be Boulder. As far as East Coast Asheville, NC and Blacksburg, VA are both cool places to live with easy access to hiking, skiing, white water rafting, etc. Also Research Triangle Park (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) area in NC is great for jobs and graduate school opportunities and is a stones throw from the Outer Banks (see my gallery for pics). The Uwharrie National Forest is not too far from there either, that's where Marlin, Joe Darlington, and a slew of other 'Zu folks go offroading several times a year (most notably Halowharrie this month).

Btw my wife is from Wisconsin (near Chippewa Falls) and she loves the mountains where we live (Asheville would be the same). You get the full range of seasons without the massive humidity of the East Coast or Southeast. If you have the money I would consider taking a trip to one or more of the areas you're interested in before you start applying for jobs, that way you have some idea where you want to be.

Allison3371
10/15/2012, 06:19 AM
There are tons of folks out here in South-Eastern VA with govenment contracts in the engineering field. We have Langley Air Force Base, NAB Norfolk, Oceana Naval Air Station, Damn Neck Naval Base, Fort Story Army, and a few more I'm forgetting. Minutes to the ocean and a couple hours from ski resorts. Not to mention we need more VX out this way. :)

VX MileHigh
10/15/2012, 06:24 AM
I moved to Colorado when I was 19 and I have never wanted to leave. There is so much to do in Colorado; skiing, boarding, rafting, climbing and 4 wheeling. The weather is mild compared to Wisconsin, I grew up in Iowa. The summers can be hold but there is almost no humidity. The winters are milder than you would think. Denver does have some heavy snow but generally only a couple of times each winter. There are some great companys as well, Martin Marietta, Ball, Sunstran and sevearl others. There is also that Colorado School of Mines and the University of Colorado for futher education, if you desire.

JAMAS
10/15/2012, 06:38 AM
Montana.....Gorgeous

vt_maverick
10/15/2012, 06:55 AM
If you're thinking about Denver take a look at ADIC and StorageTek, they're two of the leading companies in the mass storage systems market and they manufacture robotic media libraries. I worked with their systems for the first 5 years out of college, pretty cool stuff.

WormGod
10/15/2012, 07:02 AM
Come to the DC metro area if you have a love for traffic, politics, and cookie cutter suburbanites.

vt_maverick
10/15/2012, 07:21 AM
Come to the DC metro area if you have a love for traffic, politics, and cookie cutter suburbanites.

Lol... true dat, true dat. I lived way down in Fredericksburg and I still hated the commuter traffic. I read once that the average new resident of the DC metro area only stays 4 years before moving away.

Steer clear... :yesy:

VxSport
10/15/2012, 07:31 AM
You did a good job on our state's many good qualities.... However you did forget to mention that we get a average of 260 pure sunny days a year.

I moved to CO over 20 years ago..... you would have to drag me out.

I moved to Colorado when I was 19 and I have never wanted to leave. There is so much to do in Colorado; skiing, boarding, rafting, climbing and 4 wheeling. The weather is mild compared to Wisconsin, I grew up in Iowa. The summers can be hold but there is almost no humidity. The winters are milder than you would think. Denver does have some heavy snow but generally only a couple of times each winter. There are some great companys as well, Martin Marietta, Ball, Sunstran and sevearl others. There is also that Colorado School of Mines and the University of Colorado for futher education, if you desire.

Maddawg
10/15/2012, 08:23 AM
Montana.....Gorgeous

I agree! But freakin' cold.

VXorado
10/15/2012, 08:37 AM
I don't want to make this thread sound like a broken record but CO is awesome for almost everything outdoors. CO does lack in large bodies of water, so consider that an issue if boating is your thing. My wife and I are CO natives and have no plans to ever leave.

x2 for VX Mile High & VXsport's comments AND you get a big VX community on CO... :thumbup:

Also, a friend of mine is a mechanical engineer and works at Lockheed Martin in South Denver.

Maddawg
10/15/2012, 09:55 AM
I don't want to make this thread sound like a broken record but CO is awesome for almost everything outdoors. CO does lack in large bodies of water, so consider that an issue if boating is your thing. My wife and I are CO natives and have no plans to ever leave.

x2 for VX Mile High & VXsport's comments AND you get a big VX community on CO... :thumbup:

Also, a friend of mine is a mechanical engineer and works at Lockheed Martin in South Denver.

