PDA

View Full Version : A weekend of fluids...

jeeperkate
10/05/2012, 07:15 AM
The good news: we got the 4th new shock on Betty with only a small fight last night. While the boyfriend was using the "man-power" on the shock :cool!:, I was using the "woman-power" :flower: on differential fuild checks, tranny fluid check, and a transfer case fuild check.

The bad news: all my fluids are dirty :eek: "gonna catch me riding dirty..." now I will have to spend the weekend up to my elbows in fluid :p

We are going to wait until next week to do the transmission since that's a bit more involved, but I just wanted to ask what fluid everyone uses in their diffs and transfer case? I did some searching on the forum and couldn't find many fluid threads. :?: What do you use in your transfer case and diffs? Switch to Royal Purple? Do I have to flush the T-case to switch to Royal Purple, or can I just drain it and refill with Royal Purple?

When it comes to the transmission, have you guys/gals switched to synthetic? If you did switch, did you have to flush the transmission before switching? I really do NOT want to flush the transmisson, so I am thinking about sticking with th Dexron III. Or, like above, can I just drain it and replace with syn? Opinions please?

THANKS everyone!! :bgwb:

cheetah2390
10/05/2012, 07:28 AM
I recently did my T-case and am going to do the transmission one of these weekends. I used Amsoil ATF https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx?zo=1173195 for the T-case, just drained and filled. I haven't done the transmission yet but I wasn't planning on flushing it first.

Scott Larson
10/05/2012, 07:30 AM
I switched everything over to Amsoil synthetics when I got mine with 150,000 miles on it and have had no issues. You don't have to flush anything, just pull all the plugs when the fluids are hot and the gunk should still be in suspension. DO NOT FLUSH THE TRANS!! For most that do, that's when the problems start. Just pull both pans and drain, replace the filter and gaskets, and drain the trans cooler.

MSHardeman
10/05/2012, 07:44 AM
Like Scott, I went fully synthetic with Amsoil in everything (front and rear diff, transfer case and transmission) many years ago and haven't looked back. Had the front and rear diff serviced a couple of years after the switch (just as a precaution) and the mechanic said that the old fluid looked brand new, but I had them replace it anyway.

Mile High VX
10/05/2012, 08:54 AM
Full synthetics here as well...

Royal Purple in the diffs.

As mentioned before, but worth stating again...DO NOT flush your transmission.

jeeperkate
10/05/2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the help guys!

I am certainly with all of you on not flushing the transmission due to lessons learned from my Jeep - 60k miles and I had to put in a new/used transmission less than 100 miles after a flush. At least I could do the job myself (with help from friends) ...otherwise OUCH!! :yesb:

CowboyErik
10/05/2012, 09:41 PM
Beware the main pan is tough to get out if you don't take the 3rd crossmember off, it's a serious pain, I supported my frame, sprayed crossmember bolts with plenty of penetrating oil for a day, resprayed and started to loosen them, my 4 drivers side ones loosened with breaker bar, the passenger side sucked, I got two loose, then 3rd one snapped off at the head, so I decided to find another way; when I went retork the them, I snapped off another head bolt on same side so I got only 2 good on passenger side; only to discover that by taking off the skid plate in the center of the crossmember and loosening the tranny mounting bolts as far out as I could, then jack up transfer case you can get plenty of access to the rear most pan bolts with a 10mm 1/4 inch flex head and rachet, I was able to get 3/8th inch drive in the space also with a 3/8drive 10mm flex head socket but I found that to be to tight for my hands and I feared stripping and over tightening, more feel with 1/4inch tools and 10mm flex head socket from sears. You gotta get that pan cleaned out perfect especially the magnet; mine was a mess due to intercooler blowing and the ensueing tranny damage; still down; gonna get it hot in the morning, drain some fluid and try Lucas Oil's Tranny fix, currently only drives in 1st gear; gonna have my local shop pull my tranny and install a used 4L30E from a salvage yard, dozens available cheap, just unknown condition and longevity; maybe in the meantime learn to rebuild my old tranny, I'm faily certain I only burned up my clutch packs as I just had black in my pan, good fluid in lines and shut down quick, just not quick enough.....http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0454OPT.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22858)

princejazzbo
10/06/2012, 01:56 AM
Out of curiosity how much fluid is needed for front and rear differentials, transfer case, and transmission. Need to flush all my fluids but not sure on quantity

Scott Larson
10/06/2012, 06:54 AM
Out of curiosity how much fluid is needed for front and rear differentials, transfer case, and transmission. Need to flush all my fluids but not sure on quantity

Funny you should ask, I just covered this with jeeperkate in a PM. The front diff is 1.5 quarts of 80w-90, the rear diff is 2.2 quarts of 80w-90, the transfer case is 2 quarts of Dexron III ATF and the transmission is 9.1 quarts of Dexron II ATF. When you drain the transmission, you'll only get 7 quarts out as 2 will remain in the torque converter. Also the rear limited slip diff uses 7 ounces of friction modifier as per Isuzu's recommendation, but the total capacity is still 2.2 quarts.

Ldub
10/06/2012, 07:20 PM
Amzoil in every conceivable orifice...including zerks, since about 10k...now creep'n up on 100k.

Scott Larson
10/07/2012, 08:00 AM
Amzoil in every conceivable orifice...including zerks, since about 10k...now creep'n up on 100k.

You are referring to your VX, right?! :bgwo: :rotate:

Ldub
10/07/2012, 08:21 AM
You are referring to your VX, right?! :bgwo: :rotate:

Lemme check...

Yep...I'm good...:yesgray:

IndianaVX
05/15/2013, 10:10 AM
Am I hurting anything by putting Dex/Merc in transmission instead of actual dexron 3? on back label it mentions using it in Dexron 3 applications. I got the dexmerc high mileage (im at 182,000). It mentions helping with leaks, slippage, shudder, and gear wear. figured this was a good thing.