PDA

View Full Version : Gear Whine, is it normal??

boelt63A
10/03/2012, 07:14 PM
I just purchased a 2000 Vcross with about 63K on it. I have had several 4WD vehicles but never noticed the gear whine like on this beast.
When accelerating it sounds great, but as soon as I let off the accelerator the gears start whining. When I decelerate it gets downright loud!!
Is this the norm?? :confused:
It sounds a lot like my 6X6 Pinzgauer!!! ;ooo;

PK
10/03/2012, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the club.
Definitely not normal.
With my music off, the loudest noise is tyre noise on the road - what tyres are you running??
Other suggestions would be a lift done badly, or no lubrication in the 3 grease nipples in the rear drive shaft.

If you have the technology to do record the noise, you could post it up for others to comment on.

Good luck with it.

PK

kehecross
10/03/2012, 08:20 PM
I just purchased a 2000 Vcross with about 63K on it. I have had several 4WD vehicles but never noticed the gear whine like on this beast.
When accelerating it sounds great, but as soon as I let off the accelerator the gears start whining. When I decelerate it gets downright loud!!
Is this the norm?? :confused:
It sounds a lot like my 6X6 Pinzgauer!!! ;ooo;

Check your tire pressures! Try to keep them within 2lbs. I get a gear whine when slowing down if one of the front tires is low on air.;)

tom4bren
10/04/2012, 05:48 AM
Also, get on your knees in front of your VX. After thanking the Lord for blessing you with such a sweet ride:), look at your front axle. Are all 4 of the CV boots in good shape. When one of my inners went TU, it sounded like a lawn mower whenever decelerating. By the time I found it, the boot was torn in half, there was no grease in the CV and the joint was toast.

HeckaTrebeka
10/04/2012, 06:10 AM
Also, make sure your 4Lo is completely disengaged. I had the whine on my VX when I first got it and I found out that it was from the previous owner placing the rig into 4Lo and back into 4Hi but the Lo didn't disengage completely until I was on a hill going upward... It's weird. Probably due to him never using the 4Lo and it could be in need of some lube.

evillecutter
10/04/2012, 06:21 AM
i had the same type of noise noise when i bought mine but it was fixed when i bought 4 new matching tires and made sure the pressure was equal in all of them - thanks to this website i knew that this was most likely the problem but i used that fact to get a better deal

boelt63A
10/04/2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the info!!
I will check the tires and boots but this definitely sounds more gear related. Coming from the rear more than front and equal; not one side more than the other. Worried that it is differential. The transfer case was rebuilt right before I got the truck so I really hope it isn't that!

evillecutter
10/04/2012, 11:04 AM
i would love to drive about 5 different vx's jsut to see the differences (if any) - its so hard to diagnose such a rare vehicle when you have no comparison - mine is the only vx i have ever seen in person so i really cant tell if its nice or a p.o.s. - either way i like it a lot

pbkid
10/04/2012, 11:23 AM
Ive driven multiple VX's and each one is different, but probably more due to modification level.
Moab is always a good chance to ride in VX's.

I think so far, sue's vx was the smoothest one ive been in.

boelt63A
10/04/2012, 03:15 PM
Mine might be a POS but I think I am going to enjoy our time together! Basically it is a Stock truck with relatively low miles on it. I snatched it up from a Honda dealer who got it in trde for something. They re did the transfer case before ibought it but it still makes some noise. Benefit of getting it from a dealer is that I got a 3 year 36,000 mile warrantee on it! But I want to avoid any major problems if you know what I mean.

Maddawg
10/04/2012, 05:18 PM
Mine makes a whining sound (more like a deep sigh) when I am slowing to a stop. I have given up some years ago worrying about this kind of stuff. It will break and then I'll know what it was, lol.

boelt63A
10/05/2012, 11:39 AM
:bgwo:@ Maddawg, I like that mentality!!

Maddawg
10/05/2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks, cause I was sure I would meet with a lot of negativity over that remark.:grino::grino::grino:

rockhavok
10/05/2012, 06:36 PM
Mine sounds like a pencil sharpener when I slow down, it's not the brakes. Gave up on it. Some day it will be a grind then a sequel or thud. Then I'll know what it has been all along.

Maddawg
10/05/2012, 07:06 PM
Mine sounds like a pencil sharpener when I slow down, it's not the brakes. Gave up on it. Some day it will be a grind then a sequel or thud. Then I'll know what it has been all along.

Or it'll just fall off, heheh.;)

evillecutter
10/10/2012, 07:32 AM

you are not alone

JAMAS
10/10/2012, 07:35 AM
I had a similar sound when a pinion bearing was in need of replacement.

and/or if the pinion nut was reused vs. being replaced after being removed once.

boelt63A
10/10/2012, 08:58 AM
Pencil sharpener is close to what it sounds like and only when I slow down! At this point it isn't getting worse and nothing is falling off so I am going to call it Normal!

evillecutter
10/10/2012, 09:28 AM
im assuming the whining is the tod doing its thing and mine does it much less if i have all 4 tires EXACTLY the same psi, but i also get a bit of a grab and a slight clunk when coming to a stop, then a drop when i let off the brakes - im assuming its something binding inside the diff or brake systems doing something weird, but depending on how i drive it gets worse and better all the time - ive found threads in the archives of people buying their vx's brand new and having the same experiences so im not so sure it couldnt be an engineering flaw, but either way im not really worried about it

Ldub
10/10/2012, 10:06 AM
Mine makes a whining sound (more like a deep sigh) when I am slowing to a stop. I have given up some years ago worrying about this kind of stuff. It will break and then I'll know what it was, lol.

Pencil sharpener is close to what it sounds like and only when I slow down! At this point it isn't getting worse and nothing is falling off so I am going to call it Normal!

Same-same...unless something is REALLY making a heck of a racket, it'll either be OK, or eventually fall off...:yesgray:

As long as you're up on your lube schedule, & that includes front bearing & drive line/steering/suspension component grease, most everything will be all right.
(my tie rods, sway bar bushings, & lower links are all greaseable)

Maddawg
10/10/2012, 11:00 AM
As long as you're up on your lube schedule, & that includes front bearing & drive line/steering/suspension component grease, most everything will be all right.
(my tie rods, sway bar bushings, & lower links are all greaseable)

Damn, you're good at this guilt trip stuff. Now I gotta go get under the VX and grease it. Been four years since.:(

Ldub
10/10/2012, 11:05 AM
Damn, you're good at this guilt trip stuff.

LOL...I'm a rank amateur.

Had an aunt that turned pro when she opened her own guilt trip travel agency...:laughing:

boelt63A
12/01/2012, 07:58 PM
The whine all but went away with new tires. The front two were a whole lot more worn than the back two and that must have thrown something off.