I agree! But freakin' cold. :bwgy:

nfpgasmask
10/15/2012, 11:45 AM
Go West my son, go West.

I moved out here from Chicago 6 years ago. There is NO comparison. Set your VehiCROSS free!!!

Bart

eblank
10/15/2012, 01:38 PM
Awesome guys this is helpful! Also, I didn't know all those companies were in Colorado. They're kind of up my ally since I've spent some time in aerospace at Sundstrand already. Its harder than it sounds to search companies by city. I went to Denver once and LOVED it, so leaning that direction, but I want to keep my eyes and mind open to all other ideas too.

KEEP IT UP! more opinions welcome, this is a major decision (duh...) so the more I know the better. I'd like to do some visiting. I'm hoping to get a couple places to fly me out for interviews if I can manage it. :yeso:

Maddawg
10/15/2012, 02:03 PM
Go West my son, go West.

I moved out here from Chicago 6 years ago. There is NO comparison. Set your VehiCROSS free!!!

Bart

Too freakin' cold there too! I am West (of you, lol).

nfpgasmask
10/15/2012, 02:12 PM
Too freakin' cold there too! I am West (of you, lol).

Reno? Cold? Naaaa. Chicago is cold. Wisconsin is cold. That place where Dub lives, is stupid cold. Reno has very mild weather in my opinion. I like 40s/50s/60s/70s. Outside of that is too cold or too hot.

Bart

H3_VX
10/15/2012, 05:46 PM
If you like mountains or skiing, move to NH.

HeckaTrebeka
10/15/2012, 06:06 PM
This should have been a poll thread, but I'm going to pitch in my two cents for WA. You get mountains, desert, snow, ocean, all within a few hours of each other! :)

Maddawg
10/15/2012, 06:18 PM
This should have been a poll thread, but I'm going to pitch in my two cents for WA. You get mountains, desert, snow, ocean, all within a few hours of each other! :)

You should work for the Chamber of Commerce, or do you, lol??:bwgy::bwgy:
You didn't mention the fog, rain for about six months a year. :yesy::yesy::yesy:

dietz99vcross
10/15/2012, 07:16 PM
Well if we are planning someone else's life. I think to stay in the automotive industry I would pick a small village called Sant'Agata Bolognese or perhaps the larger city Maranello.

RickOKC
10/15/2012, 07:17 PM
Hmmm, trying to think of how to promote Oklahoma. Our license plate slogan used to be "Oklahoma is OK" which I always thought was the same as putting on, "Hi, we're mediocre." :)

Seriously, though... if you spend a little time looking around - it's actually kinda neat! Desert-like scrub in the southwest, some big sand dune-y areas in the northwest and hills / forests in the east. Lots of great fishing lakes & rivers and the Wichita Mountain range (while ancient and worn down to nubs) are awesome for hiking, climbing and exploring. Most of these various terrains are about 2-3 hours away from the near-exact center of the state, Oklahoma City.

Oklahoma City-life is also also diverse. Like any major city there are rich and impoverished areas intermixed with phenomenally wonderful schools and universities. Rabid allegiance to collage sports, OKC Thunder basketball and minor league hockey & baseball. We have plenty of world class employers interested in engineering talent.

Housing? Cost of living? WOW! Cheap, cheap, cheap!

May not be a first choice for those not willing to go out of their way for outdoor excitement, but due to the low cost of living is a prime early retirement spot.

HeckaTrebeka
10/15/2012, 09:32 PM
You should work for the Chamber of Commerce, or do you, lol??:bwgy::bwgy:
You didn't mention the fog, rain for about six months a year. :yesy::yesy::yesy:

Haha, well if I sound like I'm promoting Washington, it's because I've lived here almost all my life(with one year lived in AZ) ;po;

We just had an end to this year's 80 day drought which, IMHO, I can't wait to bring on the rain! But really, there are desert areas of Washington which do not see that much rain. Overall, Washington is drier than most other states. It's just the western coast of Washington that gets most the rain. I would say more like 9 months out of the year! I live on the rainy side of WA, but I love the rain and it really help you to appreciate the summer months when it's hot and dry out here. :supercool

fuzzy
10/15/2012, 10:03 PM
I'll add another vote for Colorado. Wasn't enthralled with the Fredericksburg/DC area. MD is a pit. Orlando is like Hampton Roads for me... great for work and play for a while, but it gets old quick. I will say that if you can find someone to pay you to live out here, Hawaii doesn't suck. When that gets old for me, I'll try the Pacific Northwest next (unless I can con someone into paying me to live in NZ) before I return to Colorado.

VXR
10/16/2012, 01:35 PM
I like 40s/50s/60s/70s. Outside of that is too cold or too hot.

We just had an end to this year's 80 day drought which, IMHO, I can't wait to bring on the rain!

X2 on both:yesb:

Maddawg
10/16/2012, 05:57 PM
If you're not living in California you're in denial. :yeso: :yeso: :yeso: :yeso: :yeso: :yeso: :yeso: :yeso:

pbkid
10/16/2012, 07:36 PM
Another vote for CO here. There is absolutely every outdoor activity possible, plus the general public is the friendliest i've ever met. Our general cost of living is pretty reasonable, definately much cheaper than any of the coasts.

Plus it never hurts to live in a state where there is a big following of 'car buffs'. Like Jon said, more sunshine than any other state.
Sure, there are about 3-4 months of the year where its chilly and snows, but its nothing compared to where you are now, much drier and it melts by the next day, and the weather is back up to mid 60's.
some of the cheapest gas in the nation, which doesnt hurt when you drive a VX ;-)

HeckaTrebeka
10/17/2012, 05:56 AM
Another vote for CO here. There is absolutely every outdoor activity possible, plus the general public is the friendliest i've ever met. Our general cost of living is pretty reasonable, definately much cheaper than any of the coasts.

Plus it never hurts to live in a state where there is a big following of 'car buffs'. Like Jon said, more sunshine than any other state.
Sure, there are about 3-4 months of the year where its chilly and snows, but its nothing compared to where you are now, much drier and it melts by the next day, and the weather is back up to mid 60's.
some of the cheapest gas in the nation, which doesnt hurt when you drive a VX ;-)

Aaaand with legalization just around the corner... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You know.

tom4bren
10/17/2012, 07:30 AM
Going off topic ... but not too far:

Does it really matter where you live? Engin-nerds are globally type classified. :)

vt_maverick
10/17/2012, 09:10 AM
...Our general cost of living is pretty reasonable, definately much cheaper than any of the coasts...

This might be true of the West Coast (especially California) but it isn't true of the entire East Coast by a long shot. Boston, New York, DC, Miami for sure, but there are a lot of cheap places to live between.

pbkid
10/17/2012, 11:41 AM
Aaaand with legalization just around the corner... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You know.
around the corner? you mean on every corner, right? Its legal here now, if thats your thing.

This might be true of the West Coast (especially California) but it isn't true of the entire East Coast by a long shot. Boston, New York, DC, Miami for sure, but there are a lot of cheap places to live between.

didnt know that, ive only lived in Cali, never been to the east, but i hear its expensive.

PHO2GR4
10/17/2012, 03:26 PM
There is only one answer: Austin, Texas. It's like Texas, without all those idiot redneck Texans. In brief:
1) Excellent weather. Maybe a bit hot in August, but we have cold beer for that.
2) Tons of outdoor activities: 4 wheelin', fishin', campin', hills, beaches, Big Bend, Piney Woods, Corpus Christie, kayaking, bicycling, dog parks... um... food... rodeos... the Alamo, with Pee Wee's bike in the basement...
3) Low cost of living, relative to so many other "popular" areas.
4) VIBRANT economy, with tons of jobs for engineers and such.
5) Strong housing market: low enough prices to buy what you want, with good year-to-year appreciation.
6) All of the benefits of being both a capitol city and a university city. Lots of money for schools and other infrastructure.
7) South By South West and Austin City Limits music festivals!!! We're the self-proclaimed "Live Music Capitol of the World!"
8) Breakfast tacos.

HeckaTrebeka
10/17/2012, 04:07 PM
around the corner? you mean on every corner, right? Its legal here now, if thats your thing.

Decriminalization is there. Not Legalization. HUGE difference when it comes to this, class 1 felony, drug.

vt_maverick
10/18/2012, 09:17 AM
Ditto on PHO2GR4's recommendation, my wife just visited there a few months ago and loved it.

tom4bren
10/18/2012, 09:49 AM
Ditto on PHO2GR4's recommendation, my wife just visited there a few months ago and loved it.

The city motto is: "Keep Austin Wierd".

Who wouldn't want to live there???

VX MileHigh
10/18/2012, 02:01 PM
The city motto is: "Keep Austin Wierd".

Who wouldn't want to live there???I think you have that wrong "Keep Boulder Wierd". If is was going to move any where in Texas it would be Austin. I visited the city and it was very nice. I like Colorado much better but there is a lot to be said about Austin.

eblank
10/18/2012, 03:19 PM
I've thought about Austin. It probably would be a "smart" choice since its cheap and there's tons of jobs from what I understand, and I know people love it there.... but I don't do heat.... Even this summer in IL made me lazy and not want to go outside much. My wife and I do much better in cooler weather. Plus we love snowboarding :bwgy:

vt_maverick
10/18/2012, 03:22 PM
Then I think CO or UT really are your best options...

Ldub
10/18/2012, 04:09 PM
Reno? Cold? Naaaa. Chicago is cold. Wisconsin is cold. That place where Dub lives, is stupid cold. Reno has very mild weather in my opinion. I like 40s/50s/60s/70s. Outside of that is too cold or too hot.

Bart

I know people love it there.... but I don't do heat.... Even this summer in IL made me lazy and not want to go outside much. My wife and I do much better in cooler weather. Plus we love snowboarding :bwgy:

Even this far nort, I had the same experience this summer...totally lethargic...:(
So ya may as well live in a place that has mild winters...the summers are hot everywhere.
The summers aren't as humid, & the winters are perfect...but in all the places those conditions exist...there are too many damn people...go figger...:_thinking
(I'm talk'n Hawaii, SoCal, etc here)

My 2 centavos...FWIW

RickOKC
10/18/2012, 05:55 PM

Bart
Besides, I saw on the news that their favorite pastime is feeding people through wood chippers (or was that a movie?) Regardless, I don't trust them. :biggringr

You know.
<gulp> Oklahoma recommendation officially withdrawn. Even though we have a long history of "that" being one of our top cash crops, any minute now we will probably re-institute the requirement for men to wear buckles on our hats and women will be barred from showing their wrists. :rolleyesg

There is only one answer: Austin, Texas. It's like Texas, without all those idiot redneck Texans. In brief:
1) Excellent weather. Maybe a bit hot in August, but we have cold beer for that.
2) Tons of outdoor activities: 4 wheelin', fishin', campin', hills, beaches, Big Bend, Piney Woods, Corpus Christie, kayaking, bicycling, dog parks... um... food... rodeos... the Alamo, with Pee Wee's bike in the basement...
3) Low cost of living, relative to so many other "popular" areas.
4) VIBRANT economy, with tons of jobs for engineers and such.
5) Strong housing market: low enough prices to buy what you want, with good year-to-year appreciation.
6) All of the benefits of being both a capitol city and a university city. Lots of money for schools and other infrastructure.
7) South By South West and Austin City Limits music festivals!!! We're the self-proclaimed "Live Music Capitol of the World!"
8) Breakfast tacos.
Hmmm, I hear really great things about how Austin is not only "Engineer Heaven", it could also be considered the easternmost city in California (or is that California should be considered the westernmost section of Texas?) Whatever, it's a REALLY neat place! Breakfast tacos -- OH HECK YEAH!

Ldub
10/18/2012, 10:16 PM
Besides, I saw on the news that their favorite pastime is feeding people through wood chippers (or was that a movie?) Regardless, I don't trust them. :biggringr

That'd be our 2nd fav passtime...:yesgray:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6V9-YEWuXKc/UGpDMM-NVkI/AAAAAAAACFY/NDSPokN8Sas/s400/magnets-funny-he-took-up-so-much-more-space-on-the-s.jpg

By way of observation, with a bit of reason & logic applied, I dare say that staring through a hole in the ice, waiting for a stupid fish to bite your hook, is at the top of the list...at least in the 9 months of winter we usually experience.

You may ask yourself..."self, why do people do that sort of thing?"...to which your self should reply...

"See below schnapps ad"...:smilewink

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUCoNsxf_AVIiGWtqaS3wXEJr9su_4o Gi50WjOB16RQkGbx9du

OH whoops...I was saving that for the "dynamic duo"...:laughing:

Here's the right img...

OK...I couldn't find the ad copy, but it was a pic like this...

http://www.markjensenwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/icefishing01.jpg

& the caption read:

Is Jim coming fishing today?

Naaaaa...his wife lets him drink at home...

Maddawg
10/18/2012, 10:31 PM
I could try to convince you that the coastal areas of California are the best places to live weatherwise (about 72 deg year 'round) but you probably couldn't afford it anyway. Plus we got enuf furiners living here already. Dont come! :bgwo: :bgwo: :bgwo:

Leon R
10/19/2012, 11:15 AM
I went into ME field for the same EXACT reason! I wanted to design cars! At first, I realized that if I wanted to design cars I had to move to Michigan (something I did NOT wanted to do). So to tie me over, I started working for industrial automation company (robot design). My first boss happened to be an ex-Ford engineer, who just left Ford after 6 years there (this was back in '94/'94). He was on the modular V8 engine design team (the folks who ACTUALLY designed that engine!!!), which sounded very cool to me!

That is when he introduced me to the reality of "designing cars"... Very few engineers actually design cars! Everyone is highly specialized, so they are all working on components: a hinge, a bracket, or small structure/mechanism. And when it comes down to such component design, does it really matter if it ends on Ford Mustang or the next robot that is going to build that Ford Mustang? His mentor at Ford was PHD engineer who did nothing but crank bolts for almost 30 years (BOLTS!!! and nothing else!!!)

I, eventually, decided to stick to designing robots and did LOTS of car work (wrenching, fabricating, tuning and racing) as a side hobby ;).

As for specific areas, you better like Michigan if you want to design on cars... (because that is where you will find most of automotive jobs).

New England doesn't have many automotive engineering jobs (there is Factory Five, Callaway, and a few limo design/building companies), but... there are plenty of other ME jobs! So if you are having a hard time find any job, and willing to go into some other field, check out Mass and Southern NH.

Something else to consider, not only automotive engineering jobs are rare, they also do not pay as much as other fields. One of my friends got a job offer at Callaway (in CT) as an FIA analyst. He spent years trying to get into that place! But the offer was so low that he had to pass on it :(.

Maddawg
10/19/2012, 01:18 PM
There are automotive design studios here in California as well. The big three auto makers use them for advance design concepts. I believe the new Chevy Camero was born here among others.

I was born and raised in Detroit, came here when I was 25. Found reasonably affordable college tuitions and was employed in the aircraft industry for close to 40 years. I worked as a design engineer for that time and was steadily employed. Hurrah for California!!

vt_maverick
10/19/2012, 06:37 PM
OK...I couldn't find the ad copy, but it was a pic like this...

http://www.markjensenwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/icefishing01.jpg

& the caption read:

Is Jim coming fishing today?

Naaaaa...his wife lets him drink at home...

Too true, went ice fishing with the father-in-law up in northern Wisconsin a couple Christmas's ago. There's nothing like lugging your shack and gear across a sheet of ice through a roaring 50 MPH wind. And after all that effort you can expect to catch mostly (at least in this lake) 6" fish.

I really want to try that tip-up fishing though, seems like all the fun with none of the actually holding the fishing pole part required. ;)

CrnCnn
10/20/2012, 02:21 PM
I would go back to Reno if I could. I miss it for sure. I regret my decision to move back to AZ on the daily. For you tho, I understand it was rated pretty high on the list for lack of jobs right now. If you like the heat and crap roads the you could try at Raytheon here in Tucson. My friend works there as a mech engineer and makes good money. Phoenix may have more options for you.

Maddawg
11/03/2012, 11:06 AM
The weather is mild compared to Wisconsin, I grew up in Iowa. The summers can be hold but there is almost no humidity. The winters are milder than you would think.

But not this mild. I'll paste another one at the beginning of December. This is from the MSN weather page.:p

Hesperia, CA (92345) - Clear, 64ー
Saturday77ー / 51ー Sunday79ー / 53ー Monday81ー / 51ー Tuesday80ー / 52ー

Maddawg
11/19/2012, 10:50 AM
Again from the MSN weather page.

Hesperia, CA (92345) - Clear, 57ー
Monday64ー / 40ー Tuesday68ー / 42ー Wednesday65ー / 42ー Thursday68ー / 45ー

pbkid
11/19/2012, 11:33 AM
Huh, looks just like my weather.com app for denver :)

Maddawg
11/19/2012, 08:58 PM
Huh, looks just like my weather.com app for denver :)

Wait til next month, heheheheheh.

mdwyer
11/21/2012, 02:40 PM
There is only one answer: Austin, Texas. It's like Texas, without all those idiot redneck Texans.

...and yet still in Texas. I'll take Austin seriously when it succeeds from Texas. Until then, this card-carrying lefty pinko liberal tosses another vote in for Colorado.

We're dead-frickin'-last as being obese, and we're well educated. There's a lot of engineering and tech out here, and it isn't all rocks and oil. Cable/Satellite TV pretty much started here, so there's plenty of communications tech, here, and we've got a strong television market. Some of those communications bounce off satellites that are manufactured here by Ball or Lockheed/Martin. For some reason, there's a lot of biosciences companies. If Saccharomyces cerevisiae is your thing, there's plenty of places around here to put that skill to work. If computers are your thing, there's scatterings of all the big ones here. Between NREL, Vestas, and a dozen solar startups, there plenty of work in renewables up here, too.

I think Austin does have a scene that we can't yet top, but we're getting closer every day. South Park and Book or Mormon came from here. We're exporting some pretty good acts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Colorado#Colorado_Bands_and_Artists), lately; we've come a long way from John Denver. We've got awesome venues like Red Rocks. We've got a full complement of sports teams in beautiful stadiums (...glossing over that whole NHL thing for the moment...). We've got nearly 50% more Roller Derby teams than Texas, despite being 1/3 the size.

We can buy liquor on Sundays. Finally.

We're pretty welcoming. Now, you'll have to get used to some things if you come here. You probably won't need your suit and tie anymore. Sorry. You might have to add some jeans to your wardrobe. When you get to the state line, you're assigned a late-model Subaru and a fleece jacket. You're going to have to get used to green chile being poured on everything. You'll be able to get a steak at a drive-up window, but good seafood will be trickier.

Did I miss anything?

Maddawg
11/21/2012, 02:51 PM
The weather, its all about the weather.

Hesperia, CA (92345) - Clear, 72ー
Wednesday72ー / 41ー Thursday66ー / 43ー Friday68ー / 46ー Saturday69ー / 46ー

Denver, CO (80203) - Clear, 72ー
Wednesday73ー / 41ー Thursday55ー / 30ー Friday52ー / 30ー Saturday64ー / 34ー

Maddawg
11/23/2012, 02:25 PM
Just another crappy day in pardise.

Hesperia, CA (92345) - Clear, 72ツー
Friday72ツー / 44ツー Saturday72ツー / 46ツー Sunday72ツー / 45ツー Monday65ツー / 43ツー

Denver, CO (80203) - Clear, 50ツー
Friday48ツー / 33ツー Saturday70ツー / 33ツー Sunday60ツー / 28ツー Monday42ツー / 21ツー

vt_maverick
11/23/2012, 03:41 PM
...and yet still in Texas. I'll take Austin seriously when it succeeds from Texas. Until then, this card-carrying lefty pinko liberal tosses another vote in for Colorado.

You know people say the same thing about Boulder and Colorado too...

Both are good options IMHO.

pbkid
11/23/2012, 04:43 PM
You know people say the same thing about Boulder and Colorado too...

Both are good options IMHO.
Boulder, yes, absolutely. Buncha crazy hippies (beautiful place, crazy pp). Colorado, not as much, depends on the city.

Maddawg
12/03/2012, 03:09 PM
ahem!

Hesperia, CA (92345) - Partly Cloudy, 70ツー
Monday68ツー / 46ツー Tuesday67ツー / 46ツー Wednesday69ツー / 47ツー Thursday63ツー / 43ツー

Denver, CO (80203) - Clear, 53ツー
Monday57ツー / 29ツー Tuesday59ツー / 35ツー Wednesday67ツー / 35ツー Thursday50ツー / 27ツー

:bwgy: :bwgy: :bwgy: :bwgy: :bwgy:

eblank
12/04/2012, 03:14 PM
Bless you...

California was a serious option. I like the idea, but the wife isn't so keen on it. Currently we're looking for jobs in the Denver direction. So if anyone has any cool engineering or PR job ideas in CO, speak up!

pbkid
12/04/2012, 05:25 PM
Bless you...

California was a serious option. I like the idea, but the wife isn't so keen on it. Currently we're looking for jobs in the Denver direction. So if anyone has any cool engineering or PR job ideas in CO, speak up!

nice! good choice!

I hope we see you out here for the next CO meet up :)

tom4bren
12/05/2012, 06:37 AM
nice! good choice!

I hope we see you out here for the next CO meet up :)

PBJ sammiches provided???:)

pbkid
12/05/2012, 09:23 AM
PBJ sammiches provided???:)

Sure, why not ?! ;)

Nothing like living in the CO :)

Triathlete
12/05/2012, 09:34 AM
ahem!

Hesperia, CA (92345) - Partly Cloudy, 70テつー
Monday68テつー / 46テつー Tuesday67テつー / 46テつー Wednesday69テつー / 47テつー Thursday63テつー / 43テつー

Denver, CO (80203) - Clear, 53テつー
Monday57テつー / 29テつー Tuesday59テつー / 35テつー Wednesday67テつー / 35テつー Thursday50テつー / 27テつー

:bwgy: :bwgy: :bwgy: :bwgy: :bwgy:

All I can say is...

...damn, it's cold in California! :)
Sunshine filled 81ツー here today.

Maddawg
12/26/2012, 02:03 PM
All I can say is...

...damn, it's cold in California! :)
Sunshine filled 81ー here today.

Sure Az is always going to kickass in the winter time. My comparison is with Colorado. I think it was VXorado that said the winters were mild there, lol.

Hesperia, CA (92345) - Clear, 48ー
Wednesday48ー / 31ー Thursday46ー / 29ー Friday47ー / 30ー Saturday47ー / 31ー

Denver, CO (80203) - Mostly Sunny, 26ー
Wednesday28ー / 13ー Thursday30ー / 11ー Friday31ー / 6ー Saturday33ー / 10ー

15 to 20 deg warmer here during the day, look at those horrible night time temps. AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGG!

pbkid
12/26/2012, 06:14 PM
wow, I cant believe you are still monitoring this thread Maddawg...

You are correct, you live in the warmer state, we arent arguing that here in Colorado. But we do appreciate many other things about the state.
Like the ability to get outside and do just about any outdoor activity you can dream of, car clubs galore, consistently rated some of the nicest and happiest people on the planet.
oh, and you cant forget that I can buy a gorgeous 2500 square foot home in a very very affluent neighborhood for $300,000.
Lemme know how much that costs in Santa Monica (which is what I would consider comparible), probably around 3 million? 10 times the living cost? hmm.
also, dont forget we get a quarter acre lot for that 1/10th cost, while you get a great view of your neighbors bathroom.

:p

all in good love brother.

Maddawg
12/26/2012, 06:22 PM
wow, I cant believe you are still monitoring this thread Maddawg...

You are correct, you live in the warmer state, we arent arguing that here in Colorado. But we do appreciate many other things about the state.
Like the ability to get outside and do just about any outdoor activity you can dream of, car clubs galore, consistently rated some of the nicest and happiest people on the planet.
oh, and you cant forget that I can buy a gorgeous 2500 square foot home in a very very affluent neighborhood for $300,000.
Lemme know how much that costs in Santa Monica (which is what I would consider comparible), probably around 3 million? 10 times the living cost? hmm.
also, dont forget we get a quarter acre lot for that 1/10th cost, while you get a great view of your neighbors bathroom.

:p

all in good love brother.

You're right about Santa Monica, but you don't have an ocean. Now where I live you can have a 2400 sq ft house on 1/2 an acre with mountain views for $175K.

Ldub
12/26/2012, 07:02 PM
You're right about Santa Monica, but you don't have an ocean. Now where I live you can have a 2400 sq ft house on 1/2 an acre with mountain views for $175K.

I dunno about Cali's "windy city"...:_thinking

No dis meant MD, but there ain't a lot of things to recommend Hesperia, according to some of these posts...maybe things have gotten better?

Did the constant wind quit blowing because of global warming?

I'll let those who live(d) there say the rest...:smilewink

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-bernardino-riverside-counties/934227-moving-hesperia.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-bernardino-riverside-counties/136018-hesperia-adelanto-victorville-your-thoughts.html

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=18&cad=rja&ved=0CHQQFjAHOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.city-data.com%2Fcity%2FHesperia-California.html&ei=ALfbUNUtxuqpAbSbgaAH&usg=AFQjCNE-OZl5c41vRU3fuBUzC7_U9SzayA&sig2=IPRX9st48kM1ZCkPO3M7sA

Maddawg
12/26/2012, 07:37 PM
I dunno about Cali's "windy city"...:_thinking

No dis meant MD, but there ain't a lot of things to recommend Hesperia, according to some of these posts...maybe things have gotten better?

Did the constant wind quit blowing because of global warming?

I'll let those who live(d) there say the rest...:smilewink

Tsk, tsk, tsk, such negativity. Show me a town where there aren't drugs and crime in this country or any other. We don't have a corner on the market in spite of what is said in the noted forums. What is true is we do have wind. But I can say this, without the wind you would be living in the dead heat of Arizona. I have lived in so-called higher income, higher class towns and THEY were true hell holes. Impossible to sleep at night because of parties, sirens, aircraft, wide-open exhaust pipes ad infinitum. I love it here, yeah its changed in the last 17 years since I moved here and maybe not for the better, but still better than where I had lived previously.

Ldub
12/26/2012, 07:57 PM
Tsk, tsk, tsk, such negativity.

Not trying to be negative in the least my friend, I'm just the type of feller who see's a rock on the ground, & can't resist turning it over...:smilewink

AND...FWIW, I dunno what tsk even means...:_confused

Is that where someone pretends their finger is a carrot, & their other finger is a carrot peeler?

I never did get that...:_thinking

As they say, ignorance is bliss...:dance:

Maddawg
12/27/2012, 07:16 AM
At least you don't pretend to pass off the winters in Fargo, ND as "mild". But I know it has to be beautiful there in the summer, much like Colorado, Wyoming and Washington. But when it gets to 100+ here in the dead of summer I wish I were back down the hill in Long Beach with the nice cool ocean air. That's when I go out to the Jacuzzi spa with a pitcher full of margherita's and sink slowly beneath the waves.

Ldub
12/27/2012, 06:55 PM
At least you don't pretend to pass off the winters in Fargo, ND as "mild". But I know it has to be beautiful there in the summer, much like Colorado, Wyoming and Washington.

Oh HELLZ no...ND is a hell hole year round....I'M AWARE

We get them 7 nice days in the spring, followed by hellish heat & humidity, then we get the 9 nice days in the fall, followed by hell frozen over.

DON'T... NONE of ya COME UP HERE...EVER!!!!!

The only place I've been that has worser humidity & just plain "wet blanket uncomfortableness" during the summer months, was the SC shore in AUG.
Just can't handle hot-n-humid. -30, I can dress for, don't necessarily always LIKE it, but...:_confused

I always feel like I've accomplished something, just by marching across the mondo jovial tundroidial terrain, eye's frozen wide open, snotsicles staligmite-ing down from my nostrillic openings...Just to take out tha trash.

Of COURSE the crime rate is low here...:yesgray:

It's my long held belief, that all the crappiest climates are still populated for reason...if you get a grasp on it, please do tell me why I live this far nort...:smilewink

pbkid
12/27/2012, 08:02 PM
Ya, im with dub. Its really really terrible here, dont anyone move here ;)

Maddawg
12/29/2012, 09:30 AM
Yeah, really terrible here, sunshine, wind, dust and...........................
EXHIBIT A http://i48.tinypic.com/2ltoin8.jpg
EHXIBIT Bhttp://i49.tinypic.com/142svvc.jpg
but whatever you do, don't come here, lol.